CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have decided it might be time to get a dog. Before I was married, I had a Basenji which I talked about here. Of course Basenji's are a bit skittish and he bit my wife after she moved in several times, so now he lives with my mom. We still love him, but he was a dog who needed good singular attention, and my mother has given him that.

So now we have kids and we know a Basenji is out of the question. Now we are looking for a suitable dog for the family.

My two favorite dogs are Boxers and Blue Heelers.

Boxers I hear a lot of good things about with kids. Heelers are a very loyal breed, but they also are a working dog.

My question is, what are your experiences with different breeds with kids?

We will probably get a rescue dog as long as it's really young, or a puppy. We may even get a mutt, but mutts still have elements of their breed, so the question is still relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Lookig at getting a dog, with kids, opinions sought.
As you say, heelers are a working dog and need plenty of exercise.
Also, they're called "heelers" for good reason - nipping at the heels is how a small dog is able to control cattle. They do bite at heels/ankles, and they do tend to sneak up behind and not confront head-on. All perfectly reasonable for the work they're bred for but not so much fun for the family.

...and the only boxer I've had much contact with is the stupidest creature I've ever encountered. I don't know if that's a breed trait or if he just got dropped on his head as a pup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Also, they're called "heelers" for good reason - nipping at the heels is how a small dog is able to control cattle. They do bite at heels/ankles, and they do tend to sneak up behind and not confront head-on. All perfectly reasonable for the work they're bred for but not so much fun for the family.

With a wild three year old, that might be a plus. You ever try and herd two toddlers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:

With a wild three year old, that might be a plus. You ever try and heard two toddlers?
A friend of mine had a kelpie that would let the chickens out of the coop and let them scatter around the yard just so she could round them up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talk to the folks at the shelter. Besides breed characteristics you need to consider the individual dog's personality. The staff at most shelters will be able to match your family to a dog that will work well within your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The heeler is probably a no go with little ones, maybe later in life.. While I was raised with a blue heeler, it was also on a cattle ranch. Man could that dog do wonders with cattle. Off the clock he was just the best dog, loving, loyal, and long lived.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cooler king wrote:
Talk to the folks at the shelter. Besides breed characteristics you need to consider the individual dog's personality. The staff at most shelters will be able to match your family to a dog that will work well within your situation.

Truthfully, I would prefer getting a puppy. I would like them to grow up together, and establish those bonds from the beginning. I know there is the whole argument of there are so many needy dogs in shelters, and that is true, but I still would like a puppy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
My sister-in-law has a labradoodle and it's the best dog I've ever been around. It's not, by any means, a foo-foo dog. It's got the disposition of the lab but taller, leaner, and the hypo-allergenic aspects of the standard poodle. A tall, sturdy, dog.

But, then I like Boxers and Vizslas too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
... and he bit my wife after she moved in several times...
Your wife moved in several times??

The best dogs I've had have been heeler mixes. We have Corgis now, and they're pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
... and he bit my wife after she moved in several times...
Your wife moved in several times??

She was getting bit by a dog. It took a while to convince her to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
We have Corgis now, and they're pretty cool.

I like Corgi's, but my wife doesn't like the "squat" looking dogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Yesterday I saw Lucy in the backyard eating her own shit (again). About an hour later, back in the house (after washing her muddy(!?) paws in the tub) she chucked it all back up on the carpet.

So if you see a dog like this:

Don't be fooled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered a Border Collie? I had one when I was a child and they are smart, loyal and really great with kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
Have you considered a Border Collie? I had one when I was a child and they are smart, loyal and really great with kids.

I like Border Collies, that is certainly and option. Aren't they work dogs like Heelers though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Border Collies are supposed to generally be lovely with kids.

We had a black labrador while I was a kid. Loved that dog and she was always great with us. Labs need a run around though cos they're traditionally gun dogs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
I have a friend that has a great dane and he has a small girl. The dog is great with her, plus she can ride oh his back like a steed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Kafka wrote:

I like Border Collies, that is certainly and option. Aren't they work dogs like Heelers though?

They are but they are much less aggressive with humans. I have been around a lot of Border Collies (mine plus I had an uncle who had a huge ranch near Ruidoso, NM and he always had between three and ten BCs running around and I never saw one act aggressively toward a kid.. They herded the cattle and sheep like pros but they are not nippers like heelers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KSensei wrote:
I have a friend that has a great dane and he has a small girl. The dog is great with her, plus she can ride oh his back like a steed.

This is my sisters horse, er, I mean Dane. It's a loving dog, loves the kids, but it's too damned big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:

They are but they are much less aggressive with humans. I have been around a lot of Border Collies (mine plus I had an uncle who had a huge ranch near Ruidoso, NM and he always had between three and ten BCs running around and I never saw one act aggressively toward a kid.. They herded the cattle and sheep like pros but they are not nippers like heelers.

That is good to know. Definitely going on the short list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Kafka wrote:

That is good to know. Definitely going on the short list.

We had a BC for a short period of time while I was a kid. After it chewed up shoe after shoe, destroyed my dad's watch (took it from his nightstand), and destroyed/nearly-chewed-off the legs on two end tables, he went to live on a friend's farm where it was much happier. When we'd visit I'd run around in the woods with him and ol' Rascal was MUCH happier.

Keep in mind, we were not very good at walking him and sucked at getting him outside where he could be himself. It was our fault that we weren't providing him the right environment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a kid who was afraid of dogs, the only breed I ever really got along with were Huskies. Both my Godparents and my neighbors had them, and they were the only dogs I experienced who were a little more laid back, even at playtime.

Now that I'm older, I also enjoy the company of Labs, but the young ones are still a bit jumpy for my tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrannan wrote:
As a kid who was afraid of dogs, the only breed I ever really got along with were Huskies.

Huskies are beautiful, but you have to remember, I live in Austin Texas. The hell fire pit of towns. I don't think it'd be a happy dog with over a hundred days of 100F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up with German Sheppard / Golden retriever mixes. Good and smart dogs, but on the bigger size so they needed space. Growing up on a farm that was fine for them. When my son was growing up we had a Chow, a great dog, good with kids, but chewed on everything (even the back corner of the house!). Right now my wife has a Shih tzu, nice dogs, bread to be lap dogs so they’re very loving. My sister got a Cockapoo when her kids were little. Those have an unfortunate name, but are very smart and excellent with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
abrannan wrote:
As a kid who was afraid of dogs, the only breed I ever really got along with were Huskies.

Huskies are beautiful, but you have to remember, I live in Austin Texas. The hell fire pit of towns. I don't think it'd be a happy dog with over a hundred days of 100F.

Some huskies can be quite aggressive too - at least in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.