Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Haythornthwaite
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually record the games we have every week at our gaming group, but last nights game was such an interesting one that I felt I needed to get a record of this game down in writing.

This was our first time playing a 5 player game of Chaos in the Old World, along with the Horned Rat expansion of course. Our gaming group is made up of four of us with a recent fifth player coming onboard, however he had never played this game before. To save having to type out the Old Gods games over and over I am going to use the players names as easier and quicker versions, therefore we have (in no particular order)

Rik (game owner) - Slaanesh, God of Seduction
James - Nurgle, God of Pestilence
Andy - Tzeentch, God of Magics
Chris (me) - Khorne, God of War
Ed (newest member) - The Horned Rats

Much of the game played out like any other with the usual scramble for corruption, warpstones, Heros and Skaven tokens, with a few notable exceptions.

For a start the old world cards that kept being drawn were very much focussed on pacifying the area and adding lots of peasants to the board. Unfortunately for Rik, I managed to block him from getting a tick in the second turn which marked the start of a game for Rik that saw him get just a couple of ticks in the whole game, something that could have crippled a less experience player, however Rik being the player he is he managed this very well. Another interesting event that occurred that we have never had happen before was that in the second round, we already faced our first ruined area, one of the smaller ones towards the bottom of the board that both James and Andy managed to absolutely destroy very quickly. This had the effect of making an already crowded board (with 5 people) even more crowded. This turned out to be very good news for me, playing Khorne. We have always felt that Khorne is arguably the most powerful God of them all especially under these circumstances, and I managed to get double tick points on almost every round of play apart from 2, on round 3 and the final round. Ed on the other hand was quietly and subtlety building a base of power over the other bottom corner of the board, watching what was happening and playing spells that allowed him to move forces in large groups when he dominated an area.

All this carried on to a point mid way through the game when it was apprarent that the middle of the board was a safe zone with Heros and old world cards that made it very costly to occupy them and then an event that made it impossible to fight in the two biggest central areas, this turned out the be bad news for me.

We got to the final round, I had managed to get myself into a position through double ticking to only needing one tick to win, surely a sure fire thing for Khorne to do, what with all the upgrades I had. I just needed to Kill one thing and the rest of the group knew that. They did an excellent job of moving all their pieces into the safe zone, and through a combination of luck, good play and co-operation I was left with just one battle, my big dude versus Riks big dude. I had four attack dice and he had four defence. It was a tall order and I hadn't been rolling all that well, however I felt lucky. It came to the battle phase and all I had to do was kill this piece for victory. I rolled the dice, I needed all four dice to be on four or more. I rolled a four, a three, a two and a six. I deflated thinking that was it, I had failed. The six had exploded so I rolled one more dice with no hope in it, it was almost tossed away (a James throw as we call it), and I rolled another six, I had three of the four hits I needed and with another roll, I was back in it and every knew it. I rubbed the dice, blew on it, said a prayer and pushed all my luck into the die. It spinned on its corner for a second and came to rest, on a one, snake eyes. A roar erupted from the other players, I placed my head in my hands and groaned. I knew I had not just lost this battle but the game. I knew that due to all the other players fleeing to the safe zone to escape my bloodthirsty warriors they had tipped the balance for corruption and that round the last two areas needed to end the game would fall to ruin, the only question would be who would win out with points. I was done, in my quest for glory I had abandoned the points and concentrated on the tick victory, now I wallowed in last place as I watched the other Gods race ahead of me jumping one point ahead of another over and over as domination, corruption, cards and ruination were calculated.

The winner was Nurgle as played by James, but only by a point as Tzeentch as played by Andy was very close behind. Possible the most outstanding play of the game was Rik who only obtained a couple of ticks the whole game but managed to come third only trailing by a few points. The game took three hours to play, finished at midnight and although was filled with analysis paralysis each player really adapted to the goal oriented God he was playing. It was an awesome game with an epic finale and I would highly recommend this to anyone with who likes theme, strategy and resource management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a hell of a ride!

Thanks for the kudos to my Slaasnesh game, chap. After you killed my second turn tick I had to go VP, but I didn't expect things to get so out of hand so quickly.

I think I learnt a lot in that game about all the powers, and I had a blast doing it to.

Still think it was amazing that you were one tick from victory, and the rest of us were all within 4vps of each other. Crazy awesome game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
b p
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a favorite of my group and is played almost weekly. We play without the expansion and I have heard mixed opinions on it. What do you think about the expansion and the things and extra player that it adds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. This game is always a thrill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Haythornthwaite
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played as the Horned Rat yet but due to the lack of corruption from that player and the ability to swarm the board it does add a lot to the game. I would recommend it due to change in style. If your group is all very good at playing the base gods and blocking each other, the Horned Rat will get everyone thinking in different ways and will add a new dimension to the game. It's a good expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell gowlett
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I enjoy the expansion - having a different set of cards to use is great,as is a 5th god.
That said, I find playing as the horned rat very tricky - unlike the other gods, you can't build up ruination in 2-3 areas and score for both, so if 2 regions are going to fall in one turn, you really only have a chance in one, and even then its tricky, as people can just kill you off.
If you have the skaven tokens close together in the cheap regions, and you are able to place one or 2 more with your cards at the start of the game, then winning by dial is a possibility for the rat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Argo
United States
Durant
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It always does my heart good to hear Nurgle achieving victory in anything. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.