Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
"Too late, you took your finger off the piece..."
mbmbmbmbmb
A random idea came to mind this past weekend as we were playing a couple of different boardgames...

Does anyone have or have you ever seen a game playing surface that's built onto a "lazy susan"/"turntable"? The idea being that you can rotate the gameboard so that you can view it from any angle you want.

Granted this wouldn't work for every time of game but there are a few where having a different vantage is sometimes beneficial or helpful.

The idea came from a Scrabble and a Rumis game that come with a turntable. My thought was something larger that could accomodate a full gameboard. Obviously a couple of considerations would need to be taken into account - stability, size, etc.

Would appreciate any feedback from anyone that has one or seen something like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple google image search brings up dozens of versions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lazy+susan+game+table&hl=en&...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haze Kalasa wrote:
The idea came from a Scrabble and a Rumis game that come with a turntable.

Both of which I can't stand with the turntable. It completely wrecks your mental model of the game. Unless you play with folks who don't like to look at the board and think when it's not their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Addison Fox
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I play scrabble with people who can read letters that are upside down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Haze Kalasa wrote:
The idea came from a Scrabble and a Rumis game that come with a turntable.

Both of which I can't stand with the turntable. It completely wrecks your mental model of the game. Unless you play with folks who don't like to look at the board and think when it's not their turn.

I play on the board that rotates (Scrabble as it's my nice board) but I agree, it always messes with me when it rotates...takes me a few to readjust my thinking.

I'm sure there is a microbadge, but just haven't looked, but I play games upside down. ESPECIALLY anything with a world map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
A simple google image search brings up dozens of versions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lazy+susan+game+table&hl=en&...

Thanks - That was my first stop to get some ideas. This post was more to get some feedback from people that have used them.

Personally I don't mind looking at a game from any angle. It's usually might teenagers that want to look at the board from a certain perspective. Just considering options and soliciting feedback...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I just saw a picture of someone who created his own Dominion turntable here on BGG. Let me try and find the link...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Meeker
United States
Camano Island
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
Hmmm, I just saw a picture of someone who created his own Dominion turntable here on BGG. Let me try and find the link...

Here you go.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/894091/just-finished-my-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a large lazy susan would be pretty fun for a game like 7 Wonders, Notre Dame or Fairy Tale with drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
I think a large lazy susan would be pretty fun for a game like 7 Wonders, Notre Dame or Fairy Tale with drafting.

Now THAT I whole-heartedly agree with. 7 Wonders would be awesome, especially because there is no board in the middle. Hence I'm not as excited about Notre Dame. The lazy susan in 7W would also help prevent the game from getting out of sync when people get ahead/behind. Everyone simply places the cards in front of themselves, and when all cards are there, rotate. Love it. Although probably still more of a gimmick than a real improvement. I mean it's not hard to pass your cards to the player sitting next to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
ralpher wrote:

Now THAT I whole-heartedly agree with. 7 Wonders would be awesome, especially because there is no board in the middle. Hence I'm not as excited about Notre Dame. The lazy susan in 7W would also help prevent the game from getting out of sync when people get ahead/behind. Everyone simply places the cards in front of themselves, and when all cards are there, rotate. Love it. Although probably still more of a gimmick than a real improvement. I mean it's not hard to pass your cards to the player sitting next to you.

Nah, it's not that hard but there's frequently some mix up with someone passing the wrong way or wanting to look at cards early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years ago I had the idea to try this when I rescued a very nice large wooden turntable at a yardsale, and it turned out to be impractical in reality. Without the pieces being secured somehow, such as magnetically or by the board surface itself as the Scrabble turntable does, we had to spin the board so gently and slowly that it quickly became annoying.

I had that turntable for a long time, and never ran across a game that I wanted to make spinnable bad enough to do all the work to develop and implement a way to secure the pieces to the board against the rotation of the turntable.

It's interesting too that even though I am a very keen Scrabble player and have several turntable boards, I want those boards because of the ridges that so conveniently hold the letter tiles in place, and I almost never spin the board. In fact, far more often that not, my opponents and I have simply left the board at right angles between us, only spinning it on occasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Both of which I can't stand with the turntable. It completely wrecks your mental model of the game.

Try it with Tzolk'in or RoboRally for a real challenge.

It could work for games where there are lots of different bits to collect, like Le Havre. Load the turntable with components and leave the board to one side...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:
Some years ago I had the idea to try this when I rescued a very nice large wooden turntable at a yardsale, and it turned out to be impractical in reality. Without the pieces being secured somehow, such as magnetically or by the board surface itself as the Scrabble turntable does, we had to spin the board so gently and slowly that it quickly became annoying.

Hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haze Kalasa wrote:
Hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to help, even if it's only by pointing out my own failures.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was a kid, we played King of the Tabletop with the units on a "lazy susan", to make things easier to reach. Possibly Planet Busters, too. It works well for games with lots of little piles of pieces, although I suspect these days people just organize them into Plano boxes for easy setup and storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Amick
United States
Grand Island
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
...although I suspect these days people just organize them into Plano boxes for easy setup and storage.

The fishing department at the local Wal-mart is my friend. I joked with the associate that they should move all the tackle boxes into the game aisle and double the prices. Maybe that wasn't a good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.