Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey H
United States
sa
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
There were 6 of us, we used the suggested assignments.

1) When resolving the actions, does order matter?
-- If the sensor officer gets a lock on a crystal, and the helm officer moves the ship through a nebula (rolls a 1) on the same turn, is that lock lost? Instead can you move the ship first and then gain the lock after you're past the nebula?

2) Is damage from enemy ships really that high?
-- on the first turn an enemy hit us with a six (+0) on an un-shielded side.. those six cards drawn on the starboard were rough.. did we do that right?

3) We gave our first core breach card to the tractor beam officer since he didn't have anything else to do during the action phase. Is this legal? Should he have resolved the core breach during the "tractor beam attempts" phase instead of the action phase since he doesn't normally do anything during the action phase?

4) Break Lock; If you're close to an enemy it's not too worthwhile to break a lock, right? Odds are they'll lock again, move towards and then attack you anyway. Just as if you didn't break the lock. Are we missing something here?

5) If an enemy ship attacks while in your space, do you roll for the hit location or can you pick the side?

We managed to win the first mission. Jumped away as core damaged reached 4 with the nemesis closing in. A close call ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Pit Crew avaialble now! The Expanse coming in October!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
snacknuts wrote:
There were 6 of us, we used the suggested assignments.

1) When resolving the actions, does order matter?
-- If the sensor officer gets a lock on a crystal, and the helm officer moves the ship through a nebula (rolls a 1) on the same turn, is that lock lost? Instead can you move the ship first and then gain the lock after you're past the nebula?

Yes, the order matters. Resolve the steps in the order shown on the Captain Display - Shield, Helm, Sensors. This is mentioned in the rules in the Step 4 explanation.

Since you do Helm before you do Sensors, a nebula can only cause you to lose a lock you had on the prior turn.

Quote:
2) Is damage from enemy ships really that high?
-- on the first turn an enemy hit us with a six (+0) on an un-shielded side.. those six cards drawn on the starboard were rough.. did we do that right?

You did it correctly.

Quote:
3) We gave our first core breach card to the tractor beam officer since he didn't have anything else to do during the action phase. Is this legal? Should he have resolved the core breach during the "tractor beam attempts" phase instead of the action phase since he doesn't normally do anything during the action phase?

You did this correctly. When you have six or four players Core Breach is slightly easier because you have an extra person. If you'd like to balance it a bit more you can start the Core Breach marker on the '3' space instead of zero for those player counts.

Quote:
4) Break Lock; If you're close to an enemy it's not too worthwhile to break a lock, right? Odds are they'll lock again, move towards and then attack you anyway. Just as if you didn't break the lock. Are we missing something here?

Correct. It is most useful when you are planning to put some distance between yourself and an enemy.

Quote:
5) If an enemy ship attacks while in your space, do you roll for the hit location or can you pick the side?

If they move into your space that turn, they hit the side they moved in from. If they start their action in the same space, roll for a random side.

Quote:
We managed to win the first mission. Jumped away as core damaged reached 4 with the nemesis closing in. A close call

Congrats! That's an achievement on your first play!

Geff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snacknuts wrote:

We managed to win the first mission. Jumped away as core damaged reached 4 with the nemesis closing in. A close call

You can't use the jump drive to jump away during a core breach. I think it says that under the core breach rules and symbols on the jump station card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you can still try and jump, it's just you can't use extra energy for rerolls or more time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
You can't use the jump drive to jump away during a core breach. I think it says that under the core breach rules and symbols on the jump station card.

If it was so, then once the core has been breached the mission will be over.

Actually, you can't expend energy during a core breach.
Usually you can expend an energy unit for extending the time by 30 seconds or re-rolling all of some of your dice.
During a core breach you must jump using only your first roll, all jump card earned so far and only 30 seconds.

Notice that you still have to assign at least one energy to the jump drive in order to attempt it, but you cannot expended that unit if the core is damaged.

Edit: canceled wrong statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
taraba wrote:

If it was so, then once the core has been breached the mission will be over.

Actually, you can't expend energy during a core breach.
Usually you can expend an energy unit for extending the time by 30 seconds or re-rolling all of some of your dice.
During a core breach you must jump using only your first roll, all jump card earned so far and only 30 seconds.

Notice that you still have to assign at least one energy to the jump drive in order to attempt it, but you cannot expended that unit if the core is damaged.

You can still win in that scenario. After you repair the core breach it wouldn't be breached and then you can jump. Core breach only lasts one turn and then either you fix it or you blow up.

OK. It might be that you can't spend energy and I'm remembering it wrong. I need to re-read the rules anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
You can still win in that scenario. After you repair the core breach it wouldn't be breached and then you can jump. Core breach only lasts one turn and then either you fix it or you blow up.

[...]

Oh yeah! You are right: between Phase 3 (after having fixed a breach) and Phase 8 (Jump) damage may occur again and re-open the breach. I was messing up the turn sequence in my mind.

I just checked the rules and I confirm that you can try a jump even with your core exposed and gamma rays seeping all over the floor; it is only harder to accomplish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you already had an energy assigned, then you can attempt it, just without the use of any of the energy that was assigned (no energy-powered rerolls or time extension).

We won our very first game this way, it was super exciting!

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:
I just checked the rules and I confirm that you can try a jump even with your core exposed and gamma rays seeping all over the floor; it is only harder to accomplish.

More thematically correct is that with how quickly the JDO was able to prepare for jump he used the extra time and energy to perform a patchwork emergency repair of the core breach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.