Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few weeks I have taught the game to a few new players. Also I have read the post here from new players. From this I started to see the need for a game that was more forgiving. A game that allowed you to pursue your goals more easily. So I created what I am calling "Family Rules".

There are not very many changes to the regular rules. The goal was to give players more time. But then they also need a little more money and land too.

By the way the two player rules use all the family rules.

I have uploaded a PDF of them and also pasted them below:

---------------
Family rules

Overview:
To make the game more family friendly give all players more money and more lands to start with. Also give players more turns to go after other goals.

These are the differences from the regular rules.

Setup:
Step #8 - Give All players 12£ for their starting money instead of 10£. Players that are not the starting player still receive 1 more pound than the player to their right.

Do setup #15 before setup step #11. Choose your scandal card before choosing your lands. Seeing your scandal card might help you choose which lands you may need.

Step #11 Each player gets 15 lands. Each player chooses up to 3 of each type and then draws from the bag until they have 15 lands.

Masquerade Ball
Ignore step #6 on the Masquerade Ball rules. Leave the round counter where it is. At the end of the Ball the round counter does not move. The player to the left of the player with the Queen takes his turn. The next time a player ends his turn with the Queen the round marker moves to the next space like normal.

This will give 2 extra turns per decade to allow you to pursue more goals per game.

Helpful hints:
• Do not let yourself run out of lands. Complete a forest at some point before you run out of lands. Remember you can trade lands with the bag 2:1 and get the lands you want.
• Chapels are very valuable. You should give yourself a place to play one very early.
• Prestige is somewhat important.
• During setup step #11 you can make the choice of which lands to start with in private behind your screen. You are on your honor to start with up to 3 of each before drawing randomly.
• Beware of players trying to monopolize the Donate Land to the Church area.
• You will get more total turns in a 2 and 3 player game than a 4 or 5 player game. Plan accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having played the 2-player games with basically these rules, I am suspicious of the round track - the one thing I wasn't keen on from my read through of the rules.

I really think ignoring step 6 in any version of the game is way to go. I still need to actually play with more people but the time track just doesn't seem to scale correctly with the number of players. In a 5-player game, you are only guaranteed 2, maybe 3 turns in one decade. Obviously that is every one being aggressive. And maybe the 1 VP can more easily be discarded. My philosophy in the 2-player was to leave it alone. I lost by 7 and my wife gained lots of points but I felt I closed the gap with some big moves by allowing the turn to drag on.

Are you willing to give any insight on why you made this such a short track or at least not more variable based on the number of players? Or do you think is just something we will discover with more plays? Because right now, this is the one thing holding me back from saying this is a great game .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are you willing to give any insight on why you made this such a short track or at least not more variable based on the number of players?

I will try but it’s no big mystery.

The Round Track is not supposed to scale with the number of players. A 5-player game is meant to be less predictable than a 3-player game.

When we were first tweaking these rules and noticed that a 3-player game was different from a 5-player we liked it. I like that the game is different depending on the number players. Your stratagems need to adjust to the number of players.

ColtsFan76 wrote:
I really think ignoring step 6 in any version of the game is way to go.

The family rules can be more strategic. They give a bit more time to plan and carry out your plans.

Quote:
In a 5-player game, you are only guaranteed 2, maybe 3 turns in one decade.

OK you made me work out some examples in excel! : -- )

It is mathematically possible for all 5 players to collude together and then player 5 will only have 2 turns in decade 1. It would take 4 players buying Palaces and two players selecting and playing the Whitehall Scandal card at the right time. If I was player 5 I would then buy 5 Bribe Royalty tokens and be the player in the lead since none of the other players were able to surround their Palaces with land.

In order to surround your castle you need to play lands at least 3 times. Since this will give VPs players should go for that. The game is about deciding which lands to surround your castles with. This will extend the length of the first decade. I think you can hope for 4 turns for the first decade. And from my experience in a short 5 player game everyone typically gets about 15 turns for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

It is mathematically possible for all 5 players to collude together and then player 5 will only have 2 turns in decade 1. It would take 4 players buying Palaces and two players selecting and playing the Whitehall Scandal card at the right time. If I was player 5 I would then buy 5 Bribe Royalty tokens and be the player in the lead since none of the other players were able to surround their Palaces with land.

I don't think that's such a good idea. You don't gain any benefit for being in the lead at the end of the first decade, and you don't get your money back for buying bribes any more than you would if you had more turns, so if it's better to not buy bribes given more time in the first decade, then it's still better not to buy bribes if the first decade is short. This is not a good consolation or strategy for when you are player 5 in a short game any more than it may be good to do otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Xaqery wrote:

In order to surround your castle you need to play lands at least 3 times. Since this will give VPs players should go for that. The game is about deciding which lands to surround your castles with. This will extend the length of the first decade.

Is your math taking into account the players also completing gardens? Also, it seems that Cunning Blow would throw a wrnech in this as well being able to place more lands (to potentially take the queen too if it is again gardens) or to be able to surround your castles.palaces more quickly.

Quote:
I think you can hope for 4 turns for the first decade. And from my experience in a short 5 player game everyone typically gets about 15 turns for the game.

Which aligns with my 3 turns per player (per decade). I'll have to play it out with those numbers to see, but this still feels the greatest weakness of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
sedgtroll wrote:
I don't think that's such a good idea. You don't gain any benefit for being in the lead at the end of the first decade, and you don't get your money back for buying bribes any more than you would if you had more turns, so if it's better to not buy bribes given more time in the first decade, then it's still better not to buy bribes if the first decade is short. This is not a good consolation or strategy for when you are player 5 in a short game any more than it may be good to do otherwise.

Sounds like you and I need to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
sedgtroll wrote:

Sounds like you and I need to play!

Bring it on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Quote:
I think you can hope for 4 turns for the first decade. And from my experience in a short 5 player game everyone typically gets about 15 turns for the game.

Which aligns with my 3 turns per player (per decade).

Perhaps I am missing something, but 15 turns for each player means 5 turns per player per decade, not 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thygra wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Quote:

Which aligns with my 3 turns per player (per decade).

Perhaps I am missing something, but 15 turns for each player means 5 turns per player per decade, not 3.

Ha. You're right. I divided by players not decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.