Subject: Swiss Army decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been really struggling trying to build effective Swiss Army decks that have at least a passable chance to beat any scenario. I have no problem building decks that can beat pretty much any scenario, but I've been really struggling with decks that will put on at least a good showing against any scenario I might pull out.

Any ideas/suggestions/potential lists? Let's just assume everything in print (up through Numenor) is on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Davis
United Kingdom
Harlow
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/880828/the-search-for-a-.... There are a couple of quests this won't do well against (for example, Rosgobel) but it's the best general-purpose deck I've built so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
This is a rebellion, isn't it? I rebel.
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
I've been really struggling trying to build effective Swiss Army decks that have at least a passable chance to beat any scenario. I have no problem building decks that can beat pretty much any scenario, but I've been really struggling with decks that will put on at least a good showing against any scenario I might pull out.

Any ideas/suggestions/potential lists? Let's just assume everything in print (up through Numenor) is on the table.

My friends and I also were doing this a lot and having real good success. But near the end of the Dwarrowdelf cycle and now definitely with the Hobbit and Numenor boxes it started getting really pretty hard. The quests have just been going in so many different directions, which honestly is a good thing. It'll keep the game fresh and exciting. It just definitely means one deck won't get thru EVERYTHING easily.

Our group has since adapted to just building decks for cycles instead of EVERYTHING. So like, build a deck and try to make it thru ONE of the following:

-Core set + Mirkwood cycle + Massing at Osigiliath
-Khazad-dum + Dwarrowdelf cycle
-Hobbit box (+ eventually the other Hobbit box) + Battle of Lake-town
-Heirs of Numenor + Against the Shadow cycle

That is definitely pretty doable while still being a challenge. And it lets us build and try out more stuff since after we beat one we just build new decks and move on to the next cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Wilson
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing a double-handed playthrough of all the quests with the same two decks.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/150052/the-lord-of-the-rin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few decks I built, which should work well against a large number of scenarios.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/843437/a-deck-featuring-elro...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/848335/escaped-from-dol-guld...
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/894033/escaped-from-dol-guld...

The last two are built for a very specific purpose, but I am quite sure, that they should work very well in other scenarios, too (you might want to add a couple A Test of Will, maybe, and reduce a few duplicate unique characters for those).

Just noticed: the third link has a lot of similarities to the deck that John linked. He has a bit more variance in the cards, which I deliberately left out, but other than that...

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:

What number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be curious to hear how this pans out. You are describing the Holy Grail of LOTR:LCG... the One (or two) deck to rule them all.

I feel that Numenore just upped the antie on this considerably. From my brief exposure, my trusty Dwarrodelf and Hobbit decks got chewed up and spit out in HoN. It is almost like deckbuilding for a different game. I still havn't even managed to beat it's second scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Heir of Numenor, FFG made a big mistake and you can do an infinite loop.whistle

I shared the though with a player that has more time than me and he is currently re-doing all the scenario with a single deck using this loop.
I have made another deck, but since I don't have Heir of Numenor yet, nor the time to test it, I can't compare our result.
If your interest in our result, I can post it here when he is done.

If you want to access this dark and forbidden knowledge that ruins the game, PM me or just find it for yourself .

I'm growing sick of ffg errata.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noone forces you to use cards you consider broken.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Infinite loops have been (and still are) available before HoN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Usually infinite loops take long time to set up.

I don't know which one you are referring to since there are several ones at the moment, but if it can't be set up consistantly during first few turns, probably not that game breaking since your score will be terrible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know there was other loops.. or maybe you're talking about those that you can't take advantage of (or use a bit of luck at each loop) ?

The only one of some importance is on the third encounter deck of the Hobit where you have only treachery cards in the encounter and you cycle them for ever...

With the loop I know of, you can break it anytime you want, and do whatever you want, so usually, all your scenario end with a score of 40 or 50 or less with victory point, because you usually need 4 or 5 turn to play it. (you need 4 cards for the loop but will bring you nowhere, 5 to do whatever you want).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
alogos wrote:
I didn't know there was other loops.. or maybe you're talking about those that you can't take advantage of (or use a bit of luck at each loop) ?

The only one of some importance is on the third encounter deck of the Hobit where you have only treachery cards in the encounter and you cycle them for ever...

With the loop I know of, you can break it anytime you want, and do whatever you want, so usually, all your scenario end with a score of 40 or 50 or less with victory point, because you usually need 4 or 5 turn to play it. (you need 4 cards for the loop but will bring you nowhere, 5 to do whatever you want).

Galadhrim's Greeting, Will of the West, Forest Snare, and Lorien Guide can produce an infinite loop that generates infinite negative threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is definitly not my definition of a loop.......How is it, in any way, a loop ?

So, to be clear. A loop is where you can play forever, during one phase. A perfect one is one where you can play what you want in result of repeating this loop. All cards in your deck can be played any number of times. The cards needed for the loop are all players cards that you just need to play, whatever the situation, to make the loop (only excluding circumstantial penalty).
This is an ultimate swiss army deck. But fear not, FFG will post a faq !
It is an interesting deck to build, but after 4-5 games, it get pretty much tiring.

I talked with Sebastian Barth. He was talking of a loop that required some conditions to be met other than just playing the cards of the loop. He didn't know about the HoN card that made the loop a real one yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:

Hi,
I just posted this deck of elf heroes, I think it might be what your looking for, give it try I don't think you'll be disappointed on many scenarios. If you are let me know.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/896764/elf-hero-deck-wins-al...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alogos wrote:
That is definitly not my definition of a loop.......How is it, in any way, a loop ?

Play against Mirkwood and wait until Banks of the Anduin pops up. You'll see the loop in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alogos wrote:
With Heir of Numenor, FFG made a big mistake and you can do an infinite loop.whistle

I shared the though with a player that has more time than me and he is currently re-doing all the scenario with a single deck using this loop.
I have made another deck, but since I don't have Heir of Numenor yet, nor the time to test it, I can't compare our result.
If your interest in our result, I can post it here when he is done.

If you want to access this dark and forbidden knowledge that ruins the game, PM me or just find it for yourself .

I'm growing sick of ffg errata.

Why build all this suspense?
Just spill the beans already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
cordeirooo wrote:

Legacy of Durin +
Erebor Hammersmith +
Born Aloft +
Horn of Gondor +
Master of Lore

This draws your entire deck immediately. Add Will of the West plus whatever (Out of the Wild!) for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirprim wrote:
cordeirooo wrote:

Legacy of Durin +
Erebor Hammersmith +
Born Aloft +
Horn of Gondor +
Master of Lore

This draws your entire deck immediately. Add Will of the West plus whatever (Out of the Wild!) for the win.

Now, that is certainly interesting! Specially since - sans Horn of Gondor - all cards are of the same sphere.
Nice catch, man (or whoever 'found' this)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no five card combo that breaks a game. Sorry, building up a five card combo takes too much effort in and of itself, particularly in a game like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
sirprim wrote:
cordeirooo wrote:

Legacy of Durin +
Erebor Hammersmith +
Born Aloft +
Horn of Gondor +
Master of Lore

5 Lore 1 Tactics resources
5 cards

one of which is Horn of Gondor (only 1 copy per core set).

Being able to draw your entire deck in one phase is amazing,

but if you are skilled enough to have survived long enough to pull off this combo in Dol Guldur, Massing at Osgiliath, Return to Mirkwood, Shadow and Flame, Battle at Laketown, and the Heirs of Numenor quest, Im pretty sure you are skilled enough to beat those scenarios with decently built decks as well.

However, my respect for whomever came up with this combo. I certainly did not see it coming at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Barth
Germany
flag msg tools
Credits for this combo belong to alogos (or his friend).

The "problem" with this combo though, is that it is actually not too painful to set it up, because all 5 Combo pieces are good, solid and playable cards all by themselves. Especially Legacy of Durin in a dedicated Dwarf deck helps you find your pieces, and Dwarf decks are pretty strong atm and can survive a couple of turns.
Adding Nori to the mix, can help you stall even "easier". And alot of the other Dwarf goodies make this even faster (We are not Idle, etc.). I played this Combo prior to Heirs of Numenor (you loop later in the game via We are not Idle and Lure of Moria) and it can produce pretty sick first turns, e.g. (heroes are Ori, Nori and Dain): Play We are not Idle for 2 resources on Dain/Nori, play Kili/Fili, play A Very Good Tale, find Erebor Hammersmith and Erebor Battlemaster, discard Legacy of Durin, pick up Legacy of Durin with the Hammersmith and play it. And you are already golden. Your threat is already reduced to 24, so you can allow yourself a bit of leisure with questing, but you can probably already kill one enemy (defend with Dain, attack with Battlemaster). And coming turn 2 you already draw 2 cards and have 7 allies...
(I realize that this is a best case scenario, but getting to the combo is really not too hard with Legacy of Durin, Daeron's Runes, Ori, We are not Idle, A Very Good Tale (since your Combo pieces are either allies or attachments, this card is very strong in that setup))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.