Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks!!

I admit am a Vietnam War fan, and have several games to prove it like Vietnam 1965-1975 from VG, Platoon from AH, Operation Pegasus, Hearts & Minds (which I traded last year, never liked it) and Silver Bayonet.

Although I bought it some 5 years ago never played Silver Bayonet, but started reading the rules, punched the counters and very likely will give a try this weekend.

Now I know First Team: Vietnam and SB cover basically the same campaign, that is the fighting in the Ia (river in Vietnamese) Drang valley in the Vietnam Highlands during October/November 1965.

Here is the question: should I go ahead and purchase FT:V (I have found it at a good price online) or stick with SB? I read several reviews about FT:V and it seems there is a steep learning curve in regards to its rules, while SB got better ratings here at BGG.

A last point: I also know that FT:V is solitaire while SB although sort of 'solitaire friendly' is designed in reality for two players; but since my games are solo this is not an issue.

I am adding this same posting in Silver Bayonet, so as to get as much opinions and comments from my fellow friend gamers as possible.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have championed this game a few times... I will quote below my comments instead of writing anything new... cool The rules have some holes but overall are not that hard to digest.

"I have found it to be an enjoyable and challenging solo game. And it stands alone - accept for Phantom Leader (and a few others since this writing) - in that it is a solo Vietnam War game (a rare thing). The fog of war treatment works well though it is a bit tricky to keep all the rules straight. The NVA units creep over the Cambodian border and remain hidden in the jungle while moving on the Duc Co and Plei Me Special Forces Camps, roads, and eventually An Khe. The US has to spend command points to find suitable LZ's, purchase, stockpile and transport supplies, airlift us combat units to LZ's or hump units through the thick jungle, call in artillery, rocket ships, air strikes, gun ships, and B 52 strikes, use pathfinder units, identify NVA units and engage them in open combat in the jungle. Ambushes are an important aspect of the game and the NVA will attempt to whack you every chance they get though the US does have the ability to ambush the NVA as well. It is satisfying to find them - fix them - and pound them... either destroying them outright or forcing them to withdraw and try to make their way back for Cambodia to lick their wounds. "

AND

"I spent the first turn bringing in tons of supplies in preparation for the coming campaign. I also spent quit a bit of command with recon, identifying viable LZ's throughout the theater of operations. My early intel roll for turn 1 netted the 32nd NVA regiment hiding out in the center of the map but with no high priority targets near them. So I knew they were not going to attack anything directly in turn 1 but possible in turn 2."

"In turn 2 I had no need of supplies. My intel roll again was successful revealing the 66th Regiment crossing the Cambodian border and moving on Doc Co Special Forces camp. I had basically allocated all my command to just such an event being possible - from either the 32nd or another group discovered thru intel. I immediately moved an entire battalion to the camp and prepared to defend it. A portion of the 32nd NVA Regiment made a night attack and I brought in heavy arty,gunships, and air strikes. We won the fight but the Special Forces Garrison itself was destroyed. We took some minor casualties and some fatigue. 2/3 of the attacking NVA were broken... all of them escaped back into the jungle and went to ground."

ALSO - the rules and a module are available thru VASSAL... is you want to get a taste before you purchase the physical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
I have championed this game a few times... I will quote below my comments instead of writing anything new... cool The rules have some holes but overall are not that hard to digest.

"I have found it to be an enjoyable and challenging solo game. And it stands alone - accept for Phantom Leader (and a few others since this writing) - in that it is a solo Vietnam War game (a rare thing). The fog of war treatment works well though it is a bit tricky to keep all the rules straight. The NVA units creep over the Cambodian border and remain hidden in the jungle while moving on the Duc Co and Plei Me Special Forces Camps, roads, and eventually An Khe. The US has to spend command points to find suitable LZ's, purchase, stockpile and transport supplies, airlift us combat units to LZ's or hump units through the thick jungle, call in artillery, rocket ships, air strikes, gun ships, and B 52 strikes, use pathfinder units, identify NVA units and engage them in open combat in the jungle. Ambushes are an important aspect of the game and the NVA will attempt to whack you every chance they get though the US does have the ability to ambush the NVA as well. It is satisfying to find them - fix them - and pound them... either destroying them outright or forcing them to withdraw and try to make their way back for Cambodia to lick their wounds. "

AND

"I spent the first turn bringing in tons of supplies in preparation for the coming campaign. I also spent quit a bit of command with recon, identifying viable LZ's throughout the theater of operations. My early intel roll for turn 1 netted the 32nd NVA regiment hiding out in the center of the map but with no high priority targets near them. So I knew they were not going to attack anything directly in turn 1 but possible in turn 2."

"In turn 2 I had no need of supplies. My intel roll again was successful revealing the 66th Regiment crossing the Cambodian border and moving on Doc Co Special Forces camp. I had basically allocated all my command to just such an event being possible - from either the 32nd or another group discovered thru intel. I immediately moved an entire battalion to the camp and prepared to defend it. A portion of the 32nd NVA Regiment made a night attack and I brought in heavy arty,gunships, and air strikes. We won the fight but the Special Forces Garrison itself was destroyed. We took some minor casualties and some fatigue. 2/3 of the attacking NVA were broken... all of them escaped back into the jungle and went to ground."

ALSO - the rules and a module are available thru VASSAL... is you want to get a taste before you purchase the physical game.

Thank you very much for the information, Blake!

I'll follow your advice and check VASSAL.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Vassal module have "Hold" marker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Does the Vassal module have "Hold" marker?

It has been a long time since I have used this VASSAL mod but I think he included HOLD markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.