Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've already read over the rulebook multiple times and watch numerous videos.

My friend and I are going to play Friday for the first time. Are there any card interactions or certain rule that would be easily missed by us in these first couple of early games?

I'm about to read over the FAQ, but having not actually played with most of these cards it's hard to gather much from it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top interactions that hang up or befuddle players:

1) Femme Fatale vs Tollbooth: She bypasses the whole ICE for 1 credit total.
2) Femme Fatale vs Chum: If she bypasses the ICE after Chum, since you didn't break the subroutines, Chum does it's damage.
3) Snare: Can be in HQ, R&D, and remotes and still trigger.
4) Data Raven: The hosted power counter (and all of them) can be used at pretty much any time.
5) Medium: Multiple mediums stack, increasing the number of cards you access from R&D.
6) Medium + Demolition Run: Allow the runner to trash a ton of cards.

...That's all I can think of for the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple that come to mind:

- When you install a piece of ICE, it costs 1 credit for each piece of ICE already protecting that server.
- The corp only gets 3 actions, and also draws a card at the beginning of their turn. The runner gets 4 actions, and does not automatically draw a card.
- You can't use the breaking ability of one ICEbreaker with another ICEbreaker's strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside Job will bypass the first ENCOUNTERED piece of ICE, and ICE that the corp chooses to/cannot rez is not encountered, it is passed. So it effectively ignores the first rezzed ICE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rez economy assets at the end of the runner's turn. You don't have to pay for them and give the runner a whole turn with knowledge of what they are to destroy them before you get a chance to use them. Rez upgrades when they become relevant, and not a second before. You can basically rez things whenever, and that's very important to the balance of the game. For instance, it makes Account Siphon much less spectacular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
HB Bioroid ice continues to cause queries from new players. There are many threads on it already on BGG, all asking the same question.

The downside of HB ice is that you can spend a click to break a subroutine. You do not need to match the strength to do this, you don't even need to have an icebreaker in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
You can basically rez things whenever, and that's very important to the balance of the game. For instance, it makes Account Siphon much less spectacular.

Are you implying that the corp could rez any card "during" the account siphon play ? It's not my understanding. For me, from the moment the runner play account siphon to the moment the action is finally resolved, the corp may only rezzed ICEs encountered during that run, and that's it. So if Kate run an unprotected Adonis HQ, the corp won't be able to rez anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong !

(fix my confusion about Adonis / HQ)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LeRoy Feinberg
United States
California
flag msg tools
Haiku wrote:
brisingre wrote:
You can basically rez things whenever, and that's very important to the balance of the game. For instance, it makes Account Siphon much less spectacular.

Are you implying that the corp could rez any card "during" the account siphon play ? It's not my understanding. For me, from the moment the runner play account siphon to the moment the action is finally resolved, the corp may only rezzed ICEs encountered during that run, and that's it. So if Kate run an unprotected Adonis, the corp won't be able to rez anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong !

Account Siphon can only be used to run at HQ. You may be thinking of Bank Job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Egarthen wrote:
Account Siphon can only be used to run at HQ. You may be thinking of Bank Job.

Oups, sorry I was confused, my example was silly. But I edited my post since my question is still valid to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:
brisingre wrote:

Are you implying that the corp could rez any card "during" the account siphon play ? It's not my understanding. For me, from the moment the runner play account siphon to the moment the action is finally resolved, the corp may only rezzed ICEs encountered during that run, and that's it. So if Kate run an unprotected Adonis HQ, the corp won't be able to rez anything. Please correct me if I'm wrong !

You're wrong.

The run you make using Account Siphon is a run as any other run.
And during runs The Corp has the opportunity to rez non ice cards and to use paid ability.
See for reference the updated timing structure of a run in the official faq.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:
brisingre wrote:

You can only rez ice as it's encountered, but you can rez assets and upgrades, and (I believe) use paid abilities without timing restrictions any time. (So, you can also burn all your money on a corporate troubleshooter in an unrelated server if you want to stop the runner getting it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
Haiku wrote:
brisingre wrote:

You can only rez ice as it's encountered, but you can rez assets and upgrades, and (I believe) use paid abilities without timing restrictions any time. (So, you can also burn all your money on a corporate troubleshooter in an unrelated server if you want to stop the runner getting it.)

Not quite. There are still timing restrictions. The most important point for Account Siphon is this:

The Corp has to use paid-for abilities and rez cards before the Runner decides whether to use Account Siphon or not. This is because the text of the card reads:

"Make a run on HQ. If successful, instead of accessing cards you may force the Corp to lose up to 5 [Credits], then you gain 2 [Credits] for each credit lost and take 2 tags."

This "if successful" condition resolves after the time to use paid-for abilities and rez cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What Malefact said. You can rez a SanSan to ditch your credits, but the Runner can then respond by accessing a card instead and avoiding taking the 2 tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sportacus wrote:
During runs The Corp has the opportunity to rez non ice cards and to use paid ability. See for reference the updated timing structure of a run in the official faq.

Ok thanks everybody for the clarification ! I completly overlook that reading the rulebook, but as you say, the FAQ is much more clear about timings, and I will definitivly print one when I'll get my box.

And indeed it makes Siphon Account much less of a threat for player knowing there timings right (hopefully everybody but me cool)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haiku wrote:
Sportacus wrote:
During runs The Corp has the opportunity to rez non ice cards and to use paid ability. See for reference the updated timing structure of a run in the official faq.

Ok thanks everybody for the clarification ! I completly overlook that reading the rulebook, but as you say, the FAQ is much more clear about timings, and I will definitivly print one when I'll get my box.

And indeed it makes Siphon Account much less of a threat for player knowing there timings right (hopefully everybody but me cool)

Yes, although I don't know I'd say it's much less of a threat unless you were running an upgrade-heavy deck. It's a great card which is why its influence cost is 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy b
msg tools
the rulebook recommends you play jinteki vs shaper for the first play. running against jinteki, this could come up:

if the runner scores an agenda worth enough points to end the game with zero cards in hand, the runner wins

the scoring of the agenda immediately ends the game before the corp's ability can fire.

also, when you play modded, the card is installed as part of the event's resolution. you do not need to pay an 'install click' for the effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.