Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in a small condo with no cavernous basement to convert into a game room and never enough closet space. We've moved the TV to the spare room and started converting the "living room" into a Game/Dining room so with that comes all the game boxes. The space is actually perfect for small get togethers like game nights. And dinner parties for 5-8 with games.

Now we are looking for some ideas to fix what I call the bookshelf problem. I'm not a fan of walls of games like we see behind people in the game review shows. It's fine for a game room in a basement or spare bedroom, but ours will be a dining room too. So I'm looking for some thoughts or ideas of how to organize games... maybe get rid of all the game boxes? I already have Dominion all organized in a toolbox, so how can I push that further and make it classy and consistent for all my games... With some room to grow.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shelves with doors on them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to put them on display, perhaps you would consider acquiring binder boxes like in the image below (for lack of a better term) in which to put your games. If and when I get a sexy house instead of a standard apartment, that is what I will do. This way, you get rid of the eyesore that a collection of game represents (I can't wait to get rid of that aspect), and save on space.

If you want to hide them, I suppose you can better conceal them than I can give advice for .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought about investing in cabinets instead of bookcases? You can get decent looking storage cabinets for around $200 each. The doors will hide the game clutter and keep everything looking uniform and save you from having to unbox every new game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Davis
United States
Hobbs
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a shelving system like this? you would stack the games into the depth of the shelf rather than across the width.

I suppose they would be game drawers lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
How big is the collection? If not too big, you could try a table like this:

http://www.clinecon.com/chucktable/

A little pricey, but I saw one at the recent GASPCon in Pittsburgh, and it's good quality. It also has the Geek Chiq style removable top to preserve games in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the coolest ideas I saw was a guy framed the boards all of his most played games. It was a cool idea. If you were to take this idea a little further you could use say mason jars or some kind of container to put the components of the game you frame in. I think it is the boards that will cause you the most grief as everything else easily fits into different kinds of containers. You could very easily put all the rules into page protectors and put them all in a nice binder or some kind of book. They don't need to be with the game considering what you are looking to do.

I think of a game like Cyclades where is could be kind of cool having all the men in little glass jars on a shelf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I think of a game like Cyclades where is could be kind of cool having all the men in little glass jars on a shelf.

While cool by some gamers' standards, I don't think having blue plastic figurines on display is all that classy (which is, after all, what the OP is after). YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same problem with book shelves. What I ended up doing was getting a thin curtain rod that I inserted along the topmost shelf, and hung sheer curtains on it. That way it hides the mess of books, but also looks nice. Very cheap option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the IKEA Besta and Billy cabinets with doors. My doors are see-through because I want to see my games, but as usual with IKEA you have a whole range of different doors available

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:
I use the IKEA Besta and Billy cabinets with doors. My doors are see-through because I want to see my games, but as usual with IKEA you have a whole range of different doors available

I interpreted the OP's message as trying to find alternatives to this (wall of games) kind of storage solution. One of us is probably wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:

A little pricey, but I saw one at the recent GASPCon in Pittsburgh, and it's good quality. It also has the Geek Chiq style removable top to preserve games in progress.

The table looks awesome, but holy cow is that a terrible website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
engdy wrote:

The table looks awesome, but holy cow is that a terrible website.

Maple! Oak! In multicolor comic sans!

Yeah, a joker next to your price quote not be the best of presentations for a quite striking table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
Ruesailmana wrote:

I interpreted the OP's message as trying to find alternatives to this (wall of games) kind of storage solution. One of us is probably wrong.

He is suggesting the same cabinets with solid doors instead of the clear ones he has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I have a similar idea, but for LP's. I have been looking for an old stereo console(preferably one that doesn't work, so I don't incur the wrath of vintage audio people) and converting them into shelves to store my LP's...The same idea could be used for games.

A lot of them have that slick Eames era feel to them, and would look slick in a classy gameroom.

For example:

or

They come up a lot on craigslist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rue Sailmana
Netherlands
Eindhoven
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
The Hedgehog Can Never be Buggered at All
mbmbmbmbmb
Ogthar wrote:
jgag wrote:
Ruesailmana wrote:

He is suggesting the same cabinets with solid doors instead of the clear ones he has.

She, and yes.. .Like modern kitchens you can make it look like a solid wall and only by pushing on them do you realize they are doors (it's probably not visible on my picture, but I need no doorknobs on the doors because of the push system)

Like this: http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S59906034/ for example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgag wrote:
monchichi wrote:

While cool by some gamers' standards, I don't think having blue plastic figurines on display is all that classy (which is, after all, what the OP is after). YMMV.

yes but he did say that he put his Dominion in a "toolbox"...so I was kind of reading between the lines as not sure about you but when I think "classy" I don't think toolbox.

classy people put things like apples in glass vases....so think of the blue army men in the jars as a board gamers version of apples in a vase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerVP wrote:
I had the same problem with book shelves. What I ended up doing was getting a thin curtain rod that I inserted along the topmost shelf, and hung sheer curtains on it. That way it hides the mess of books, but also looks nice. Very cheap option.

This is bar far the easiest, cheapest and most variable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys. Great ideas! While I'm not lookig for a money hole, I'm definately not looking for the cheapest option, either.

The collection is pretty small relative to what I see here (though enormous according to my more casual-player friends). It's about 40 games + some expansions (which I already tend to try to get into one box). I want some room for growth but not planning on being a huge collector.

I'm leaning heavily towards getting rid of boxes at least the bigger ones. We started bagging games, labeling them and putting them in stiff cloth boxes last night, which looks pretty good on the open part of the shelves. But I still want some ideas, especially as I start thinking of a more consistent style for the room.

Also tables are out, though that one looks pretty decent. We actually have have a geek chic table arriving in feb/ march, which was the catylist of all this clean up in the first place. That guy will be dominating the room, obviously and we're pushing for an uncluttered look.

So far I'm very intrigued by the binder idea which could potentially take care of many of my games, even if I have somehow store the boards seperately; it wouldn't be any more difficult than dealing with 3 expansions boxes.

Anyway thanks so much and keep those ideas rolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
jgag wrote:
monchichi wrote:

yes but he did say that he put his Dominion in a "toolbox"...so I was kind of reading between the lines as not sure about you but when I think "classy" I don't think toolbox.

classy people put things like apples in glass vases....so think of the blue army men in the jars as a board gamers version of apples in a vase

Haha. For the record the dominon toolbox is probably my biggest single game problem and I shouldn't have mentioned it. My friends tease the hell out of me over the "toolbox of power" because it is such a mismatch... But they are the ones who always want me to bring dominon to thier place. The toolbox is hidden away in a closet or behind something whenever possible (though it is huge).

So yes I absolutely do not want some display case style situation unless its for some miraculously designed game. Not a judgement, just some clarity so you know more what I'm looking for.

On the other hand blue army men in a glass vase would go over as exquisite irony to my non-gamer friends who truly believe my gaming hobby is some kind of hipster statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ruesailmana wrote:

Rue,

How do you deal with those boxes that don't fit behind the doors on your shelves. Our bookshelves, also Ikea, do have the lower half shelves... About half of my games will not fit behind those doors, at least in thier ridiculous boxes.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for one of those fancy game table from 'geek chic' and some of their accessories! ((drool))
http://geekchichq.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do something like this, since you're willing to bag games:

They're really magazine storage boxes, but would probably hold one or two (or more if small) bagged games. You can turn them on the shelf so the solid side faces out. Amazon has them, and you can get them in places like Staples, Target, and Wal-mart in lots of different colors/textures to match the look you want to achieve.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soniaandree wrote:
I'd go for one of those fancy game table from 'geek chic' and some of their accessories! ((drool))

Done. We're doing this to class up the room when the table comes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
soniaandree wrote:

Done. We're doing this to class up the room when the table comes.

Wow! You're a geek after my own heart! thumbsup I'm jealous as hell too! DO put a picture once your room is sorted, will you? I'll give thumbsup for the effort!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.