Glory to Rome» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Proper Game - how we laughed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I picked up the Black Box on impulse in my FLGS. I was looking for a compact game to take on holiday with me and was standing there with RfTG and San Juan in my hands, when this caught my eye. I'd seen many posts all over the place saying that GtR was a good or better alternative, and the slick Black Box packaging sealed the deal.

My (less enthusiastic about games) wife and I have now played three times. The first game we ignored the building's abilities (as suggested in the rules), just to get the hang of the mechanics. The second time, we just built buildings at random and I won narrowly with the merchant bonus cards.

The third time, we had a blast. There was more thinking and we started to get the hang of it, but because we don't know the buildings yet and are discovering the nuances of the game, there were lots of surprises and laughs.

My wife starting building the Forum Romanum, which panicked me slightly, but as soon as she built it, I used the Scriptorium's abilities to finish the Prison with one marble and steal it off her (thunderous look). Then she built the stairway, and then made the Forum Romanum available to both of us.

'Ha ha!', we laughed, 'a race to complete the set of materials and clientele to win!'. We both needed stone and a merchant, neither of which were in the stockpile.

BUT because we are novices we didn't foresee how this was going to turn out...

We both legionaried stone out of each other's hands to complete the set of materials, but then suddenly realised that whoever plays a merchant to get one in the stockpile gifts the victory to the other who would only need to lead a patron to win on their next go....

So we both ignored the Forum Romanum objective and enagaged busily in building up influence points before one of the other game ends triggered, but neither of us could play merchants to put materials into the vault for the extra points. Both our vaults were empty!

So, I thought - AHA! I will simply petition for a merchant or use jacks, so no merchant goes into the stockpile, and pick up all the merchant bonus points. I did this for a few turns sniggering to myself, ready to take the last town-centre site to trigger the end of the game.

But doing this for the third time, my wife started laughing like a drain.

She had of course realised that she could follow my petitioned merchant with a merchant card, get it in the pool and simply pick it up and put it in her clientele on her next go. DOH! Victory to my wife, with me banging my head on the table with lots of laughter.

So, after our first proper game, what do we think of it?

-We didn't realise that it was quite such a funny game to play, so that's welcome.
-I think it is a very intriguing game and can't wait to play it more and explore the strategies.
-My wife who was really unsure of it the first two plays, really took to it this time. She is basically a non-gamer - she has her game (Agricola) and would basically be happy playing that forever (and beating me every single time), so that's good.
- I learned the hard way about the importance of turn order and what goes into the pool
- I am looking forward to learning the buildings and how frequently they come up (I don't have a Scooby at the moment what's in the deck), and I think this will add an extra brilliant dimension to the game, once we both have this better picture.
- We play games with other members of the family, but I think this goes beyond what might be of interest to very casual gamers.

Will it become a regular on our two player gaming table, and eat into the 'market share' Agricola has of game nights? I don't know, perhaps. I would like it to, but we will have to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great report!

My wife is also a non-gamer and she'd also be happy playing Agricola forever (but then again, so would I at the moment. Excellent game)

I've played GtR a few times with friends and it always felt a bit overwhelming due to all the different cards and all the different things they can do. I do see how this game is brilliant and rewards repeated play and I plan on getting it into the rotation sooner or later.

Having said that, I did play Innovation one time with my wife. Innovation's one of my favorite games, btw, and I've played it quite a few times, but only once with my wife. It's by the same designer as GtR and definitely has similarities, but it's a different game altogether. I recommend you try that one and if you find it to your liking, bring it home to the wife.

Back on topic, I've gotta get my cartoonish copy of GtR played more! I love that I own the cartoonish version, just because one day I'd like to pull it out at a meetup when a guy goes "awww, I want to play that but they've already started" and I swipe in like a superhero "Never fear!" And Mr. Eurogamer has to swallow his pride and play my silly looking but otherwise identical playing version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great session report! I am hoping for this game to become a part of my rotation soon. I've had it for several months, but have yet to get it to the table.

My girlfriend loves Agricola like yours, I hope she will like GtR as much as yours did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Great report!

My wife is also a non-gamer and she'd also be happy playing Agricola forever (but then again, so would I at the moment. Excellent game)

I've played GtR a few times with friends and it always felt a bit overwhelming due to all the different cards and all the different things they can do. I do see how this game is brilliant and rewards repeated play and I plan on getting it into the rotation sooner or later.

Having said that, I did play Innovation one time with my wife. Innovation's one of my favorite games, btw, and I've played it quite a few times, but only once with my wife. It's by the same designer as GtR and definitely has similarities, but it's a different game altogether. I recommend you try that one and if you find it to your liking, bring it home to the wife.

Back on topic, I've gotta get my cartoonish copy of GtR played more! I love that I own the cartoonish version, just because one day I'd like to pull it out at a meetup when a guy goes "awww, I want to play that but they've already started" and I swipe in like a superhero "Never fear!" And Mr. Eurogamer has to swallow his pride and play my silly looking but otherwise identical playing version

I find the art of the GtR IV edition hilarious, even if the gameplay isn't cartoony. I too should bring it out more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth noting that the things you were building are not easy to build, but I guess since it was just you two, you had enough time to spend on building them.

There is a need to "control the pool" in this game, which may not be clear at first. It was interesting reading this session, and kind of shows how games can be unusual and amusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fish face
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick follow on from my original session report. We have played another five or so times. My wife has got really cross with me on two occasions now - once when I took the last foundation to trigger the end game when I new I was in a winning position, and a classic last night when she got really mad at me.

Essentially she had built an 'engine' which allowed her to hoover cards into her stockpile, then hoover them into her vault. Any time I would have played merchant myself, she would have been able to follow put many more cards in my vault. She was obviously in a winning position and enjoying herself enormously.

So the Forum Romanum came into my hand just in time. A quick few legionaries to get the necessary materials in my vault, and as I already had the Gate in play, I only had to lay the foundation for the Forum to trigger the effect of the card and win the game.

Boy was she mad! She insisted that she had won fair and square and called the game stupid that I could just end the game and win like that! I pointed out that she could have won had she taken the last foundations and triggered game end, and that is part of the game, but that didn't go down too well! It totally reduced me to a fit of giggles, arf.

This game is quite ruthless, but I'm not sure it will hit the table with my wife again, or at least for a little while...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.