Subject: Turn order... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
François Lacerte
Canada
Montréal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No matter how balance are the armies, it seems too much powerfull, for that kind of wargame, that one side as a chance of playing 6 turns in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the only side that can do that is the British. The most the American side can do is 4 turns in a row.

It can be very powerful indeed but in my experience of about a dozen games, is very rare. I've not seen it happen so not sure there is a need to 'fix' something that can happen only rarely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most I've seen is 4 turns in a row. And getting all your turns in a row at the beginning of the round can be detrimental, as your opponent will get multiple turns in a row at the end and might be able to end the game on their turns.

There is a lot of skill involved in this game, but there is quite a bit of luck too - there are plenty of dice rolls, and the turn selection mechanic as well. But it's a short game, so if you feel that luck decided the winner (something I've never heard someone say in my games of 1812), just start up a new game - for a wargame it plays awfully fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
I may have my math wrong, but it looks to me to be one chance in ten, squared, or one in a hundred, of this occurring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had 5 turns in a row as the British (end of rounds 1 / start of round 2). The probability of the British side getting consecutive turns is higher for the first two rounds since the US Regulars always go first in round 1. If the US Militia happens to go second (25% of the time), then LOOK OUT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
the US Regulars always go first in round 1.

Can't believe I never noticed that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 8 times, and I haven't kept track but I've seen somebody get at least 3 in a row in most of them; we've seen 4 in a row more than once. As iNano78 said, the U.S. automatically goes first, so it's a 25% chance that the Brits will get 3 in a row on turn 1, and if that happens it's 60-40 that the streak will continue into turn 2. My buddy djarv started a thread to examine the odds of this happening, but it turned ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Historically in the opening moves Brock completely outmanoeuvred the Americans. It was pretty much the equivalent of drawing three cubes in a row. So there you go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.