Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping this simple. The right to left copy power of the robot is messed up. Other variants want to change the mechanics of the robot, I don't.

Believe me, it sucks to get beat by the robot when you play well. I'm ok with that. But lose because of arbitrary copy rolls? Especially when said rolls don't even come close to emulating reality. This is ridiculous. The robot needs to work a little bit harder than that particularly when earning high value spots.

So my variant changes only one thing--the direction of the copy power arrow. Why Tom decided on right to left vs. left to right is beyond me. Has this question been addressed in the forums?

I feel this lowers the power of the robot slightly without changing any mechanics. Tom is a brilliant man with a brilliant game, but the robot deserves some scrutiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Robot Variant
When I actually choose x2 as my phase, I often don't care much if it is copied. Most of the time, I care far more if $ or V is copied, and this is because I am using them more often and earlier in the game.

Your variant makes it much easier to get away with trading. Not sure how much it nerfs the robot without playtesting, but I think it will be much easier to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: New Robot Variant
Thanks for your response Michael. I agree with your statement. For example, if you play a pure military strategy, you don't have to worry about being copied with the x2 because you never choose it.

What I'm seeing in my play testing is a fault with the */copy rule in the robot play. Who can deny the robot's strength is on the right side. My question is why go right to left with the copy power instead of left to right?

I am going to revise my variant above to include only this change.

Cheers,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.