Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I place my prior on a newly built building even if I can't preform the action stated on the building.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to me this is a great question, I don't remember seeing in the rules where it states that you can't, however, it does say in the 4 page general rulebook that "...you can immediately carry out one extra action of placing your prior on the newly built building and using the buildings functions."

I may add that I don't see any harm in agreeing before the game that you could place him on without using the function...

although I feel this question comes from a game where there is still a bet to be settled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have to admit I'm a bit surprised. In most of Uwe's other games, you are not allowed to place a worker if you cannot perform the related action. (For example, you can't use the construction firm in Le Havre if you don't have enough resources to actually build a building.) I would have assumed that Ora is the same - you cannot use a building simply to block/prevent another player from using it. However, checking the rules on pages 2 & 3, there is nothing explicitly stating you have to use a building if you put a worker in it. Unless this has been contradicted elsewhere, I would say prior placement without taking an action is a legal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon George
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cromeyellow wrote:
however, it does say in the 4 page general rulebook that "...you can immediately carry out one extra action of placing your prior on the newly built building and using the buildings functions."

I suspect this has been lost in translation, if you change 'of' to 'by' it would fit Uwe's other games.

Perhaps a german speaker could interpret the original rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Detailed Rules states it this way:

Quote:
The effect of the prior when building
After having built a building, you can use your prior to immediately use the function of the building. Place your prior onto the newly-built building.
(You can only do this with your prior, and only if your prior is available.)

So getting technical, it says you may immediately use the function of the building (by placing your available Prior). This would imply also being able to take the action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Murphy
United States
Saint James
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that until I hear otherwise, it will have to be agreed upon prior to starting the game.
Your correct on the bet to be settled which is exactly why I needed to ask the question last night. Thanks for all your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brooklynknight wrote:
I agree that until I hear otherwise, it will have to be agreed upon prior to starting the game.
Your correct on the bet to be settled which is exactly why I needed to ask the question last night. Thanks for all your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.