Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi to all. I have a question sparked during our last session. I'll explain it with the specific scenario.

. A B C D
1 +---+---+---+
| A | | | A & B: heroes
2 +---+---+---+ Z: Zachareth
| B | | | W: Ice Wurm
3 +---+---+---+
| Z | |
4 +---+---+
| W | W |
5 +---+---+
| W | W |
6 +---+---+
| W | W |
7 +---+---+

I have two heroes (A & B) guarding a door that Baron Zachareth needs to open. The Overlord has brought his pet Ice Wurm (a large creature with Reach).

Question is: "Is the wurm able to attack hero B?"

The wurm is 2 squares away from B (counting from his top-left square either of his two front squares).
The wurm has line of sight to B (we can trace an uninterrupted line from D4 to B2).

However, it seems counter-intuitive to count distance from a square and line of sight from another.
However, one of the hero players states that counting distance along the line of sight D4-B2, hero B falls three squares away (out of reach). Counting it on C4-B3 then the distance would be 2 squares, but Zachareth is on the way, so the wurm cannot attack from there.

Reach (for reference) wrote:

The Reach keyword allows the figure to use a Melee attack to target a figure up to two spaces away, rather than only adjacent spaces. The target still needs to be in line of sight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dale
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strictly speaking the distance is 2 from either of the front squares of the W monster. So the question is more a case of whether LOS can be drawn between those two squares given it cuts across C3. The rulebook (pg12) shows an example of LOS cutting through a corner of a blocked space so I would say yes the reach attack is ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewmdale wrote:
Strictly speaking the distance is 2 from either of the front squares of the W monster.

Oh! Yeah! You are right.

I'm going to edit the original post to provide the point of view that one of the hero players provided, because that is the real focus of the question (that I previously left unexpressed in order to not biasing the answers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the Wurm's got LoS and the hero's within 2 ... so it's lunchtime for Mr Icey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I re-elaborated about line of sight and distance after Buggers post.

I finally found the error in my fellow player's way of thinking.

Distance is counted in squares, and line of sight is traced from corner to corner.
They are loosely related, and the count of squares crossed by the line of sight may be equal to the distance or equal to the distance +1 (depending on how you trace it).

The statement: "the line of site crosses two squares, so your target is 3 squares away" is, generally speaking, wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Counting Spaces, page 13 wrote:
Some abilities require players to count the spaces from a figure to the target of the ability. When counting spaces for attacks and abilities, players ignore any non-obstacle terrain in those spaces (see “Terrain” on page 18). The player just needs to verify that his target is in range for the ability to reach the target. If an ability affects figures within a specified number of spaces, line of sight is not needed unless specifically noted. However, when counting spaces for an ability, players cannot count spaces through a door because the spaces are not considered adjacent.

There are two requirements: LOS & range. Counting spaces is only obstructed by obstacle terrain (and walls & doors), not by figures, so you can count through Baron Z. Figures do affect LOS -- if one was standing next to Z, the Reach attack would be blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Triu wrote:
Counting Spaces, page 13 wrote:
Some abilities require players to count the spaces from a figure to the target of the ability. When counting spaces for attacks and abilities, players ignore any non-obstacle terrain in those spaces (see “Terrain” on page 18). The player just needs to verify that his target is in range for the ability to reach the target. If an ability affects figures within a specified number of spaces, line of sight is not needed unless specifically noted. However, when counting spaces for an ability, players cannot count spaces through a door because the spaces are not considered adjacent.

There are two requirements: LOS & range. Counting spaces is only obstructed by obstacle terrain (and walls & doors), not by figures, so you can count through Baron Z. Figures do affect LOS -- if one was standing next to Z, the Reach attack would be blocked.

The exact explanation I just gave via email to my friend

Thank you all for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.