Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have uploaded a PDF in the files section of Noblemen.

They are the rules my son and I use.

Since the file has not arrived yet I have copied them below but the PDF looks nicer. Good Luck!

---------------------------------
Two player rules
These are only the differences from the regular rules.

Setup:
Step #2 Only use 3 Follies. Remove the one- of each Folly. This will leave the need two Gardens, need two Farms, and need two Forest Follies.

Also use 2 castles, 2 chapels, and 2 palaces per decade (not 1 as you might think)

All structures always go on the most expensive spaces.

Step #7 use the 3 player Noble title rules. Each player starts with a Baron. Set off to the side 1 Viscount, 1 Earl, 1 Marquess, and 1 Duke. All other titles can go back in the box and not be used.

Step #8 - Give both players 12£ for their starting money instead of 10£. The second player does not get 1£ more.

Do setup #15 before setup step #11. Choose your scandal card before choosing your lands.

Step #11 Each player gets 15 lands. Each player chooses up to 3 of each type and then draws from the bag until they have 15 lands.

Preparing a new decade:
Use 2 Castles, 2 Chapels, and 2 Palaces (not 1 as you might think).

All structures always go on the most expensive spaces.

Follies:
Use only 3 Follies. See set-up above.

The first built is worth 10 VP, the second built is worth 8 VP, and the last is worth 6 VP.

Masquerade Ball -
Ignore step #6 on the Masquerade Ball rules. Only move the round counter when the player with the queen ends their turn. This will give 2 extra turns per decade to allow you to pursue more goals per game.

In a two player game, a “dummy” player is used to take a noble title. The “dummy” player uses a prestige counter of a color not being used.

During step #2, Count Prestige, the “dummy” player always goes first. They have a base prestige that increases with each decade. Use 4 in the first decade, 8 in the second, and 12 in the third. Then pull a total of 5 tiles from the bag. The dummy player receives one more prestige this Ball for each fountain pulled from the bag. Move his prestige counter accordingly. All pulled lands go back into the bag.

The player with the queen would go next and count their prestige as normal. If they tie the “dummy” player they of course have to place their counter behind them or come up with a way to leap over them.

The player without the queen goes last.

Next proceed to give each player the highest remaining noble title in descending prestige order. Holding back whichever title the “dummy” player earned, it cannot be used this turn.

For example:
It’s the first decade. The “dummy” has a base of 4 prestige. Only 1 fountain was pulled from the bag. So the dummy player has a total of 5 prestige and his counter is placed on the 5 place of the prestige track.
The player with the queen has a total of 3 prestige and the last player has a total of 2 prestige. The dummy doesn’t have enough for the Earl and therefore gets the Viscount. Both players receive the Baron.

At the end of the Ball the round counter does not move. The player that does not have the Queen takes his turn. The next time a player ends his turn with the Queen the round marker moves to the next space like normal.

Thanks to Seth, Scott, and James for helping with these rules.

Helpful hints for any number of players
• DO NOT let yourself run out of lands. Complete a forest at some point before you run out of lands. Remember you can trade lands with the bag 2:1 and get the lands you want.
• Chapels are very valuable. You should give yourself a place to play one very early.
• Prestige is somewhat important.
• During setup step #11 you can make the choice of which lands to start with in private behind your screen. You are on your honor to start with up to 3 of each before drawing randomly.
• Beware of players trying to monopolize the Donate Land to the Church area.
• You will get more total turns in a 2 and 3 player game than a 4 or 5 player game. Plan accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Excellent. This was my first question after getting this game from TMG. Glad to see you being proactive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I just did a solo three-player game to learn the rules before teaching my group. My wife came in as I was finishing up and was immediately taken by the game, so I'm glad I can tell her there are two-player rules, and we don't have to wait for our next game night to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first two player game today and found that it worked pretty well.

The one thing that I might change (or try playing a little different) is the dummy player fountain score.

Mainly, I think that the dummy player should get 2pts. per fountain. This would bring the maximum score for the dummy to 14, 18 & 22 for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd decades (respectively). This would seem to be more in line with my expectations of scoring levels (albeit based on the whopping 2 games that I have played....).

I bring this up because I am only drawing 1 or 2 fountains on average for the dummy player. I think the bag is pretty well mixed up, but I'll see as I get more games under my belt.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
paigew wrote:
Mainly, I think that the dummy player should get 2pts. per fountain. This would bring the maximum score for the dummy to 14, 18 & 22 for the 1st, 2nd & 3rd decades (respectively). This would seem to be more in line with my expectations of scoring levels (albeit based on the whopping 2 games that I have played....).

I bring this up because I am only drawing 1 or 2 fountains on average for the dummy player. I think the bag is pretty well mixed up, but I'll see as I get more games under my belt.

1 or 2 fountains is normal. This is a great question. I spent the most time thinking about this.

Drawing 1 or 2 and the dummy player will be near a major title with each new decade:
5 or 6 near the Earl
9 or 10 near the Marquess
13 or 14 near the Duke

This way if a player was not taking prestige too serious they would loose out to the dummy player.

The maigc is in finding the place where the dummy player is in the game but not too annoying. I see players mainly going after prestige in one of 2 ways very serious about it or just enough to get by. If the players are really serious about it I decided I didn't want the dummy player to trouble them too much. That was starting to get annoying.

If you want to experiment then try pulling 7 tiles instead of 5. That will give you more granularity than 2 points per fountain and higher volatility too. When we played there was some tension when it came time to pull tiles. You were watching the pull carefully hoping for either a lot or none. Pulling out more will increase that too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My Turn Yet?
United States
Kirkland
WA
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="My Turn Yet?
badge
30 Days, 0 plays
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try drawing 7 and see what comes of it.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I thought the dummy worked well. We typically drew 1 or 2 fountains so it was just enough variability without being crazy. The initial start per decade seemed to be spot on. Sometimes he messed with the first player but more often messed with the 2nd.

If there is a tweak, I guess my suggestion would be to pull 5 tiles in decade one, and then 1 additional in each decade after that so 5, 6, 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.