Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Went to a Christmas cookie exchange/game day, cookies and games, what a good combo.

We had a large number of people, so rather than splitting D suggested we go with 7 wonders. I had never played before and I hadn't really checked it out here on the geek. So I knew nothing of it beyond that it was well regarded on the geek.

With the rules explained we got off to a full 7 player game. I went with a no military strat, feeding my neighbors some easy red points. Without really knowing how the game was played I arbitrarily decided to go with fine goods and science. I made a couple of mistakes in the last round, I had to sell a card I drafted as it was a duplicate, and then I did it again on science card, that set of 5 gears was just too temping. The player to my right ended up winning the game by about 10 points over the next closest.

I had missed a couple of rules in the first go, namely the fact that you could buy a prereq building and get the follow up building without resource requirements.

The second game I took a whole pile of yellow cards, hoping to get the end game card that gave victory for having yellows. I didn't get it, but it wouldn't have mattered, it would have been worth maybe 6 points total and not worth what I sacrificed for not going with a more balanced build. But that is the risk I take by adopting deviant builds like this.

The third game I decided to push military, and go balance otherwise. Cards didn't really break my way, and I ended up in the middle of the pack despite max military points.

Thoughts:

It is a bit shocking that a 7 player medium weight euro can be played so quickly. I can see why this game has good buzz.

The fact that players don't really interact deeply with other players, allows the game to play so quickly. It also isn't really a big plus for me. I would rarely draft a card out from under my neighbor, normally it was a better call to push my own agenda.

The game was pitched to me as an empire builder, but really I think the core mechanic you have to consider is more of a push your luck mechanism. You want to draft as few resources as possible without ham stringing your attempts to get scoring cards.

Despite the localized game experience, and not really interacting with the players on the far side of the table, 7w doesn't feel like multiplayer solitaire. You really do have consider your neighbors resources when drafting your own. the lack of direct player interaction gives the sensation that things the two random people beside you are doing influence your choices, but your own actions are extremely limited with how much you can change your neighbors plays.

I enjoyed this game, and while it would never be a favorite of mine, I really do appreciate the genius of its design that lets a game of this weight play so quickly and with so many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba W
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:

I enjoyed this game, and while it would never be a favorite of mine, I really do appreciate the genius of its design that lets a game of this weight play so quickly and with so many.

That's exactly what I thought after my first few plays.

15-20 plays later, it did become a favorite of mine

A feeling that was reinforced with the expansions. A full-yellow strategy is basically pointless with just the base game, but try it with Leaders, if you are lucky enough to draw Xenophon, Varro and Midas - it can give you 70+ points without any brown/gray cards built at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, we play this alot, we always have just enough time for a quick game and its so often this 7W, I don't own it but must say the more I play the more I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ptyx wrote:
Jpwoo wrote:

That's exactly what I thought after my first few plays.

15-20 plays later, it did become a favorite of mine

A feeling that was reinforced with the expansions. A full-yellow strategy is basically pointless with just the base game, but try it with Leaders, if you are lucky enough to draw Xenophon, Varro and Midas - it can give you 70+ points without any brown/gray cards built at all.

I agree here. I feel the expansions add more to the gameplay, especially with the leaders from both 7 Wonders: Cities and 7 Wonders: Leaders. The fact that you can draft and choose your hand of Leaders makes their addition more "controllable" (or not, since your opponents may deny you the cards you want. I know since I have done this to my opponents!) than the effect of the Black cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't play with leaders because we had new players cycling in every game. I think we did play with some of the alt societies like Catan or the one with a beer on it.

I would play it again, and if I do I will suggest leaders. But I don't think I would buy this for myself.

I have this penciled in as a 7 I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.