Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Josiah and I"m a compulsive sleever . I sleeve an awful lot of games, quite often when they don't really "need" it.

Recently though one of my friends asked me if I'd ever tried just laminating the cards instead of sleeving them. Initially I laughed at the depths of my own OCDness that my friend would even suggest it to me. But then it got me curious, has anyone tried this? I have my own small lamination machine, and am now curious if it could be done reasonably cheap. The cards would obviously wear like iron and since I could do it myself at home it shouldn't be that terribly expensive (albeit a little labor intensive to cut them all out once they are put through on the sheet).

Any of my fellow sleeve happy geeks tried this? Did it work? Was it just cost prohibitive? Too labor intensive? I'm just looking for a little feedback from people who have tried it or considered it. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never tried that, though I'm not sure I would like it. I would probably get a touch OCD on the laminates making sure that all the corners and edges were cut to a perfectly uniform shape, and I'm not sure that I could accomplish it. Odds are there would always be a few cards you could tell just by a small nick in the laminate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it and never would for these reasons.

I have used a hot laminator at work and the cards come out very stiff almost like a credit crd.

I own a cold laminator that I have used for many things. It is tacky and has an unplesant texture. Fine for boards or reference sheets, but a deck of cards would not suit it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't do it.

Worn out sleeves are easily replaced.

But even lamination sheets get scratches and suffer from (heavy) usage. And once laminated, you can't go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kartigan wrote:
Hi, my name is Josiah and I"m a compulsive sleever . I sleeve an awful lot of games, quite often when they don't really "need" it.

Recently though one of my friends asked me if I'd ever tried just laminating the cards instead of sleeving them. Initially I laughed at the depths of my own OCDness that my friend would even suggest it to me. But then it got me curious, has anyone tried this? I have my own small lamination machine, and am now curious if it could be done reasonably cheap. The cards would obviously wear like iron and since I could do it myself at home it shouldn't be that terribly expensive (albeit a little labor intensive to cut them all out once they are put through on the sheet).

Any of my fellow sleeve happy geeks tried this? Did it work? Was it just cost prohibitive? Too labor intensive? I'm just looking for a little feedback from people who have tried it or considered it. Thanks.

DON'T DO IT. EVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a couple of friends the laminated the player sheets for Ora and Labora, but cards seem like overkill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated my No Retreat! Solitaire cards where I normally sleeve my cards. Because there were only a few cards in this expansion I decided to laminate them. Though the results were satisfying this experiment is the first and the last one. As said before, the cards become very stiff and hard to handle and shuffling isn't pleasant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've laminated player aids from time to time, and did my Heroscape unit cards. While this worked fine, I would never laminate normal cards because:
PzVIE wrote:
But even lamination sheets get scratches and suffer from (heavy) usage. And once laminated, you can't go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I've laminated some self made "cards" because they were just regular paper and need some reinforcement.

I'd never do it for real cards. It's just WAY more work than just sticking them into sleeves. I highly doubt it would be cheaper too. And - like others said - you can always replace a damaged sleeve or go back to un-sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got a card laminator at the games club, I think he won't buy games that have a large number of cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
I have used a hot laminator at work and the cards come out very stiff almost like a credit crd.

This. Cards are just too thick to end up playable when laminated.

On the other hand, when I am making PnP cards, I DO laminate them. But I start with a thin piece of card (too thin to be playable as is), and laminate and trim. That ends up with what feels like plastic cards that are bendy enough, and can be shuffled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me just chime in and say that laminate will discolour and shrink over time and unlike sleeves, you won't be able to replace it (or the cards). This comes up a lot for odd-sized cards but nowadays you can find just about any size sleeve you need. Here's an example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/50-types-siz...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done this for many games and the results are good. Once laminated the cards are immune to spills and wear. In fact you really see all the grease and other marks than would normally just soak into the card -- easily removed of course. Shuffling with laminated cards isn't more difficult but it is a bit different and you quickly get used to it.

I use card sleeves -- I wouldn't consider using larger sleeves and cutting them up. I've got an industrial card laminator that can happily take a thousand cards in a sitting.

The big downside is cost. The sleeves aren't very cheap. Then again games are insanely expensive here so it is still worthwhile for most.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you would scratch the laminent when shuffling. Sleeves can be replaced and sleeves resist scratching but on heavy shuffling even those scratch eventually. Some of the thinner player boards are probably fine to do though I prefer not to. I also think laminating cards would completely destroy the resale value of your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't do it!!!

like it was said before, you can replace scratched sleeves but not laminated cards

lots of ppl used to laminate their cards, but the resale value of games droped greatly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laminated a whole copy of Agricola as I had it in German, so I laminated all the card translations to the original cards between plastic.

The laminated cards are very thick (much thicker than sleeving, and won't fit box any more), and inflexible, and all slightly bowed due to the heat and curvature of rollers.

I wouldn't recommend doing it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
While I use lamination when making up my prototype cards, I would never, ever consider laminating actual game cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie Lemonde
Canada
St-Hyacinthe
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.dragonsnocturnes.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a self-adhesive protector for document.
I buy it at my local Staples stores.
It's a roll of self-adhesive plastic so you don't need to use laminator and the result is thinner.
You just have to put protector on the two side of the card and cut around the card once.
Not sure that the plastic protector offer a full protection against water (because the cut on the edge) but should gives me time to react. I use it to prevent loss of color and for protection against foods (chips, cookies).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verglas wrote:
I use a self-adhesive protector for document.
I buy it at my local Staples stores.
It's a roll of self-adhesive plastic so you don't need to use laminator and the result is thinner.
You just have to put protector on the two side of the card and cut around the card once.
Not sure that the plastic protector offer a full protection against water (because the cut on the edge) but should gives you time to react. I use it to prevent loss of color and for protection against foods (chips, cookies).
Over here, at least, that stuff is an order of magnitude more expensive than laminating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alain Baum
Luxembourg
Grevenmacher
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have laminated 4 games' cards for different reasons.

RoboRally, Lord of the Rings, Catan:
I laminated these because the cards saw heavy use just by the way the rules of these games are.

Magalon:
This once had an accident happen to it: A moderate amount of liquid spilled onto the board and cards. The cards were now wavy and recognizable. After lamination, the damage was much less noticeable. Since the game saw little use, I sold it on eBay.

Cons:
Lamination is unreversible.
The cards become stiffer.
You may have to cut the sleeves.

Pros:
You can cut the sleeves, instead of having to hunt for the right size "normal" sleeve.
Shuffling is way easier than with sleeved cards.
You could pour a liter of cola over the cards, without damage.

All methods (sleeving, laminating, doing nothing) have their advantages and disadvantages. The question is, what is most important to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
More than 20 years ago I laminated The Great Khan Game since the cards were thin cardboard. The cards are still great and usable today. My friend who also had the game, and both got played tons... His naked cards are trash and marked by extreme wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ani
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DON'T DO IT!!!!

Once you laminate you can't go back. The cards will be stiff and still show wear over time. I make cards for games in my classroom and even laminated, the kids wear out the cards. The laminate sleeves are expensive. You would have to be super careful to place each card perfectly in the sleeves so that they are all straight. It is not worth the headache. If you must, stick with regular sleeves. Or, you could copy each card on thick paper and laminate those. But that would be really expensive and not worth it imho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bull
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a trading card game for my scout group on an "escape from colditz" theme - complete tasks to earn goods cards and then other tasks to trade goods for more complex goods. It ended up being about 60% live role play and 40% board game.

I laminated all the cards since a group of teenagers are going to trash anything they get their hands on, so best put in place a reasonable level of protecttion but it made the cards difficult to shuffle, stack and store. It also made them very heavy and I can see them getting scratched really easily.

Worst of all was the cost - I ended up hand laminating and cutting nearly 1000 cards. They are never going to be as cheap as sleeves, I suspect that it would be easier to not worry about the cards in a commercial game and just use the money you save to replace the game if it gets trashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DukeOfEarl wrote:
Shuffling is way easier than with sleeved cards.
Depends on your sleeves. With cheap baggy 'penny' sleeves, quite possibly. With decent quality snug fitting sleeves, certainly not. Those you can shuffle more quickly, and almost certainly more efficiently by repeatedly squooshing two piles together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, thanks everyone for the great amount of discussion, input, and personal experiences .

I think for now I will hold off, though I may be curious enough to try it again in the future. I am above all other things, lazy and cheap . Laminating looks like it would cost me more than the super cheap Mayday sleeves I always use (which I've always been happy with btw, except for a few very heavy use games which I use better sleeves for) and are way easier to do.

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.