Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years ago I asked about this, but was going to see what the current brain trust is.

Looking for a game with feeling of adventure/exploration (even a dungeon-crawl-type thing) but without the fantasy/horror/sci-fi themes that usually go along with those.

On my radar are Robinson Crusoe, Archipelago and Lost Valley (when it is reprinted), but just seeing what else is out there. Something similar to the Castle Ravenloft series (but non-fantasy/D&D theme) would be interesting too.

So basically: geeky mechanics, but non-geeky themes Thanks for any suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also
The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac
The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus
Goldland - I know I saw a copy up for auction the other day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sanitarium is sitting on my shelf, waiting to be played. I think the theme is entirely psychological, not fantasy/sci-fi.

Escape: The Curse of the Temple, if you're ok with a chaotic real-time experience.

Fairy Tale in my Pocket is "fantasy", but not "that kind" of fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cave

Edit: also Lost Valley: The Yukon Goldrush 1896 coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these. The Cave looks really interesting, hadn't heard of that one; will research. How is availability for it though? Noticed it isn't at CSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about availability of The Cave. Seems like it might not have an English version yet. I don't own a copy myself, but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw your topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
In stock at GameSurplus - https://www.gamesurplus.com/product_info.php?products_id=236...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cave is a great little explorer; a tile-layer with strategy in how you manage your resources and action points. I'm really enjoying it, although some people don't see past the randomness of tile-flipping. It's from the designer of K2, which is less blind exploration, but might also be worth you taking a peek.

I'm intrigued to see someone mention Sanitarium, as it's been in and out of my shopping basket three times today; opinions here seem less than convinced.

The one game I'm constantly recommending at the moment is, of course, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about something like Source of the Nile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is just out in a new edition.

Safe Return Doubtful is hard to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading up/watching videos on The Cave and that one just might fit the bill. Thanks for the gamesurplus link. I've been interested in trying K2 for a while and have not gotten to play that one, so interested in that designer's take on an exploration game.

- Lost Valley has been on my wish list for a couple of years, don't know if it will be out for Christmas or not?
- Same with Goldland, but still OOP and mixed reviews kept me from tracking it down.
- I own and enjoy Tikal II - not so much for the exploration aspect, it's more of a turn/resource optimization exercise, but still fun.
- Robinson Crusoe is definitely on my wishlist, but will probably wait for the Z-man edition when it hits the U.S. next year.

Is there anyone who has tried Archipelago that can testify to the exploration aspect of that title? I like the look of it and that there is a solitaire expansion/variant coming, but I'm on the fence.

Thanks for the suggestions and if any more keep 'em coming. At this point I'm leaning toward The Cave for Christmas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.