Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you automatically claim the hex with an influence token from your influence track and take the discovery tile

Or

Are you not allowed to place an influence token after combat with an Ancient Ship and must you wait until the next round and use an influence action?

I'll search the threads, but could not find a solution. I apologize if this has been asked before. I just received the game yesterday, so I'm still working on getting these rules down.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you defeat the ancient(s) in combat you are allowed to put your disc on the hex immediately,Claim the discovery tile, and once done you can immediately colonize the planets assuming you have unused colony ships available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
You can claim the discovery tile any time you place an influence token in the hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moreover you may place influence token after battles on every hex where you have ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be more precise:

At the end of the combat phase, any player who has ships in a system with no influence discs may place an influence disc from their track there. There is no requirement that combat actually took place (in fact, moving lone interceptors with the sole purpose of 'free influencing' is common in our group)

Since you just defeated an ancient, I presume you have ships in the (now) empty system, and so you can claim it as soon as everyone else is done fighting too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers everyone! Although now I'm questioning the usefulness of the influence action. I thought maybe my scenario could have possibly been a example of when one would use influence.

I played my first game today and exactly zero players used an influence action during the entire game. I'll do some research through the forums here to find some examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Michalak
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
Gaming is for having fun. Fun requires clear rules.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Remove discs from hexes which had only discovery tile.
2. Claim hex before other player (and colonize it with extra ships)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:
Thanks for the answers everyone! Although now I'm questioning the usefulness of the influence action. I thought maybe my scenario could have possibly been a example of when one would use influence.

I played my first game today and exactly zero players used an influence action during the entire game. I'll do some research through the forums here to find some examples.

You are actually pretty close to the point already: Influence is a marginal action. It does not, and does not try to, match up to the other actions. The game would, however, behave oddly in a few specific cases if it was not there when you needed it.

So, no one doing influence for a full game is not an uncommon situation.

Some examples of when you would use influence:

- You need more than three colony ships during a round, and the extra resources this gets you justifies the single disc you would spend influencing.
- You abandoned some systems early, and now need to reoccupy them without spending a ship
- You need to take discs back from systems, but it is not feasibly to push a deficit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.