Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Agents of SMERSH» Forums » General

Subject: Grey D6? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I got through the rules tonight. Let me say I can't wait to play this game and the production is top notch.

That being said the rulebook is a train wreck. Lots of grammar errors and the flow is just......bad. I still have no idea what the 1 grey D6 is for. The Errata included talks about Dr. Lobo's card having the wrong colors but it has the wrong icons listed and the wrong colors. I mean I know what the right colors are and everything but before the second printing gets done someone needs to go back through that rulebook and redo the flow of the rules and the grammar problems (You always capitalize an I when it is alone lol ).

Please don't take me wrong again I am very excited and chomping at the bit to play this game I just wanted to bring up that before the second printing (which I have no doubt this will sell well enough for a second printing) the rulebook needs to be reworked.

Thanks again Jason the game does look like it will scratch an itch that Tales of the Arabian Nights just failed to do with me.

And if anyone can point me to the page that discusses the Grey die I would be grateful.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be nice if they uploaded an updated Dr. Lobo card so we can print out and laminate a replacement. Sounds serious since he's the main villain.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The grey die with yellow icons is always in play. It never goes into the draw bag, and you must always roll it. It contains 1 Success, 1 Injury, 1 Heal Injury and 3 Failures (Dr. Lobo's eye symbol). The Injury and Heal Injury sides are also considered failures, but players always receive the consequence (Heal or take an Injury) after all rerolls are made. The other dice have different ratios of success and failures. Become familiar with the different dice as you plot your strategy. The black icon die is best with 4 Successes, but it also has 1 side that gives 2 Injuries. Injuries from dice are received even if you pass the encounter. All other symbols are considered failures as far as it concerns Pass/Fail or Win/Lose. The Gun Symbol = Success.

Although you are not required to do so, you may draw as many dice as allowed from the bag, inspecting each as you draw them, as long as you have enough skill to draw them. For example, if your Test reads as SPYCRAFT +1 and your Base Skill of Spycraft is 0, you may draw 1 die from the bag. If you still don't like your chances, then you may spend a Resolve to add +1 and draw an additional die out of the bag. YOU MUST ROLL ALL DICE DRAWN, INCLUDING THE YELLOW DIE. In most cases, you may only spend max 1 Resolve per turn to manipulate dice.


Page 5, under Six Custom Dice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although you are not required to do so, you may draw as many dice as allowed from the bag, inspecting each as you draw them, as long as you have enough skill to draw them. For example, if your Test reads as SPYCRAFT +1 and your Base Skill of Spycraft is 0, you may draw 1 die from the bag. If you still don't like your chances, then you may spend a Resolve to add +1 and draw an additional die out of the bag. YOU MUST ROLL ALL DICE DRAWN, INCLUDING THE YELLOW DIE. In most cases, you may only spend max 1 Resolve per turn to manipulate dice.

So should that read "including the grey die"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertayk wrote:

So should that read "including the grey die"?


I think it is a typo that should be the grey die. Or rather, that is what I assumed from reading last night.

I only made it a couple of pages in but, yeah, the rulebook is a kind of a disaster.

My OCD also caught a few of formatting inconsistencies on the player cards and TWO people named Shadow.

Still, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Vertayk wrote:

So should that read "including the grey die"?


I think it is a typo that should be the grey die. Or rather, that is what I assumed from reading last night.

I only made it a couple of pages in but, yeah, the rulebook is a kind of a disaster.

My OCD also caught a few of formatting inconsistencies on the player cards and TWO people named Shadow.

Still, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened yet.


I HATE poorly written rulebooks. HATE them. yuk
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vertayk wrote:
Although you are not required to do so, you may draw as many dice as allowed from the bag, inspecting each as you draw them, as long as you have enough skill to draw them. For example, if your Test reads as SPYCRAFT +1 and your Base Skill of Spycraft is 0, you may draw 1 die from the bag. If you still don't like your chances, then you may spend a Resolve to add +1 and draw an additional die out of the bag. YOU MUST ROLL ALL DICE DRAWN, INCLUDING THE YELLOW DIE. In most cases, you may only spend max 1 Resolve per turn to manipulate dice.

So should that read "including the grey die"?


In bold Red the very first sentence explaining how to use the SIX CUSTOM DICE states: "The grey die with yellow icons is always in play." Except for the grey die with yellow icons, the only way you can distinguish between the dice is by the color of their icons, - so all other dice are only referred to by icon color and not base color. This was not a typo, although it could have been more clearly stated in this paragraph. But this was never confusing to the proofreaders and never brought up as an issue. Just keep in mind that all other dice are only distinct by the color of their icons and referred to by their icon color only.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason,

Since the only thing that matters is the color of the symbols, in subsequent printings, you may want to remove any mention of the "Grey die" (since its greyness has no relevance) and just refer to it as the "Yellow die".

Also, if proofreaders didn't catch this, you may want to find new proofreaders. Even at a glance, this was an obvious source of confusion.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Vertayk wrote:

So should that read "including the grey die"?


I think it is a typo that should be the grey die. Or rather, that is what I assumed from reading last night.

I only made it a couple of pages in but, yeah, the rulebook is a kind of a disaster.

My OCD also caught a few of formatting inconsistencies on the player cards and TWO people named Shadow.

Still, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened yet.


I HATE poorly written rulebooks. HATE them. yuk


Normally I'd agree but SMERSH is an indie publication in the true spirit of kickstarter (as I see it) that provided funding for the designer to self-publish.

So, I'm willing to overlook mistakes so that the product and designer can develop and improve.

I hope you will too. It really is quite a nice production all considered.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finn

CLACKAMAS
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:


I only made it a couple of pages in but, yeah, the rulebook is a kind of a disaster.



Weird, apparently his proof reader's mind and my mind work identically because I thought it was perfectly readable...looking forward to playing solo tonight!

Though I also would love to see a updated Dr. Lobo card.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
dkearns wrote:
Vertayk wrote:

So should that read "including the grey die"?


I think it is a typo that should be the grey die. Or rather, that is what I assumed from reading last night.

I only made it a couple of pages in but, yeah, the rulebook is a kind of a disaster.

My OCD also caught a few of formatting inconsistencies on the player cards and TWO people named Shadow.

Still, my enthusiasm hasn't been dampened yet.


I HATE poorly written rulebooks. HATE them. yuk


Normally I'd agree but SMERSH is an indie publication in the true spirit of kickstarter (as I see it) that provided funding for the designer to self-publish.

So, I'm willing to overlook mistakes so that the product and designer can develop and improve.

I hope you will too. It really is quite a nice production all considered.


Yes don't let that deter you. Given a bit of time and flipping back and forth and reading the whole game front to back the rules are actually easy but the layout is very bad.

And Am I the only one with a grey D6 with regular pips on it? I know what the "Yellow" die is for but there is a standard D6 in the bag with them. THAT is the D6 I am asking about and it appears I got a extra D6 nobody else has???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My comment was not meant to say that this one was. I have not had a chance to look at it. Mistakes happen. I'm not going to flip out over a typo. It just annoys me when something is so poorly written that it can't be overlooked.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TWO people named Shadow.


Hmm... in the encounter book there is a character called The Shadow - an assassin and master of disguise - who appears in several different encounters. If I remember correctly, one of the Kickstarter rewards was a character card for The Shadow so that you could play him (or, possibly, her - no one is really sure...) as a henchman (or henchwoman) of Dr Lobo, but it's meant to be the same character.

Has another 'Shadow' crept in there somewhere..?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And Am I the only one with a grey D6 with regular pips on it?


No, there should definitely be a standard d6 in there! It's used for selecting Ocean encounters (when you have an Ocean encounter, you roll the die to see which of the six different Ocean sets you use). There may be other uses as well, but I'm still waiting for my copy of the game... whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had no trouble understanding that the grey die was always used. It seemed pretty clear to me, and in addition there were game examples of a standard test which reinforced this as well.

What's wrong with the Dr. Lobo mat? I know about the icon colors being off, but are some of the symbols wrong too?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drb1004 wrote:
Quote:
TWO people named Shadow.


Hmm... in the encounter book there is a character called The Shadow - an assassin and master of disguise - who appears in several different encounters. If I remember correctly, one of the Kickstarter rewards was a character card for The Shadow so that you could play him (or, possibly, her - no one is really sure...) as a henchman (or henchwoman) of Dr Lobo, but it's meant to be the same character.

Has another 'Shadow' crept in there somewhere..?


Yeah, one of the character's codenames is Shadow.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hepcat1 wrote:
I had no trouble understanding that the grey die was always used. It seemed pretty clear to me, and in addition there were game examples of a standard test which reinforced this as well.

What's wrong with the Dr. Lobo mat? I know about the icon colors being off, but are some of the symbols wrong too?


The symbols are all correct. The error is very minor and does not impede play. For those you haven't gotten the game yet, the game comes with an errata sheet for the two glaring errors we found. One is... The Tech token on the mat is printed in red - instead of green - but it is still a Tech token. I wanted to point it out in case a person looks for a red token during the end game, not noticing it is a tech token that they need. I have a corrected Dr. Lobo mat in file format. I just need to upload it when I get a chance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
enditen wrote:
hepcat1 wrote:
I had no trouble understanding that the grey die was always used. It seemed pretty clear to me, and in addition there were game examples of a standard test which reinforced this as well.

What's wrong with the Dr. Lobo mat? I know about the icon colors being off, but are some of the symbols wrong too?


The symbols are all correct. The error is very minor and does not impede play. For those you haven't gotten the game yet, the game comes with an errata sheet for the two glaring errors we found. One is... The Tech token on the mat is printed in red - instead of green - but it is still a Tech token. I wanted to point it out in case a person looks for a red token during the end game, not noticing it is a tech token that they need. I have a corrected Dr. Lobo mat in file format. I just need to upload it when I get a chance.


The tech tokens on my Dr. Lobo ARE green the Double agents on my sheet are Red and should be Brown.

Edit:

Looks just like this


Tech are green but the Double Agent is red. Errata needs to be Erratad
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yeah, one of the character's codenames is Shadow.


The ultimate social embarrassment for a spy - you infiltrate the bad guy's hideout, only to find that someone else has come wearing exactly the same codename...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drb1004 wrote:
Quote:
And Am I the only one with a grey D6 with regular pips on it?


No, there should definitely be a standard d6 in there! It's used for selecting Ocean encounters (when you have an Ocean encounter, you roll the die to see which of the six different Ocean sets you use). There may be other uses as well, but I'm still waiting for my copy of the game... whistle


Ah yes roll a D6 for the Encounter Book. Thanks I was just staring at the die in confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:


The tech tokens on my Dr. Lobo ARE green the Double agents on my sheet are Red and should be Brown.


Just checked. Mine are the same way, Chris. As the icons are still correct, it's definitely what I would call a cosmetic issue. But still, heads up that the errata needs to be updated.

lordunborn wrote:


Ah yes roll a D6 for the Encounter Book. Thanks I was just staring at the die in confusion.


Don't feel bad. In my rush to play last night, I didn't make the connection between the status deck sitting right in front of me and statuses that came about due to encounters. So for the first 3 turns, I'm sitting there cursing the game for not explaining what "amnesiac" or "detained" meant in terms of the game...until I rechecked the rules and realized I was a moron. blush
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
drb1004 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, one of the character's codenames is Shadow.


The ultimate social embarrassment for a spy - you infiltrate the bad guy's hideout, only to find that someone else has come wearing exactly the same codename...


Awkward around the office too I imagine.

"And now, it is time to take out... THE SHADOW".
"Dude, I'm right here."
"Not you, the other Shadow"
"Wait, who?"
"The other Shadow, Shadow."
"Who's he?"
"Not sure, just 'The Shadow' I guess, never seen 'em, he's shadowy."
"More shadowy than me?"
"Um kinda, yeah."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JASON MAXWELL
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right it's the Double Agent and not the Tech Token. I will fix errata sheet.

Both The Shadow and Zyler, who is prone to disappear from time to time for several days without a trace (see his card), were the initial KS cards. The Shadow and other game characters are also written into the Book of Encounters - you can find out more if you just play the game. I am not sure what the confusion is, but The Director certainly has his suspicions.

Jason



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Finn

CLACKAMAS
Oregon
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
drb1004 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, one of the character's codenames is Shadow.


The ultimate social embarrassment for a spy - you infiltrate the bad guy's hideout, only to find that someone else has come wearing exactly the same codename...


Awkward around the office too I imagine.

"And now, it is time to take out... THE SHADOW".
"Dude, I'm right here."
"Not you, the other Shadow"
"Wait, who?"
"The other Shadow, Shadow."
"Who's he?"
"Not sure, just 'The Shadow' I guess, never seen 'em, he's shadowy."
"More shadowy than me?"
"Um kinda, yeah."


I'm going to bet your a blast to play a rpg with
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
Jason,

Since the only thing that matters is the color of the symbols, in subsequent printings, you may want to remove any mention of the "Grey die" (since its greyness has no relevance) and just refer to it as the "Yellow die".

Also, if proofreaders didn't catch this, you may want to find new proofreaders. Even at a glance, this was an obvious source of confusion.

I was one of the voluntary proofreaders, so you can blame me. I did notice the inconsistency of referring to the "grey die with yellow icons", whereas the rest of the manual simply refers to the "yellow die" or "black die", etc. The reason I didn't raise this to Jason as a potential issue is because the "yellow die" is the only die with a grey background, so I thought it was okay to emphasize this at the start of the section that explains the dice. I.e. since it's the only special die that never goes in the bag, I thought it was important to point out it has a different background color. That way players can easily remember to NOT put it in the bag.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.