Caleb Smay
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes...I did make that joke. And yes, I am ashamed of myself. shake

First thing you need to know is that my knowledge of the 'Marvel' comic book universe is limited to the movies and one or two of my brother's comics that I read. So this review will not focus on how close the characters are to their comic book counterparts. This will be purely about the game.

Gameplay
Gameplay is pretty straightforward. Players will use their cards in hand to fight villains or buy hero cards. There are always five hero cards available for purchase. The number of villains out to fight depends on what is drawn from the villain deck.

As in most deck building games, any cards you draw for your hand even if you do not use them along with any cards you buy that turn are placed in your discard pile.

The hero cards will be of several different suits that depict certain aspects of a heroes powers - for example strength, cunning, and tech. These are seperated by colors as well as as different symbols.

A very interesting aspect of this game is that some powers on the cards are preceeded by one of these symbols. When that is the case, you cannot use that power unless you played another card matching that symbol BEFORE that card. A similar mechanic was used in the deck building game Nightfall. However, in Legendary you can still play the cards for their basic uses you just won't get the bonus.

Some villains will have an effect when you fight them. In order to fight a villain, you have to have enough attack power(depicted by three claw marks) to destroy that villain. You cannot fight a villain without being able to defeat them.

Components
First, the box! Good size box. Just a tad bit bigger than the Ticket to Ride box. Inside is mostly empty space, but it was obviously designed with future expansions in mind. The insert is seperated into four large and four small sections. This is nice for easy categorizing of the villains and heroes.

Several dividers are included in the game. A plus!
They are generic dividers with no name or artwork. A minus! I suppose you could use a marker to write what the cards are but...yeah...kind of lame that they didn't already do that for you.

The cards themselves are very hardy! Definitely built to last and should withstand many games and many shufflings. The board is also very well made, but its...odd to fold up. I can't really explain it except to say that its not the normal way a board folds. Also, there is no place for it to rest in the box. It doesn't touch the sides of the box nor is there any place built for it to sit on the insert.

Whoever wrote the rulebox, my hat is off to you, sir! GREAT rulebook! We never really found a situation in which the rulebook didn't have the answer and we had to check the FAQ. That fealt good! Keep up the good work, Rulebook Writer Man!

Artwork on the cards is great! 'Upper Deck' did a 'Marvel'-ous(See what I did there?) job with the artwork. The layout of the cards themselves is equally impressive. The font is easy to read and you will never find yourself wondering how a card works.

The bad news...all the cards are the same. In every single card of a hero's deck, they are making the exact same pose. Sure, it looks great! But why is Spiderman doing the same pose when using his web-shooters as when he is using his super strength to do something? Again, the artwork is great just...BLAH!...kind of got tired of seeing the same thing over and over.

Other Thoughts
The big problem I have with Legendary is who the crap am I as the player supposed to be? It honestly makes no sense to me why I am controling the same heroes as the other players. One could say we are Nick Fury commanding the heroes from afar how to deal with the situation. But then Nick Fury is one of the heroes in the game. And how could we all be Nick Fury? So...yeah...I don't get it, but I can put that aside for the sake of the rest of the game being so great!

Another very minor problem was the way the cards were seperated upon opening the game. None of the heroes or villain cards were stacked together and instead were seperated among the several stacks of the cards. This is a one time only problem though and was barely even worth mentioning.

I very much enjoy the aspect that this game is slightly co-op and slightly not. The players have to plan and work together to win but, at the end of the game, there is only one winner. You can also actively mess up other players with some card powers and I found this quite interesting.

My Rating and Recommendation
If you like the 'Marvel' universe, this is an obvious choice! This game feels very complete and well developed. This is not at all a game trying to ride the coattails of the popularity of the 'Marvel' movies. This is not a game that got rushed into developement to take advantage of the hype and just stamps the movie's name on the box and you forget about it by next year like most licensed games. This is a great game!

/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a big deal, but the title is almost identical to another Legendary review.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/885803/review-this-game-is-l...

Enjoyed your review still!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to my copy. I've already reconciled the "who am I?" question. You're a mid-level SHIELD agent looking for a promotion and you're one of the "lucky" ones assigned to be the handler for a bunch of super-inflated egos...err...super heroes.

Think of yourself as an Agent Coulson wannabee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
And you're all the handlers for the same heroes?

And you get scored on... What they do on your watch?

The ruleset does not have theme. Luckily, the cards all do, and that's the interesting part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Smay
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Not a big deal, but the title is almost identical to another Legendary review.

My bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.