United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
When buying goods, you draw 6 cards, replacing with any goods in demand.

If you decide you don't want any of those goods, can you return those without penalty? Can you then do a second Buy Goods action wherein you draw 3 cards instead of 6? Could you do this a third time, fourth time, etc., until you get the goods you want?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do that, but not in the same port action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get to look at cards once per port action. The cards you don't buy get discarded without penalty, but to look at more you'll need to take another port action on your next turn.

Taking a second action in the same port like this is when the draw gets reduced to 3 cards. You could repeat that again on a following turn if you really wanted to, but by them you've wasted so many actions that you would have been better off travelling to a different port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'm still not getting it. You said I can only do the Buy action once per port action, but then there is the "Draw 3" rule that I'm still not getting. :-\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
The "draw 3" rule only comes into play if you take two port actions in a row in the same port without leaving.

This usually comes up if you take a port action as the last action on one turn, but then instead of leaving immediately on your next turn you decide to take another look at cargo - that second time is when you only get to draw 3 cards instead of the usual 6+.

I think the rule is intended to keep people from sitting in a port cycling through cards until they get exactly the ones they want. You can still do that, but because of the reduction in cards it's a lot less efficient than moving on to another port
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I understand now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
Quick question in regards to buying goods. It says in the rulebook that you're reduced to three cargo cards to choose from if you buy goods from the same port two turns in a row. Isn't taking multiple actions still part of the same turn? So if someone takes three port actions to buy three times in one turn, shouldn't they technically get three draws of six? Or do you think the rulebook is meant to say two "actions" in a row?

Normally this wouldn't even be beneficial because you can't carry them all and you'd just end up selling them back for what you paid for them, however, there was a rumor card that allowed me to buy all goods at the port I was in for one gold for the rest of my turn. In that case, clarification around this would be a difference of 14 gold. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmarzouq wrote:
Quick question in regards to buying goods. It says in the rulebook that you're reduced to three cargo cards to choose from if you buy goods from the same port two turns in a row. Isn't taking multiple actions still part of the same turn? So if someone takes three port actions to buy three times in one turn, shouldn't they technically get three draws of six?

First sentence under Port in the section of the rules describing Actions:

rules, page 8 wrote:
When you are in a port you may (once per turn) take the "port" action to do any number of the following port activities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're only allowed to do a "Port" action in any particular port once a turn (noted at the top of pg 8). So just one chance to Buy... all port activities can only be done once.

Normally you can't move far enough to reach another port to do a second Port action on the same turn, but as the FAQ notes, it is possible if you use the Perfect Navigation glory card to gain extra actions.

Edit: ninjaninjaninja cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
The "draw 3" rule only comes into play if you take two port actions in a row in the same port without leaving.

To be technically correct, you need to delete "without leaving" from that statement. Christian has confirmed that the "draw 3" rule applies whenever you buy two turns in a row at the same port, even if you leave and return immediately (see here).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
msg tools
Oops, totally missed that part. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Gomez
Uruguay
flag msg tools
In the strange happening, that I buy Goods, three or four times in a row in the same port, how many cards do I draw in the 3rd or N instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mandrake2112 wrote:
In the strange happening, that I buy Goods, three or four times in a row in the same port, how many cards do I draw in the 3rd or N instance?
It's 6 the first time (plus any from abilities), then 3 each time after that.

There's no magic number where repeated port actions "reset" back to the full amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.