Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finally got my hands on Agricola (with the Goodies expansion) and while we have only played a handful of family games, it is a HUGE hit at home. A while back, Puerto Rico was high on my want list and, after watching Games with Scott, I still like the game quite a bit but...is it redundant now with Agricola at home? I know there is a theme difference, obviously, and the mechanics are far from identical but is it worth having Puerto Rico (with expansions) if I already have Agricola? Will it even shine in the shadow of our farming adventures? Thanks for the help.

M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess they are both somewhat about farming, but Agricola is subsistence farming to help your family thrive while Puerto Rico is about harvesting goods for trade and developing your economic engine. The mechanics and game play are completely different, other than the fact that they are both euros. I wouldn't let owning Agricola stop you from buying Puerto Rico. The two can happily coexist in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamjimby wrote:
I guess they are both somewhat about farming, but Agricola is subsistence farming to help your family thrive while Puerto Rico is about harvesting goods for trade and developing your economic engine. The mechanics and game play are completely different, other than the fact that they are both euros. I wouldn't let owning Agricola stop you from buying Puerto Rico. The two can happily coexist in your collection.

Seconded.
I personally don´t really care about Agricola but just love Puerto Rico. Two totally different games indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb

Not only is it worth having both . . . but you must have both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Puerto Rico does not get the love around here that it might, but that is only because most of us played it literally hundreds of times when it first came out or when we first came into the hobby. Great great game, and I'm convinced one of the few German games played today which will still be around 50 or 100 years from now.

Get it. You will not be disappointed. Works well for the most experienced of gamers, but I have taught many groups of rookies who have enjoyed it a great deal from the first game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do get Puerto Rico, just keep in mind that the expansions are not necessary. Andreas Seyfarth, the games designer, did not author the expansions.

Also, Seyfarth designed a card game version of Puerto Rico called San Juan that is worth having. San Juan is NOT as good of a game as Puerto Rico, BUT I would rather play San Juan. Weird, I know. But I sometimes just do not feel like setting up the game. You have to note how many players there are and then you have to count out the correct number of victory points and the correct number of colonists for that many players. That combined with the building tiles and the plantation tiles makes for a lenghthy set up. With San Juan, its shuffle, deal, and go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
If you do get Puerto Rico, just keep in mind that the expansions are not necessary. Andreas Seyfarth, the games designer, did not author the expansions.

More than just unnecessary. I recommend against them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim Leenaerts
Belgium
Beerse
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
but I have taught many groups of rookies who have enjoyed it a great deal from the first game.

Same here. I have yet to meet a person irl who dislikes Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

More than just unnecessary. I recommend against them.

There are a few buidlings I do like. I like the lighthouse (gives money for shipping goods) and would not mind replacing the univeristy with it. The forest tiles seem a little weird, and not in a good way. The guest house was ok (allows you to move a couple of colonists during the building phase). Having your own trade house was kind of nice. But the rest of the expansion buildings I did not care for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boomhower
United States
Fairfield
VT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The offer includes the expansions...I wasn't directly seeking them out.

Thanks to all for the suggestions...seems pretty damn unanimous to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend both. The feel is very different to me.

In Puerto Rico, when a roll is selected, every player takes that roll, so that main tactic is selecting rolls when you will get bigger benefit than ohters. Both are very tactical games, but IMO Agricola has a bit more strategy (ranching strategy, baking strategy, etc...).

Also, the main thing that Agricola does better than any other game, is provide satisfaction in what you've built. It's just fun to see your farm grow.....to plant your fields, expand your house, and build your pastures.

Although I feel Agricola is the better game, Puerto Rico is ranked #2 is my collection. I don't see how you can go wrong by picking it up.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
richcharters wrote:
I would recommend both. The feel is very different to me.

In Puerto Rico, when a roll is selected, every player takes that roll, so that main tactic is selecting rolls when you will get bigger benefit than ohters. Both are very tactical games, but IMO Agricola has a bit more strategy (ranching strategy, baking strategy, etc...).

Also, the main thing that Agricola does better than any other game, is provide satisfaction in what you've built. It's just fun to see your farm grow.....to plant your fields, expand your house, and build your pastures.

Although I feel Agricola is the better game, Puerto Rico is ranked #2 is my collection. I don't see how you can go wrong by picking it up.

Enjoy!

I prefer Puerto Rico because Agricola has a couple of specific issues which trouble me. But there is no denying that Agricola is a good game.

It's single strongest point is thematic integration. You do really feel as though you're building something and that is very engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll keep it that way. PR is a fine, fine game, and owning Agricola should in no way dissuade you from adding it to your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Puerto Rico feels like a bloated version of San Juan. I find the shipping and trading rules to be really annoying and frustrating. So my advice would be to skip PR entirely. I had to put that out there to avoid the illusion that everyone in the world likes PR.

However, to answer your question, PR is different enough from Agricola that there is room for both in a collection, if you enjoy them both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Puerto Rico its a great game even with just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get Puerto Rico also. But, realize that you'll always go back to the better game......Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fizbin44 wrote:
I would get Puerto Rico also. But, realize that you'll always go back to the better game......Agricola!

If you get Puerto Rico, you will have the better game (just). Obviously the above entry was a typo.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico > Agricola

(the crocodile wants to eat the juicier, meatier game. chomp chomp.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
To me, Puerto Rico feels like a bloated version of San Juan. I find the shipping and trading rules to be really annoying and frustrating. So my advice would be to skip PR entirely. I had to put that out there to avoid the illusion that everyone in the world likes PR.

However, to answer your question, PR is different enough from Agricola that there is room for both in a collection, if you enjoy them both.

The shipping and trading rules are only annoying when you can't ship and you can't trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
The shipping and trading rules are only annoying when you can't ship and you can't trade.

Actually, it's most annoying when you have to ship, and when nobody can trade for several turns (because everything that anyone produces is clogging up the market). Both rules seem non-thematic to me, and both create a high level of interaction that I don't like. It's a weird sort of interaction, where you have to be super-conscious of the incidental leeching effects of your choices. I prefer games where I can focus on what's good for me, and tolerate games with direct attacks, or where side effects are minor. PR is none of those.

But hey, every game has its fans and detractors. Diversity is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Holle
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
peakhope wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

Actually, it's most annoying when you have to ship, and when nobody can trade for several turns (because everything that anyone produces is clogging up the market). Both rules seem non-thematic to me, and both create a high level of interaction that I don't like. It's a weird sort of interaction, where you have to be super-conscious of the incidental leeching effects of your choices. I prefer games where I can focus on what's good for me, and tolerate games with direct attacks, or where side effects are minor. PR is none of those.

But hey, every game has its fans and detractors. Diversity is good.

You just described everything makes Puerto Rico a great game. Yet those are the reasons you don't like it?

Anyway - get Puerto Rico. Skip the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
Puerto Rico > Agricola
Please note that the above arrow indicates the direction in which you should upgrade your gaming experience and should not be confused with the mathematical comparison operator.

As you can see PR and Agricola are both quite popular but often not with the same people. So if your question is if PR is a good game and if it's different enough from Agricola to get it then: Yes, definitely. However you seem to greatly enjoy Agricola so you might (no guarantees) not enjoy PR exactly because they are such different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.