Jungle» Forums » Variants

Subject: modified wolf rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
In attempting to speed up the movements, we play that the wolf can move like a Rook. I.e. it can slide in orthogonal direction as far as it wants to, but of course must stop for lakes, traps, and other pieces. It doesnt jump them.

Note this is very similar to the Scout in Stratego. However the scout in that game can slide/strike in the same move.

This presents the additional rule that the wolf cannot capture in this manner. he still has to capture like other pieces, he must be orthogonal and adjacent to capture. I think keeping the capture rule the way it is is important to retain the flavor of the game. And makes it less like chess with its multiple recaptures. Hopefully this keeps the game manageable enuf for children to enjoy.

We also dont allow him to slide directly into a trap space. Otherwise it seems too easy and a game breaker. You still have to be very careful that a wolf does not slide next to a trap space while it is under attack by another animal. This does make playing defense still more tricky, but hopefully it does not break the game.

The "slide but no capture" rule of course makes the wolf a little more complicated, as he doesnt capture the same way he slides, but this does ensure the capture rule is the same for all animals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
As I mentioned elsewhere, I am experimenting with larger boards and a few more pieces. Including those where the den is on the second rank and there are four traps surrounding it.

I was worried that this may be too easy to attack because the side traps now have three spaces where they can be reached from and this can be problematic if the attackers have enuf guys to threaten two traps.
with a highly mobile fox I was worried this may be too easy to attack, but so far this seems to be standing up.

Only a few plays so far, so we'll see if this breaks the game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.