Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's say I have Game A that I would like to trade for Game B. When I use the trade tool, I find a number of people that have Game B and want Game A. Obviously, the most efficient thing for me to do would be to message all those people at once, but that doesn't seem right. I imagine it would be appropriate to message one person initially asking about a trade. When do I move on to the next person if I do not hear from the original person?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you word the message properly, I think you can send it to multiple people at the same time. I would probably do it in batches of 5 or so, waiting about a week between. The wording would be something like:

Quote:
Hi,

I am interested in trading X for Y. My X is the Z version, in ZZ condition. If that is a trade you might be interested in, is your Y the nnn version, and what condition is it in?

If you are not interested, or if you need more time to think about it, I would appreciate hearing that too.

Thanks,

That would work for the 99% of "For Trade" listings that don't include version and/or condition information. It might also inspire them to add those details. If they did include all that, obviously you'll have to tweak the text.

By asking them a question, you are not actually making a proposal, and therefore you are leaving the door open to deals with other people.

At least, that's how I might do it. There are also times where I focus on just one or maybe 2 users, either because they have indicated more interest in the trade, or for some other reason. It would also depend on whether I was in a hurry.

As for your original question, I would say "several days". And I would send a follow-up message after that time saying "I haven't heard from you, but if you are still interested, let me know in case I haven't found another trader."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Fenrick
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what Kevin said. I will add though that I don't find it rude to message everyone at once. I usually even mention that I am throwing some feelers out there so they aren't surprised if I pass(and sometimes I'm not even sure I will make the trade, just curious if it is an option). I think most people respond pretty positively to a message, it's just when you are proposing trades out of the blue that get people bent out of shape. Oh and I usually only get responses from a 30-50% of the people I message anyways so if you went about it one at a time you may have to wait a while just to get a response(and hope it isn't a "decline").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you sent a formal trade request through BGG, I would say give it the full length of the time specified. If it's just a casual "Are you interested...?" geekmail, I would say 24 hours is appropriate.

You can sidestep the delay completely by stating simply at the beginning of your message, "I am sending this message to people I think may be interested in trading for ....."

The trade off is that by admitting that you are broadcasting the message to multiple people and not sending it as a personal message, people may be less inclined to respond directly if they are not interested. They may simply ignore it like junk mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.