Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

For those of you going to the World Boardgaming Championships (WBC) in Lancaster, PA this coming August we hope to see you there!

We are currently on the ballot to have Warparty as a trial event (tournament).

If you are planning to go to WBC, you can vote for Warparty and many others when you register for WBC.

Below is the registration and voting link.
Hope to see you there!

http://www.boardgamers.org/forms/MemberForm.shtml

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
[snark]If the game ever arrives, I could practice my strategies and hone my War Party gaming skills.[/snark]devil

Seriously, though I'm eagerly anticipating delivery of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lol, I know, right?!

I was thinking that atleast this post might serve to dismiss the notion that Warparty is really just a figment of our imagination and that it is real and it will is being produced (right now). I know there was a post about 6 months ago from someone that didn't think it was real. I can't say I entirely blame them for that.

Anyhow, as soon as I hear it is being shipped from China, I will let everyone know. I think the date was supposed to be 12/17, which means based on our past history, 1/17. I know I should not joke like that, but I've nearly become numb to the set backs.

According to Mark he expects that some folks will actually have Warparty in their hands in late January, many others in early February as he ships.

All I can say, is we should definitely have it well before WBC and if it is not physically available by 3/15 they will take it off the WBC ballot, not that expect that to be an issue at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry, I want to commend you and your team for keeping your backers informed. You have done a great job of managing the delays to the best of everyone's abilities.

I've purchased printed packaging and know the tireless hours it takes to get it right. Complicating things further is dealing with China. Time differences, language barriers, quality concerns, etc all just compound the matter even further.

I know how hard you are working, keep up the good job. I hope the container gets shipped before Chinese new year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely back Warparty at WBC. I go almost every year and I think it would be a great addition.

As an aside, in regards to to all these production/shipment delays, I don't know if it is really worth producing a game in China to save a couple of bucks if it is going to take 1 1/4 years to get it developed out of China. I wonder if there is a way to definitively state the cost/quality/production time differences among manufacturing in China versus USA versus Europe. It seems today everything is going to China because its "cheaper" but as a consumer I wish I had a choice of products with some real information e.g.

Option A - produce in China for low cost, acceptable quality (not low quality, I know the Chinese factories turn out some decent stuff), long development/shipping times
Option B - produce in USA for medium/high cost, medium quality, short development/shipping times
Option C - produce in Europe for medium/high cost, high quality, medium development/shipping times

Now I understand that I likely haven't gotten the elements cost/quality/production times in the right ratios for my hypothetical game but my point is that cost seems to be the only factor considered right now. Not quality, nor turn-around time, nor trade balance, nor even environmental impact but lowest cost with acceptable quality.

Just a thought.

I know you don't control those things Larry and I appreciate your efforts to get this out as soon as it can be all those other things that are out of your control considered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg,
Those are great questions and you are right, not for me to answer. It would certainly be something that LNL might answer if asked of them directly.

Hope to see you at WBC again this year!
Be sure to vote for Warparty as a trial event if/when you register. It's right on the WBC registration page (and you can vote for multiple events, so I'm not asking anyone for their one and only vote).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Voting ends Dec 31st and as of right now we don't have enough votes to make Warparty a trial event at WBC.

If you would like to see it as a trial event and you plan to register for WBC please register for WBC and vote before 12/31!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gberry wrote:
As an aside, in regards to to all these production/shipment delays, I don't know if it is really worth producing a game in China to save a couple of bucks if it is going to take 1 1/4 years to get it developed out of China.
I think your estimate is off slightly, I recall that much of the artwork was still in development when the KS was funded Dec 2, 2011. In fact, KS Update #31 states that the art files had been sent to the printer. There's nine (9) months of time that had nothing to do with the printer or producing a game in China.

The printer had proofs Mark's hands a mere eight (8) weeks later and the entire job completed by 12/17. (They did meet that deadline, right?) Finally, 5-8 weeks for transport and the games arrive in a US port.

From my personal experience, working with commercial packaging outside the gaming industry, that is par for the course and well within the norm of what one can expect. Be sure to account for Chinese New Year, that can foul your schedule by four (4) weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Bogucki
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain is pretty much right on the money here. They delays were mostly do to a back log of games at the publisher from the onset and a switch half way through the project of layout artists (note we had the actual art done or 99% of it, but laying it out is a different process). The delay with the lay out artists hurt us quite a bit. Also to note, that when Gabriel came on board, he went gangbusters with us and was fantastic, but there was a delay in before he was on board.
Lastly, this is the single largest project that LNL has ever done, so I think initial estimates were off because of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.