Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any reason to not ALWAYS commit the Peaceful Dragon to an open quest the first time you draw him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give him to another player in your space.devil

It also takes up one of the slots you can commit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
what if you like tea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:

Ok. Just making sure I understood the implications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
Is there any reason to not ALWAYS commit the Peaceful Dragon to an open quest the first time you draw him?

zayzayem wrote:

Greg's question is exactly what I was wondering after our first couple of games.

You could hang on to your Peaceful Dragon in the hope that you can unload it on an opponent, but that's only allowed if you have actively moved to that region on this turn, and it's hardly worth keeping it in hand in the off chance you can do that on your next turn.

As for it taking up one of the slots you can commit to, I don't see how that is a problem. As a free action on your turn, you can withdraw and discard previously committed cards anyway. The example at the bottom of the yellow side bar on page 10 in the rule-book illustrates this nicely. So your Peaceful Dragon can nicely stay out of your way, quietly drinking tea unnoticed under your Quest token, and if you really need that slot to commit a fifth card that's actually useful, then send him (and his tea) to your discard pile.

So it seems to me that the original poster's initial point is essentially valid. His argument is even strengthened by the fact that a Peaceful Dragon hidden in this way can fool your opponents into thinking that you're closer to finishing an Open Quest than what you really are.

In conclusion, could the strategic advice that we can take from this be be rephrased as follows: "When you have a Peaceful Dragon in hand, the best move is always to commit it face down beneath your Quest token. Two exceptions to this are (a) if you already have committed five necessary cards beneath your Quest token; or (b) if you are ending that turn having moved into the same Region as an opponent, and thus entitled to discard the Peaceful Dragon to an opponent's discard pile."

If true, then this does mean that these tea-loving dragons are somewhat less of a nuisance than I initially thought, at least if handled correctly. Or am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alf Seegert
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
If true, then this does mean that these tea-loving dragons are somewhat less of a nuisance than I initially thought, at least if handled correctly. Or am I missing something?

In our plays, it often depends on the frequency of the Wand cards (Enchantress/Fairy cards). If they aren't needed for Open Quests, then it's tempting to acquire them simply to smack down your opponent with a bunch of summoned Peaceful Dragons and fill up their 5-card Quest card reserve with tea and biscuits. Rarely do I see players just accept that -- they start getting annoyed and Peaceful Dragons get handed back and forth pretty regularly. With feeling. Some games will have 7 or more Peaceful Dragons in play.

For this reason -- along with Witches (for flight) -- Enchantresses are my favorite Creatures to acquire, simply for the pleasure of making my opponents groan with tea dragon-induced frustration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our games folks get pretty ruthless with the Peaceful Dragons when they can, enough so that I kind of want to play with you folks who just bury the card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfseegert wrote:
Rarely do I see players just accept that -- they start getting annoyed and Peaceful Dragons get handed back and forth pretty regularly. With feeling. Some games will have 7 or more Peaceful Dragons in play.

Really? One way of accomplishing that is to end movement in the same region as an opponent while having a Peaceful Dragon in your hand, and the Bitter Brew artifact achieves something similar. But those are the only ways to hand them back and forth, right? Although as you point out, the Enchantress will help you get new Peaceful Dragons into your opponent's deck.

More tea, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
alfseegert wrote:
Rarely do I see players just accept that -- they start getting annoyed and Peaceful Dragons get handed back and forth pretty regularly. With feeling. Some games will have 7 or more Peaceful Dragons in play.

Really? One way of accomplishing that is to end movement in the same region as an opponent while having a Peaceful Dragon in your hand, and the Bitter Brew artifact achieves something similar. But those are the only ways to hand them back and forth, right? Although as you point out, the Enchantress will help you get new Peaceful Dragons into your opponent's deck.

More tea, anyone?

If you play with the Events expansion, one of the event types has players pass one card from their hand to the player on their left. So there's one more way for Peaceful Dragons to move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, we ran out of Peaceful Dragons. Lots of Enchantressing,I suppose.

We didn't quite know what to do.

I should also point out that a few Dragons had already been removed from the game by Visiting a Statue. So we were left wondering whether those removed (a.k.a. trashed) Dragons would constitute additional cards that could be brought back into play if the Peaceful Dragons deck was empty....

I'm assuming we're not the only playgroup to face this question -- curious how others handle this. --David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
In our first game, we ran out of Peaceful Dragons. Lots of Enchantressing,I suppose.

We didn't quite know what to do.

I should also point out that a few Dragons had already been removed from the game by Visiting a Statue.

From page 8 of the rulebook: "You may never release a Peaceful Dragon. Unfortunately for you, Peaceful Dragons are loyal and refuse to leave your side!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dustin -- oops!

blush

Thank you!

--David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
You could hang on to your Peaceful Dragon in the hope that you can unload it on an opponent, but that's only allowed if you have actively moved to that region on this turn, and it's hardly worth keeping it in hand in the off chance you can do that on your next turn.

It's worth mentioning that under the new rules (published in the Rucksack edition), it is no longer a requirement to have moved on your turn in order to place a card into the discard pile of your opponent. You may now "bestow" a card to your opponent as long as you end your turn in the same Region as him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura "lelo" D. Arrowsmith Deddens Gerard
United States
Pearland (near Houston)
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody come up with the answer to the question about what to do if you run out of Peaceful Dragons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.