Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rudy Barrett
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is it better to be feared or loved in a game of Cosmic Encounter? Basically, I want to hear some good Cosmic Encounter anecdotes about times when either intimidation and strength tactics payed off, or friendly negotiation and being a good ally won the day. Please share, I know there are some great stories out there.

I'll throw in with my it's better to be loved story: One game a couple game nights ago I was Fido and my good buddy was the Will. As soon as his turn came around we skyrocketed to the victory with two quick negotiates (with recycled negotiate cards for my buddy since I was Fido, "Hey would you like your only negotiate card back?"). I've never seen so many people that disappointed over a complete anticlimax but our 3 opponents were pretty mad. They teamed up to shut us down in the next game ,though, I guess for their alliance fear won out after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear. I've won a few games as Skeptic, and intimidated my way to victory with what arguably was the worst hand I've ever had in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear, always fear.

I was Plant (Steals other's powers), and Trickster was in the game. Trickster is the power where you play "which hand is the token in?" instead of relying on the card draw. This should make the proposition a 50-50 chance...

...unless you manage to convince the Trickster that you can read his body language perfectly, and always tell which hand he is hiding his token in. (I'm something of an amateur magician, so that may have had something to do with it!)

First encounter of the game was Trickster vs me. I act supremely confident and eager to get on with it. Due to this he gave himself away, and I was around 80% sure I knew which hand was which. As it turned out I was correct, and so I could use his power for the rest of the game.

Then, each time I was using the power, I *also* managed to convince the other player that I could make them choose the wrong hand, without fail. The end result was that the Trickster gave up on using his own power, and I was never the target of a wild destiny card - there were always more inviting options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Barrett
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was interesting I was expecting love to win the day since allies can be quite an asset, but I guess if you want a solo victory (the only kind that matters) you have to crush people under your boot heel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love, fear, whatever. If my opponents are completely baffled by my actions in the game, or they're laughing their asses off, then I've got them right where I want them... devil ...playing Cosmic Encounter with me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Pseudonym
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think love might win you more games... but where's the fun in that?
FEAR ME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram Verbiest
Belgium
Kaprijke
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Fear is the mindkiller"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.