Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: 18xx [+] [View All]
Luke McCarthy
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been thinking about getting an economic train-related game (really, it doesn't need to be train-related even) and I came across the 18xx series, specifically 1830, which seems to be the standard recommendation for starting out in the 18xx series. I've played German Railways and I like a lot that goes on in the game, but don't like the turn order mechanic as much. Though it's interesting, I would prefer a game that has more depth to the stock system and doesn't leave turn order up to chance (which one could certainly argue has less bearing on victory, but it definitely has some bearing, and I prefer to have none in that department). Then, I considered the similar Chicago Express, which plays in only 60 minutes and clearly doesn't have the depth of 1830 or other games in that series.

The only real sticking point for me is that 5 hours (does 1830 really take that long??) is a lot to commit to one game. Are there comparable games that take less time? Is 1830 really that much better than the competition and worth the large time investment? Finally, on a somewhat unrelated note, are there any other games in the 18xx family that might be worth looking into?

Thanks in advance for all your guys knowledge and feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I bought 1830 2 months ago. I only played half game 2 time. Yes it's long. It's the game I want to play the more on my shelves. But if you don't have the group for it don't buy it. I start to regret my choice just for that. My friend promises we will play a full game the 29th December since everyone will be in vacation and it's a day consuming game...

Honestly 5hours might even be for more experienced players.

Personally I love stock market, Im an investor so this game is really for me. The only problem again is the play time. For me it's never a problem. I suggested them we could save the game and finish it another day but it's not the group for that I guess

Hopefully after the 29 they will want to play it more !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Play By Email is the answer my friends!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/492594/18xx-play-by-email-ga...

Chicago Express is a great game though and it definitely has depth. The first time you play, you may win or you may lose but no matter what, you'll have no idea why. It took me 3 plays before the light really went on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
The length of time an 18xx games takes to play is highly variable. The following post explains why (and may also be of use to you as you try to learn 18xx):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/770853/why-groups-of-new...

Some shorter 18xx games are:

1846: The Race for the Midwest
1812: The Cradle of Steam Railways
18AL
1824: Austria-Hungary

as well as (when played by experienced players) 1830.

My favorite 18xx game, 1846: The Race for the Midwest, takes our group less than 2 hours with 3 or 4 players. Most groups will take longer to play the game---some will take much longer, for the reasons I explain in the linked article.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poseidon might be a nice halfway point. Plays in two hours and is considered by some a gateway 18XX game although some 18XX fans dismiss it as not being an actual 18XX game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 1830 for the first time recently. We had a group of six, and we did have two new players, but it was looong. I enjoyed it, but 5 hours seems very possible even for experienced players (if nobody goes bankrupt to end the game).

So yes, it's a lot of fun, but make sure your group really is ok with the game length before buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chicago Express is a great game but is only thematically a stock game. It is an economic game in every sense of the word, though.

Wealth of Nations is an amazing financial game, IMO. With V2 rules, expect to take about 3 hours to play it. Lots of negotiation and haggling and trying to control the 5 markets in the game. One of my favorites.

Some train stockholding economic games that are not 18xx are:
Bullfrog Goldfield
Baltimore & Ohio
Silverton
Stephenson's Rocket

If you get a willing group, though, no question 1830 is the one to try out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remi
France
Paris
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
on the "something similar" side, did you try Modern art ?

It's a game with very interesting conflicts. An auction game in witch you start with a handful of paintings from different artists. Each turn, you sell to the other player a painting. In each season the most sold artist is worth the more. But the more you sell one artist, the less you have of his paintings in your hand.

It's a different model of stock market than 18xx, there is no fixed grid of price of each artist, but I found the movement of prices to there and very subtle. Like in any good stock market game, it's not about guessing what is better, but it's about manipulating the market so they do what's good for you.

It's played in an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial and Imperial 2030 are like a mix of Diplomacy and a stock game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.