Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Wargamers, Grognards, dearest OCD types, and Arm Chair Generals, as the year draws to a close and you look back upon your 12 months of wargaming did you achieve your objectives?

1.Did you perhaps read all you desired on the topics your games covered?

2.Did you achieve your buying goals? Or exceed them?

3.Were those loved but un-played titles final sold?

4.Were the rules books read, annotated, summarized, discussed and marked up?

5.Did you punch the games you desired or settle for something shorter and simpler?

6.Did the counter clipping metrics meet your expectations?

7.Did you max out on your sessions of your favorite games?

8.Was that monster started and played?

9.Did you teach someone(s) new to play a war game or (re)introduce someone to the hobby?

10.Are you satisfied with your thumb count on BGG for the year?

11.Are you satisfied with 2012's goal achievements that you set for your self?

Share your thoughts on 2012.

My take:

For me 2012 was a tumultuous year personally with a lot of major personal, fiscal and family issues. So far tho, thank goodness the year appears to be ending on an upswing, with some clarity for the future.

1. Did you perhaps read all you desired on the topics your games covered?

I read several wonderful books, and found many others thanks to recommendations from BGGers! Thanks BGG community. Sadly tho I did not read all that I desired, and I dont think I can ever read all that I desire!!

2. Did you achieve your buying goals? Or exceed them?

Ouch....this possibly was a year of gluttony. I had a major purge in November to get my collection down to 150 titles.....but opportunistic buying saw that surge back to 170+ The good news is I hope to sell 18 titles in the new year ( by the way what is the best time of year to sell?)

3. Were those loved but un-played titles final sold?

No.....
4. Were the rules books read, annotated, summarized, discussed and marked up?

I read a tonne of rules this year, from Battle for Moscow (second edition) to Case Blue. The Napoleon Brigade System, more LNL stuff, SPI titles from Fulda Gap to Operation Typhoon and then Victory in the West system rules too, (Iron Tide, Cobra etc).

5.Did you punch the games you desired or settle for something shorter and simpler?

This year saw lots of play early in the year and thru the summer, but the last few months I have lacked the discipline to get turns done. So certain games were left unplayed and unpunched that I really wanted to experience or experience more. In particular World at War: Into the Breach, only received 2 plays, and whilst I played a lot of Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap, i did not have the chance to experience all of the new releases and scenarios hoped for.

Yikes the advent of clipping in my life is a surprise. I always thought that was crazy, and I was never very good at it. with the new Oregon clipper...wow, life has changed. I have clipped this year alone since Jun or July up to 3,000 counters. GBII, most of the LNL series I own, PanzerGruppe Guderian, WaW etc etc....even RAF got the clippers.....unplayed but clipped!

7. Did you max out on your sessions of your favorite games?

Sadly no! BUT the # of session played of games in total this year was a new high both in terms of Face to Face and Solo play.

8. Was that long desired monster started and played?

The desire to solo a true monster is something I have to do for some perverse. This year while not a "monster per se" Playing The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940 campaign was the largest that was able to be played. In fact a 2nd campaign should be done before years end.

9.Did you teach someone(s) new to play a war game or (re)introduce someone to the hobby?

This was a surprise for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed playing via vassal and face to face teaching new players or experienced players how to learn a given system. Most of that effort went into simpler games such as World at War: Into the Breach & . Although it was only 5-6 people I am glad that they now are still playing and enjoying games, despite my half arsed efforts to instruct or coach.

10. Are you satisfied with your thumb count on BGG for the year?
Tongue in check question.

This year I set out to play a huge raft of games and series. Blindly underestiamting the effort required.

GBOH
TCS
SCS
OCS
NBS
Victory in the West
LNL
WaW
+ attempt one offs and smaller (less titles)series or games, such as Jena 20, AVL/AVD, No Retreat.
I did indeed play all of the above, plus a few others.

This year the crown in my achievements was learning OCS well enough not to be angry at myself for messing up "important" elements of the game.

Learning that TCS is best played alone, and not to be fussed over LOS. LOL!!!

Enjoying a new way to engage with GBOH with linked campaigns has added new life to what was becoming a chore to play.

Becoming familiar enough to muddle my way thru teaching someone to play WaW or LNL was a highlight of my experiences.

So far this year if I have kept all the stats (kinda sorta) right, There are a 115 logged plays of games. 90% of those have posted AARS on them,archive link or at least taken some image and shots to remind me of the experience or to generate narrative on The BigBoard Blog.

One aspect of gaming I enjoy is creating new ways to interact with community, in any manner, via facebook, online play, making videos, engaging players to become the General via Play by Poll PbPstyle play or taking feedback via posts and comments. Thanks to all the geekbuddies who follow along here or on the blog or on Facebook.

The added depth, insights from players and feedback help to keep the motivation high to persevere with a prickly situation or a tough rule book. So thanks again.

I hope that 2012 was a positive experience for you, I trust 2013 will be a great year also. Keep Rolling, your Number Will Come Up Eventually!!

Best
Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Got a couple of grail games. Learnt OCS. Played some games that have sat on the shelf for a while. Got to know some new great new opponents. Stopped buying every game that Marco recommends. Game wise a good year.

Life has thrown a couple of curve balls but I'm not an exception there I expect. Boss still an asshole. Not likely to change unless he goes elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, glib responses aside, I checked some boxes, this year.

I finally learned OCS - well enough, at least, to know the kinds of things I want to do, in an offensive, to be effective. Now, I just gotta get GBII back on the agenda, at some point, when a dozen other games aren't being more seductive.

I got Fire in the East back out on the table, for the first time in about twenty years. I even got a lot of the counters clipped. Didn't get far in the game, though, before something else started calling my name.

I finally got Wacht am Rhein, after missing it the first time around, with SPI. Read the rules. Read the rules again. And again. Set it up. Read the rules again. Played the two intro scenarios. Set up the whole tamale. Read the rules again. Played part of the first turn, and had someone drop another game's components on the top of the game. Put it away, with some relief. Pretty map be damned, I think I wanted the original version more.

Reading I usually dedicate to science fiction, with a sprinkling of history books in between. Still have a backlog of books, for the foreseeable future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Eurogaming Invades Eden War Room!

An unexpected goal of the year.

It all started with Battlestar Galactica....

---------------------------------------

More OCS! - Case Blue got some play and TBL - obtained a copy of Tunisia. OCS Sicily on long term loan to EWR.

---------------------------------------

CityFight reacquired - been looking all year, found it near mint for 10 dollars - feel both lucky and bad.

--------------------------------------

Gaming time reduced - so sad; turnover at work and major initiatives in IT in Higher Education post "The State of NC is broke".

Finally got sick and tired of playing The Napoleonic Wars - we became so practiced at that the game it has lost almost all of its charm - it almost scripted with our group - great run though; over 100 sessions of it.

What's going on next year?

A big move into WW 2 Naval Miniatures gaming, that's what.

Need more table....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Emmett
United States
Gainesville
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I read a few Beevor titles – see #7.

I exceed them, which is bad. My intent was to not increase my collection but to reach an equilibrium where purge numbers equaled acquisition numbers. Acquisition > Purge = Boo

Some – see #2.

I read many, but retained few.

No, however I did consider punching myself after many brilliant moves on the battlefield.

They weren’t bad. I’m hoping these numbers increase when my toddlers age enough to learn the value of the dollar.

If my favorite game is “Sleeping on the Commuter Train” then yes.

My Mother-in-law has nothing to do with this forum.

Sadly, no.

Yes. I am by no means a prolific poster so one well placed thumb is good enough for me, if you know what I mean.

Cynicism aside, 2012 was a wonderful year on all fronts. It’s always a plus to have some good gaming peppered in there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sallot
United States
Fort Leavenworth
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am married with children. Heck no!

Unless I can find someone to make game playing a full time job, then I doubt I will ever meet my gaming objectives. I suppose I can set them really really low.

Cheers,

H6
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
DarrellKH wrote:
Okay, glib responses aside, I checked some boxes, this year.

I finally got Wacht am Rhein, after missing it the first time around, with SPI. Read the rules. Read the rules again. And again. Set it up. Read the rules again. Played the two intro scenarios. Set up the whole tamale. Read the rules again. Played part of the first turn, and had someone drop another game's components on the top of the game. Put it away, with some relief. Pretty map be damned, I think I wanted the original version more.

That breaks my heart! After all that effort! Was the "someone " a family member who now does not live with you any more due to the incident!?

What is drawing you to be played in 2013?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
A mixed year for me:

I'm one scenario short of matching my 2011 ASL plays, with three weeks and Christmas time off to go. If I can do two more, it'll be good.

On the down side, I came out with losing records at ASLOK, VASL League and general play.

On the up side. I went out of my way to play against better players this year. I'm hoping the w/l record isn't directly comparable to last years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
#3 is pure heresy. You just know you'll play them someday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even close. I wanted to read Battle Cry of Freedom, a book on the French and Indian War, and two presidential biographies. Instead, I read Wheat Belly (good book, BTW), a little bit of McCollough's biography on John Adams, and a little bit of a narrative history on the French & Indian War. That's cool, though. I read tons of instructions.

Nailed it! I bought 14 new games this year. I traded for bunches of them, but I didn't buy much. I set out to spend money from outside sources of income other than my salary and did it through November. If I can come up with $15 more dollars of outside income before December 31, I will have paid for my last game. No, I'm not selling plasma.

Nope and never will be. If I love it, I'll keep it. I traded a few that I liked that would never be played again because I have better games on the same topic, though.

Yes. I even created some player aids.

I played a ton of them, though never all I want to (that would be impossible).

Yep. I don't clip, so I met my metrics. ninja

My favorite is Washington's War. I helped a guy get ready for WBC. That's fine. I didn't need to play it. I played #2 (Empire of the Sun), 4 (Shifting Sands), and 5 (Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles) sufficiently, though

The closest I own to a monster is Empire of the Sun and Vietnam 1965-1975. Yes on #1. No on #2.

I introduced my 8-year old daughter to Tank Battle and she loved it far more than Ticket to Ride, Forbidden Island, Carcassonne, and High Society. Bwahahahahahaha!!! Tank Battle isn't much of a wargame, but compared to the others, I would call it a smashing success. Especially since she says, "I love wargames!" and understands that the difference between it and the ones that daddy has set up on the table is just the complexity level.

My Bob Ross picture got the most thumbs on one of Peter's weekly caption posts. I will rest on that.

Knowing the allure of the cult of the new, I set out to play 10 specific games at the start of the year and did so...along with a whole bunch of others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great year. I only bought a couple of titles before summer but in August things really picked up. I got the last 2 grail games for my OCS collection (Sicily: Triumph and Folly and Hube's Pocket)and a couple of weeks later added the newly released The Blitzkrieg Legend: The Battle for France, 1940. I got to play Proud Monster Deluxe ftf at Carnage Con with 3 buddies. thumbsup
I've been slowly building up my CWBS collection and have my long awaited Vietnam 1965-1975 campaign underway (vassal).
Sometime this month I should receive the final entry in the Der Weltkrieg Series. Fantastic!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb

Impossible!

Yeah. I've pretty much filled my collection out with everything I
really wanted from the past, and can SLOW DOWN now.

Blasphemy! I even keep disliked games.

Nope. Skimmed things I would play.

Punching and clipping is an integral part of my existence.
I don't WANT to do it, it just happens.

One does not measure pleasure.

This doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah. This is the biggie. I got EU played and vidded.

According to some viewers, yes.

I don't think this provides me with any 'satisfaction'. I like
seeing and comparing how many thumbs certain vids or selected comments
get, but overall, it's just a means of measuring whether effort is
worthwhile.

I got EU done. That's sufficient.

I also put aside any silliness about trying to be more relevant -
I wanna play what I wanna play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
At work I am in the middle of end of year performance assessments. I am chagrined to have to be reminded of my 2012 wargaming failures as well as my work-related deficiencies.

shakeshakeshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, hit rules burnout after reading many different rulebooks over the last couple of years. Couldn't manage reading the WiF:FE rules, so had to back out on playing that monster. Ran into a lot of confusing rules questions while playing Pax Britannica via BGG forum last summer. Am recovering enough to be able to handle the rules in ongoing campaigns of The Devil's Cauldron and Empires in Arms.

Did sell some games. Just sold a few miniatures too. Need to sell more of both.

Got to read "The Devil's Causeway" (Philippines 1889-1900), "It Never Snows in September" (Operation Market Garden from the German perspective), "The Lost City of Z" (Amazon between the world wars), and lots of WW1 naval history on the internet. Not bad. Couldn't find Pulp set in early 20th Century though. That's a genre I'd like to get into.

Didn't play Empires in Arms or The Devil's Cauldron as frequently as I would have liked, but at least those two campaigns are continuing to limp along, and hopefully those will pick up some during the winter. Did manage to play three games of Pax Britannica in addition to that. And did introduce three guys to Paths of Glory, though we didn't get far into the games.

Haven't played enough miniatures lately. But had made a decision to back off from miniatures for a while. Next year I'd like to play some naval miniatures, and someday get into Pulp miniatures games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for a thread, Kev. As a relative newb (who has fallen fairly hard) I have printed the questions out and pinned them above my game table. They`ll inspire me to give answers when you re-post next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
I had fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dougherty
United States
Maplewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not even close.

Exceeded them in kind of a bad way. I have way too much that I know I will never get to after impulse buying bigger titles that looked interesting.

No, but that's something I am going to start doing very soon.

I don't mark them up, but I did read a few. Not as many as I would have liked.

Definitely punched some just to be punching a game I want to get to the table.

Yeah, because of the Oregon 2mm and 3mm clippers. The C4 Corner Cutter didn't quite do it for me personally.

Definitely not, not even close.

Yes, (Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg), but I stalled hard just as things were about to get interesting.

Not new to the hobby, but I got together with one of my war gaming friends that I grew up with for a gaming weekend, something that hopefully will be more common in the future.

This doesn't mean too much to me... well it doesn't really mean anything to me.

I didn't really set many but no, not enough gaming, too many purchases. On the other hand, I managed to clean up the basement over the summer which gave way to having permanent gaming space. That opened up the possibility of soloing more involved games, which seem to be attracting my attention more as I get older.

So I feel like 2012 cleared the way for better gaming in the future. Got my space, focused a bit and realized I might be making some hard choices trimming down my collection (the start of which I thought I might chronicle in my first ever geeklist, Wargaming's Kobayashi Maru), and realized that some intimidating games are pretty playable when you take your time and make your way through. Had I not attempted Totaler Krieg, I might not have given Barbarossa Kiev to Rostov a shot. That made me realize that maybe I should figure out OCS, GCACW, and some other bigger titles.

One thing for 2013, I'd like to get some more CDGs to the table with my face to face games. Not that I have a ton, but they seem really interesting and I don't know that I could solo them and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 120 games/ times in 2012, 45 distinctive games, according to my own records. They are documented in many AARs in the followings:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/73403/item/2091795#ite...
http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/142111/item/2141760#item21...

I ventured into Dai Senso Vassal Skype and the Battletech universe this year, quite a satisfied year laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
I only have 18 registered game plays this year and only 6-7 of them are wargames. I have a Red Barricades campaign game set up and we are on day 3 but that has been put on hold for months due to time constraints. All in all 2012 was a terrible year for gaming, I hope 2013 is a better year, it should be but I say that every year.cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Wargamers, Grognards, dearest OCD types, and Arm Chair Generals, as the year draws to a close and you look back upon your 12 months of wargaming did you achieve your objectives?

I'm always reading.. there's never enough time. But I did get through all of 1971's S&T's.

Quote:

Totally exceeded. Thanks to a very nice fellow, I have the majority of the S&T games I need for my quest.

Quote:

I sell nothing.

Quote:

Oh yeah. I even went through and transcribed the rules of Grunt so they actually made sense.

Quote:

I think I've gotten to play what I wanted with no compromises.

Quote:

Clipping counters takes time from playing.

Quote:

If they're my favorite, they don't get maxed out. I really want to play Britannia more.

Quote:

When I retire, I will play the campaign games for Empires of the Middle Ages and Empires in Arms. That's 30 years off.

Quote:

Oh yeah. Lots

Most of these girls are newbies.

Quote:

I'd always like more. And more for my daughter's wargame covers, too! *hint hint*

Quote:

Yes. This was my wargamingest year in a while, and the third most played in the last 9.

Quote:

For me 2012 was a tumultuous year personally with a lot of major personal, fiscal and family issues. So far tho, thank goodness the year appears to be ending on an upswing, with some clarity for the future.

Sorry to hear that, Kev. Glad things are looking up. It was pretty good for me, all things considered. And I'm looking forward to another great wargaming year!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Low
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. If my research area was something close to what marnaudo is doing, I might have stood a chance at this. Time has only allowed me to read the length of Wikipedia entries. They helped on a superficial level but it is better than nothing.

This I had no problem exceeding. I'm not too happy about it though!

I have never sold off any game, perhaps I should consider doing this. Or at least trade them.

Read book, read forum, summarized. I like to keep my rulebooks clean so no annotations or markups. I did get an ipad mini and started reading pdf rulebooks but annotating felt tedious. We will see.

Time seems to escape me so much so that No Retreat seems monstrous. So I'm not really sure what's short and simple anymore.

This obsession - I started 2 weeks ago. The oregon cliper looks attractive but I have yet to succumb. At the moment, blade and mat of $5 isn't too bad an investment for neatness.

If max=2, yes.

I started by opening the box and played with the counters.

Whenever I tell people I play wargames, I get stares. So no. But I will try again. My friends seem to think that wargames are along the lines of what you see in videogames (FPS etc). I'm willing to listen to you guys who can explain how intellectual playing wargames really is.

Never bothered about them, really.

My goal was to play all unplayed games bought in past years. I failed, but I did open some of them, read the rules, enjoyed the AARs here, got in some example gameplays. It wasn't too bad. I bought more games this year, so this will be a repeat goal for next year.

I am happy though, that I participated in my first wargame secret santa. The act of giving brought much satisfaction.

*edited for spelling & readability. I typed the first draft on my phone in the middle of lab experiments whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
My acquisitions far exceeded my ability to play this year. I'd like to play more next year. Maybe I'll even get to some of the things I bought this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.