Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is stupid, or I missed it in the rules, but:

Say I have a character with an intrigue icon (or military or power), but an effect has lowered my character's strength to zero. Can I still initiate a challenge with that character? It still possesses an icon, so my gut would say yes. Then if my opponent doesn't play a character I win, right?
Or if they play a character with an icon, but power of zero, would I win, tying with zero power?

Can you also point me to the part of the rules that deal with this so I can show my opponent? Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core Set Rules (from the LCG - I don't have my copy of the rules from this version), page 14:

(A challenge may not be won by an attacker or defender whose total STR is less than 1, or who has no participating characters when the challenge is resolved.)

Nobody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryon I think you have found a flaw in the rules. Though you are technically right I feel it will be fixed in the FAQs. I have brought this up at FFG's forum. We'll have to see what happens.

"Or if they play a character with an icon, but power of zero, would I win, tying with zero power?"

Weirdly enough, as the rules read, not only would you win, but you would get a power bonus for a defender defending with less than a strength of one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This official response I got from FFGs:

Quote:
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

However, the rulebook is actually correct as written for this product (HBO Game of Thrones). Having no special exceptions to this particular rule was done deliberately. If you have equal or greater Strength as the attacker, you win the challenge.

In addition, there are only two cards in the entire set that reduce a character's Strength: the plots "Hear Me Roar" and "Spies in Their Midst." As such, the situation of having 0 Strength is significantly more rare than in the AGoT LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In addition, there are only two cards in the entire set that reduce a character's Strength: the plots "Hear Me Roar" and "Spies in Their Midst." As such, the situation of having 0 Strength is significantly more rare than in the AGoT LCG.

That's funny that they said this, as it happened in my FIRST play through.

So, challenging with zero is possible and having equal strengths of zero DOES give the attacker a win in this version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that but they get the power token bonus for an undefended challenge of they play no defenders or a defender with no strength.

Though they said it's rare (which your case proves it's not) I pointed out that I fully expect at least one expansion in the future making it possible to play a four player game. So there may be cards that can cause this to happen more frequently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I appreciate your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, no lie, it's happened in 2 of the 4 games I've played so far. Not really rare.

This time (and maybe last time, I don't remember) I was playing House Stark. I played the "Spies in Their Midst" plot card, making my GF's intrigue challenges at -2 strength (she played her "Game of Thrones" plot card letting her initiate two intrigue challenges, ha!). On her second intrigue challenge she only had a 2 strength character (now 0 strength) left. I had no more intrigue characters left.

So she won the intrigue challenge again (with 0 power) and got the unopposed bonus.

Not too rare in our playthroughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Vista
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may have to house rule against this. Regardless of what FFG said I feel that have to change this when, and if, the FAQs come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.