Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried it once so far.

I played solo with three gods chose at random. Also, I removed three random base enemy cards and added three random angry enemy/ragnarok card to the enemy deck.

Gods were (if I remember correctly) Njord, Frey and Tyr.

I can't remember the details, but I found that the additional options add a lot of fun for my taste. Even with Tyr and Frey (two of the best gods of the base game) I managed to lose

I used Njord mostly on his non-trance side, Tyr on his trance side and I alternated Frey the most because of the Sacred Land cumulative bonus is tasty.

God's abilities and trance interactions are fun to play. However, keep in mind that entering or exiting trance costs an action. I lost the moment an angry Fenrir passed from a safe zone to just beyond the second threshold (the one that make you lose if 3 enemies surpasses it) on Tyr's turn.

Tyr was on his trance side, with no viking nor elves and with a raging Fenrir to be tamed and pushed back.
I had to take an action to tame Fenrir (as usual) and succeeded.
Another action to revert to the non-trance side (when a god is in trance he cannot battle in Asgard).
Fighting was an automatic failure because I couldn't win not even with a 3 on the battle die.

In short, the presence of trance powers provides a new layer that probably doesn't make your life easier when playing with few gods, but it should address the increased difficulty of games with a larger number of players.

Oh! And remember: there is also the Hel's errata.
When Hel's power activates, you take vikings (1/2/3) from a random bag and remove them from the game entirely (they don't go to Helheim anymore).
It didn't bother me much, but it probably starts becoming an issue with more players.

Edit: Typos and other typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a 3 player game with : Magni, Vidar and Thor.

The trance powers are a good addition to the game. It adds another decision and timing element to the game. I used it a lot on Vidar to get the vikings from the underworld. Magni used his trance power one or two times. Thor's trancepower was not used.

We didn't find that the new Hell rule made it more difficult, but as the poster above me says, perhaps it gets more difficult with more then 3. Also it's good that Hell gets this new rule because she's not frightening in the base game.

We won the game easily. The only thing that we felt was wrong, was the power of Vidar. It's not very useful. So we changed it past midgame when it was clear we were on a roll to win the game to :

When Vidar is in possession of two elves he can discard an elf for +2, when in possession of 3 elves he can discard an elf for +3. It's feels like he is gathering an elf army which is cool too.

Magni felt very powerful. He managed the bags almost on his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to write a review....but clearly haven't done it yet, since I still want to get a game in with Sif, the only deity I haven't played yet. However....

.....The expansion does succeed in doing what it intended to do, which is make the game easier for games with four to six players. Having said that, I have yet to win a four to six player game with the expansion! The funny thing is, while playing with that many players, it actually feels like the game is much easier....and then defeat falls on you very, very quickly. I was quite surprised about that; and surprised by our losses!

Depending on which deity you're playing with, a one god game can seem way too easy.

Zorzogoth wrote:
The only thing that we felt was wrong, was the power of Vidar. It's not very useful.

At his basic strength, I agree: Vidar isn't all that useful. But his trance power is HUGE! In a multi-player game, make sure all the players (except Vidar) are picking up the available elves. Then, when Alfheim (the elf world) is empty and the enemies are starting to cause major problems, have Vidar go into a trance....and stay there!!! Cashing in one Elf for FOUR Vikings is extremely powerful! Njord's pretty spiffy, too.

Zorzogoth wrote:
Magni felt very powerful. He managed the bags almost on his own.

Interesting. We've found him to be fairly weak, almost as weak as Heimdall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

Oh! And remember: there is also the Hel's errata.
When Hel's power activates, you take vikings (1/2/3) from a random bag and remove them from the game entirely (they don't go to Helheim anymore).
It doesn't bothered me much, but it probably starts becoming an issue with more players.

This is awesome. I didn't realize this was in the rules for the expansion (I haven't bought it yet). I've been playing with that as a house rule since the 2nd time I played the original game.

It makes it so Hel doesn't "help" you, and you can't just let her run rampant anymore. Awesome that this was modified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.