Sails of Glory» Forums » General

Subject: So is it cards, models or both? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title says! I've looked through this forum and cannot see a definitive answer anywhere, although I may be missing it.

My favourite thing about WoW was collecting all the boxed games and card packs and getting all my family and friends into the game before finally putting down the cash for a load of planes once everyone was convinced.

I'm even more certain that I will want to do the same for SoG - mainly because I have a lot of age of sail ships that I could proxy with cards until I finally lay out the cash for a load of SoG ships, which I certainly would inevitably do. So does anyone know what it will be - cards, models or both?

If its models only from the get go this will probably be a serious financial impossibility for me and will inevitably count me out of this one (unless they release a loss leader starter set for the game - which won't do them any favours anyway). I defiitely want both and I think they'd get more sales for models if they also release cards. I would never have bought a ton of WoW models if I hadn't played the game loads with cards only first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
my impression is "both"...and i would say that selling models/mini's would be a great boost to sales; if it were cards only i would pass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
Since Wings of Glory: WW2 Starter Set went "model-only" for the starter, that's what I would expect here.

They are releasing Wings of Glory: WW2 Rules and Accessories Pack, so maybe you'll see something similar for this title if it sells well.

(I look forward to the models, myself)

Both would certainly sound preferable to me. With reference to your note about WofG WWII having a model only starter set this must have presumably been when the new company (?) took over the game (and the change of name). I bought the original WoW WWII game and this was card only and a long time before any minis came out for it. Its also a perfect example of why the options of cards is better for me. By the time the WWII version came out I had been playing the WWI game for some time and absolutely loving it. As a long time wargamer obsessed with WW2 I was incredibly excited about the WWII version of WoW. Had minis been available with the first boxed game I would have probably bought loads straight away..... and really regretted it because I really don't like or ever play the WWII version of WoW - don't ask why that's another thread entirely. I can't afford to make a costly mistake with SoG which is why minis only would be a mistake for me. Both cards and minis has to surely be the best for everyone (maybe even the manufacturer) - that way you can go with whatever you prefer and everyone can add more minis as they wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its models only. Each model will have a card that matches it but there will not be any 'card' only packs put out for Sails like there was with Wings of War when it first launched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalkingwolf wrote:
Its models only. Each model will have a card that matches it but there will not be any 'card' only packs put out for Sails like there was with Wings of War when it first launched.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably the thread you would be interested in going through.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/805606/cause-for-concern

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Ares has definitely been focused on developing their miniature lines. I think that's a great direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the obvious need for card "proxies" during gameplay (two models overlapping), I'm guessing that Sails of Glory will take the same approach as the other Wings of Glory titles from Ares Games: models only with a representational ship card in each boxcard only blister packs or expansions are highly unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here a preview of some almost complete prototypes of miniatures on Ares Game' Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=446458818734792&set=a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Zembrzuski
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
angiolillo wrote:
Here a preview of some almost complete prototypes of miniatures on Ares Game' Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=446458818734792&set=a...

Awesome! Thanks Andrea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bysouth
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stalkingwolf wrote:
This is probably the thread you would be interested in going through.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/805606/cause-for-concern

Ahhh, sorry I missed this thread when I posted and thanks to all that have replied. Just had a look at the first models and they certainly look great but if I'm honest I'll be surprised if they'll be available at a price point here in the UK that I'll be able to justify to my domestic manager... but I shall watch and wait with interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Westgard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh...and there goes more of my wallet.

I think this game's entertainment would be wasted without miniatures...they bring to life the real fantasy and illusion of naval warfare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.