Recommend
13 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: I feel good. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/12/04/papa-johns-...

Made my day.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:


Love it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm opening a new restaurant called "Schadenfreudes!"

You're all welcome to come to opening day. The main course is crow with a side of your own words and humble pie for dessert.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I'm opening a new restaurant called "Schadenfreudes!"

You're all welcome to come to opening day. The main course is crow with a side of your own words and humble pie for dessert.


I'll admit it, I'm really enjoying their suffering. I don't really think of them suffering though. Hell call it the market at work, call it the invisible hand, call it what you want, it's just DELICIOUS KARMA!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I'm opening a new restaurant called "Schadenfreudes!"

You're all welcome to come to opening day. The main course is crow with a side of your own words and humble pie for dessert.


That's great, but only if it's pronounced correctly:



2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
masaakunokouchi wrote:


This is where having information is important.

Lacking information and presented with two italian restaurants / pizza makers:

People will chose the one that tastes good, has good service, and which is less expensive.

Given information, some people will go for the tasty food with good service which is more expensive. And sometimes just reject the bad actor if they are the only choice.

Nothing explains how people keep buying products from foreign companies that treat their employees like slaves. The interviews with them seem very jaded. Often they spout the corporate line that those 14 year olds working 12 hours a day, being crippled by hexafane (sp), and maybe burning to death should consider themselves lucky.


To be fair-- olive garden has always been expensive and lately, it's gotten almost unbearable. Like $30 for two people - no wine for the same amount of food other restaurants are charging about $22-$24 for. Then you put the tip on top and ... well ... I can see why their business is down.

Oh and the last time I went, the portion sizes were noticeably smaller too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
masaakunokouchi wrote:


This is where having information is important.

Lacking information and presented with two italian restaurants / pizza makers:

People will chose the one that tastes good, has good service, and which is less expensive.

Given information, some people will go for the tasty food with good service which is more expensive. And sometimes just reject the bad actor if they are the only choice.

Nothing explains how people keep buying products from foreign companies that treat their employees like slaves. The interviews with them seem very jaded. Often they spout the corporate line that those 14 year olds working 12 hours a day, being crippled by hexafane (sp), and maybe burning to death should consider themselves lucky.


To be fair-- olive garden has always been expensive and lately, it's gotten almost unbearable. Like $30 for two people - no wine for the same amount of food other restaurants are charging about $22-$24 for. Then you put the tip on top and ... well ... I can see why their business is down.

Oh and the last time I went, the portion sizes were noticeably smaller too.
I think it's a reaction against blatant politicking, not employment practice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter used to eat Papa John's twice a week.

We used to get Papa John's for the kids once a week when the schedule had both my wife and I home too late for dinner and we could order online. After weekend cheer practice, my daughter's whole squad would go.

Once the whole Obamacare reaction happened, we stopped.

The information was had.

This reaction was clearly political. The people voted, squeezed where it hurt.

From purchases I was involved in, they sold 6 less pies a week.

We won't be going back.
6 
 Thumb up
0.06
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:

6 pizzas a week? Really?? How many different people eat those 6 pizzas in a week?


My daughter's cheer leading team. Might be 15-20 girls.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Also, does everyone know the political leanings of every resturant or store they patronize? Or just care about the politics of the ones that make the news?


If they don't act like idiots, I don't care what their political leanings are. When they talk about treating their employees badly, I don't care which way they lean.

My libertarian friends say that regulations aren't needed because people will just stop doing business with companies that do bad things. Then when people stop doing business with companies that act in a way they don't like, the same people often say how silly and ineffective it is.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Also, does everyone know the political leanings of every restaurant or store they patronize? Or just care about the politics of the ones that make the news?


What a disingenuous way to frame the situation.

Firstly, these businesses didn't just "make the news." They purposefully went on FoxNews and basically threatened to hurt their employees if Obamacare passed. It was a deliberate attempt to sway public opinion and get their guy elected that backfired.

Moreover, the argument that I shouldn't do anything because I can't do everything is ridiculous. I care about the children dying in Africa; I care about the inequalities suffered by women; I care about the environment; I care about a bunch of shit that because of time and resource constraints I can't do much about. Does that mean I should then do nothing in order to be consistent?






10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Also, does everyone know the political leanings of every resturant or store they patronize? Or just care about the politics of the ones that make the news?


You're free to lean whatever way you want.

Once you become an insufferable idiot, then you pay the price.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
RoverGuy wrote:
Also, does everyone know the political leanings of every resturant or store they patronize? Or just care about the politics of the ones that make the news?

The CEO's of the organizations mentioned in this thread chose to make this political. The individual restaurants chose to go into business with those organizations and pay them franchise fees and royalties. If the asshat CEO's hadn't tried to make a failed political play, then it wouldn't have been an issue.

But seriously, isn't this just the free market system at work?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.




Proof that money can't buy taste.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.




Proof that money can't buy taste.


I'm going to have to disagree. Underground batman-like parking complex? Ponds? Golf course? Lord only knows what's INSIDE. Unnecessary and obscene decadence? Of course! But its still pretty epic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.




Proof that money can't buy taste.


I'm going to have to disagree. Underground batman-like parking complex? Ponds? Golf course? Lord only knows what's INSIDE. Unnecessary and obscene decadence? Of course! But its still pretty epic.
Epic does not imply taste, I think that's the point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.




Proof that money can't buy taste.


I'm going to have to disagree. Underground batman-like parking complex? Ponds? Golf course? Lord only knows what's INSIDE. Unnecessary and obscene decadence? Of course! But its still pretty epic.
Epic does not imply taste, I think that's the point.


I think if you lived in that house you'd be having way too much fun to care.
Why, surely it's the contents not the container that make it fun (barring cardboard boxes and small children)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Judging by "Papa" John Schnatter's house 40,000 sq. ft. castle-mansion on 17 acres in Kentucky, I don't think he'll be hurting too much.




Proof that money can't buy taste.


I'm going to have to disagree. Underground batman-like parking complex? Ponds? Golf course? Lord only knows what's INSIDE. Unnecessary and obscene decadence? Of course! But its still pretty epic.
Epic does not imply taste, I think that's the point.


I think if you lived in that house you'd be having way too much fun to care.
Why, surely it's the contents not the container that make it fun (barring cardboard boxes and small children)?


Well the contents happen to include a Bat-Cave. And that's just what's visible from outside.
Fun city USA.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:


Quote:
Well the contents happen to include a Bat-Cave. And that's just what's visible from outside.
Fun city USA.


If you had one you could call your own, would you be able to fight the urge to use it for a paintball match?
Yes, with ease.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Quote:
If you had one you could call your own, would you be able to fight the urge to use it for a paintball match?
Yes, with ease.


You'd be a really boring rich person.


So you're thinking maybe using real guns and instead hunt the homeless on the compound?

Now you're talking. Where's my 100 dollar bill rolled cubano?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Quote:
If you had one you could call your own, would you be able to fight the urge to use it for a paintball match?
Yes, with ease.


You'd be a really boring rich person.
If I had that amount of land (and wanted to do airsoft) I would do this
(on a larger scale) not fuck about in a garage.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayfield
United States
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
RoverGuy wrote:

6 pizzas a week? Really?? How many different people eat those 6 pizzas in a week?


My daughter's cheer leading team. Might be 15-20 girls.


do you think he comprehended it the second time you wrote it?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
"Papa John" gave a public recantation a few weeks ago. He has rejoined the church of Obama. The signal has been given, Obama-lickers! You can patronize his business again.


You couldn't pay me to eat that shit, but thanks anyway!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
Avatar
mb
Papa John's sauce is waaaaay too sweet for my taste.

And I hate their toppings.

Marco's Pizza, http://marcos.com/stores, a new chain that opened up here in Austin, is much, much better than Papa John's.

I'd rather eat Pizza Slut over Papa John's, to be honest.

Darilian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.