Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm for for a (space?) empire building game and hoping I can get some help. A few criteria this game would meet in a perfect world.

3-6 players.

Playable in ~30 minutes per player.

Asymmetrical races/abilities.

Concrete political mechanics. I read through all of TI3 rules (haven't played it yet) and the political cards seem really amazing, but because of game length I don't think I could get my group to go for it. I have Game of Thrones, and like it, but wish there was some asymmetry and political mechanics.

I did play Eclipse once, and thought it was OK. I might enjoy it more but we A) didn't play with the special races and B) it's a bit tricky to grasp the first time. Also it felt a bit too much about resource management than political empire management.

Is this possible? Am I asking for too much in one game?

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Re: What space empire game should I get?
Eclipse.

//First!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Eclipse.

//First!

If we're able to get the reprint in time for the new year. Just seems to be delay on top of delay right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Game
United States
Marion
AR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Empires of the Void...maybe that will fit your bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NHunter wrote:
I like Empires of the Void...maybe that will fit your bill.

Thanks for this suggestion! I guess the other two missed my statement about having tried Eclipse and not really being a huge fan. I really wish I could put my finger on why... I think it was mostly the heavy focus on resource management and nearly 0 feel of diplomacy/politics. What I'm really after is that TI3 politics/voting element. But who knows, that might be precisely the element that makes TI3 so long.

Empires of the Void does indeed look interesting! I love the variety in species and the art style. The biggest problem is that my group usually has 5, and that game only goes up to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
I guess the other two missed my statement about having tried Eclipse and not really being a huge fan.

I didn't miss it, I just reinforced that Eclipse is your best bet. BTW, empires of the void doesn't have the exploration aspect, and is kind of just so-so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burbine
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I love Eclipse but I don't really see it as being a very political game. The only politics are your basic "who to attack" and "who to ally with" (and the alliance system in the base game is lacking, imo). It is more about managing resources, technologies, and your actions.

TI3 has better politics, but I, too, am afraid of it due to its length.

Not empire building, but have you seen Cosmic Encounter? Has asymmetry and can be pretty political.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vrazix wrote:

Not empire building, but have you seen Cosmic Encounter? Has asymmetry and can be pretty political.

Ooh, no I haven't played Cosmic Encounter. That looks really interesting. I'll have to try it out. Does it have an element of area control? I really like area control games, but it seems like it doesn't have any type of that.

While it's not empire building per se, it looks like Rex Might be what I'm looking for. Has anyone tried it? Do you think it will satisfy most of what I'm looking for?

I'll definitely be on the lookout for Cosmic Encounter, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Eclipse.

//First!

And the politics are where? Rex: Final Days of an Empire and the forthcoming Exodus: Proxima Centauri would be better picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:

And the politics are where? Rex: Final Days of an Empire and the forthcoming Exodus: Proxima Centauri would be better picks.

Have played a dozen games of Eclipse with several different people, and have never played a game where politics wasn't a major portion of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
epilepticemu wrote:
vrazix wrote:

Ooh, no I haven't played Cosmic Encounter. That looks really interesting. I'll have to try it out. Does it have an element of area control? I really like area control games, but it seems like it doesn't have any type of that.

While it's not empire building per se, it looks like Rex Might be what I'm looking for. Has anyone tried it? Do you think it will satisfy most of what I'm looking for?

I'll definitely be on the lookout for Cosmic Encounter, too!

First of all, I found CE to be fun as hell. The only area control aspect really is trying to get your ships on 5 other planets and it being more difficult to defend your own as you send yours out. I would say it's kind of low but there.

If there is to be a criticism of CE, it has been known to have a king maker issue since games can kind of get "stuck" so people let/make another the winner or do shared victories. Rex has shared victories, but I think that's partly more the intent of the game to have. It is just part of the political aspect of the game because you can always pair up and then backstab at the last second to get the victory anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weier
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The political mechanics in TI3 are actually kind of weak, definitely not as relevant as they seem and very rarely have much influence on the game (for me at least).

Dune (and its remake, Rex: Final Days of an Empire) don't really have a concrete politics mechanic like TI3 does, but the formal alliances in Dune are much more important and game changing, and can be constantly shifting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gamer 2012
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
exodus proxima centauri?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
matthean wrote:

Have played a dozen games of Eclipse with several different people, and have never played a game where politics wasn't a major portion of the game.

The political aspect is barely there compared to other games. Also, the OP already mentioned how people seemed to have missed them thinking Eclipse was merely OK, and they were looking elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
matthean wrote:

The political aspect is barely there compared to other games. Also, the OP already mentioned how people seemed to have missed them thinking Eclipse was merely OK, and they were looking elsewhere.

Most political games that have concrete political rules usually fall short.TI3 and Dune being the exception(And Rex didn't capture it IMHO, and Dune doesn't have the rest of his parameters). Most games where politics is more meta, like Eclipse, are stronger. If you think the political aspect is missing, it's the people you play with more than the game.

I know what the OP is asking for, and it doesn't have a strong contender, Mechanically. Eclipse is the perfect solution within his boundries...with the right crowd.

Outside his boundaries, the BEST, by far BEST politicy space game is High Frontier, but it's hard to grasp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I know what the OP is asking for

Odd, considering they said they aren't looking for Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Exodus: Proxima Centauriais almost exactly what you are describing. The political stage is everything you would want TI3 politics to be, but more so. It plays much faster than TI3 or Eclipse (the first game will be slow as everyone gets a handle on the rules, but later games will definitely be in the 30-40 min/player range) and it has lots of simultaneous action, so very limited downtime.

The only thing I would warn you about is it does not have asymetric racial powers. The mini-expansion gives once-per-game asymetric powers, but beyond that everyone starts on the same footing. I bet you could come up with an interesting asymetric variant, however. The system is certainly dynamic enough to support it.

Cosmic Encounter is also a great game with all the politicking you could ever want, but it does not really have an area control aspect.

gamer667788 wrote:
exodus proxima centauri?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the great feedback all! I'll definitely find time to try out Cosmic Encounter, and yeah, Exodus looks pretty amazing! Somehow I had totally missed this one. It looks like it will be available for purchase right around XMas, so it'll make the perfect gift!

And wow, I took a look at High Frontier. Granted I didn't give it an IN DEPTH look, but it was definitely made me go wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unseen University
msg tools
Killer Bunnies: Journey to Jupiter... Don't let the name fool you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bascaria wrote:
[thing=122842]It plays much faster than TI3 or Eclipse (the first game will be slow as everyone gets a handle on the rules, but later games will definitely be in the 30-40 min/player range) and it has lots of simultaneous action, so very limited downtime.

FYI, the expansion to Eclipse is adding simultaneous action as a way to combat having up to 9 players. People are saying it can be done in 25-30 minutes per player.

Back to the topic at hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a rather glowing review of Exodus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Exodus. As mentioned, there really isn't any asymmetrical races, but as each player pursues different technology it does get a bit of an asymmetrical feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.