Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Sulat
United Kingdom
Dundee
- Choose a State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Green and Red are on the same tile at depth 0.

Green explores and discovers a descent tile, places a rope, and moves into that tile (3 AP). She receives a traverse line token and a depth reached 25 token.

Red moves into the same tile as green (1AP), he does not get a depth reached token as he did not play a rope. Red then explores and discovers a descent tile, plays a rope and moves into that space (3AP). He receives a traverse line token and a depth reached 50 token.

Does red also get a depth reached 25 token as he has "passed" this depth?

Thanks,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, because red only passed it and did 't discover it himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
ChimpMasaki wrote:
Does red also get a depth reached 25 token as he has "passed" this depth?

The rules clearly explain how you get depth tokens (on page 8):

"The first time a player moves (up or down) to a new depth by placing rope, the player takes a corresponding depth reached token with depth equal to the depth of the tile just entered."

In your example, red did not move to depth 25 by placing a rope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:

Note that it doesn't matter if red discovered the tile at a different depth or not. It only matters if red placed the necessary rope and moved to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Lines42 wrote:

Note that it doesn't matter if red discovered the tile at a different depth or not. It only matters if red placed the necessary rope and moved to it.

Oh, right. Bad wording...
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sulat
United Kingdom
Dundee
- Choose a State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your replies!

I thought this was the case but I have seen groups who play differently.

Happy Spelunking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miche
Germany
flag msg tools
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat...
badge
I see dead people...
mbmbmbmbmb
While on this topic, how about this scenario:

I am at level 0 and place two ropes to descend directly to level 50 (which was built there by a fellow speleologist on a different path). I spend 3 APs (two ropes and the move) and get the 50 token. Will I also get the 25? Because, realistically, I have also explored 25 on my way to the 50...

Cheers,
da_miche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WRS WRS
Poland
Ropczyce
Podkarpacie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you pass by 25 meters. You don't land on that level. So you can't get bonus for 25 meters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
The rules clearly explain how you get depth tokens (on page 8):

"The first time a player moves (up or down) to a new depth by placing rope, the player takes a corresponding depth reached token with depth equal to the depth of the tile just entered."

In your example, red did not move to depth 25 by placing a rope.

Sorry, now I'm more confused than I started!

Our group had been using the (wrong) rule that you get a new depth token each time you personally enter a tile at a depth you hadn't previously visited (meaning that pretty much everyone ended up with exactly one marker from each depth). This interpretation is clearly incorrect.

But what happens if we have this sequence of events?...

* Alice goes north from the start room, discovers a descent, places a rope, and descends. Alice gets a 25' depth marker.
* Bob follows Alice and descends. Bob does not get a 25' depth marker, because he didn't place ropes?
* Bob discovers a new tile on the same cave level and moves into it. Bob does not get a 25' depth marker for this action, either.
* Bob discovers another descent, places a rope, and descends. Bob gets a 50' depth marker. Bob still does not get a 25' depth marker?

Meanwhile...

* Alice ascends back to 0', goes south from the start room, discovers a second descent, places a rope, and descends to 25'. Does Alice get a second 25' descent marker for this achievement?

Meanwhile...

* Charlie discovers a bunch of tiles on the 25' level, and finally they loop around so that a 25'-deep tile is adjacent to Bob's current 50'-deep tile.
* Can Bob place a rope leading up from his 50' depth to Charlie's 25' depth? (This is sort of a side topic. We played that he could.)
* If so, Bob finally gets his 25' depth marker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Quuxplusone wrote:
But what happens if we have this sequence of events?...

* Alice goes north from the start room, discovers a descent, places a rope, and descends. Alice gets a 25' depth marker.
* Bob follows Alice and descends. Bob does not get a 25' depth marker, because he didn't place ropes?
* Bob discovers a new tile on the same cave level and moves into it. Bob does not get a 25' depth marker for this action, either.
* Bob discovers another descent, places a rope, and descends. Bob gets a 50' depth marker. Bob still does not get a 25' depth marker?

That is all correct, yes.

Quote:
Meanwhile...

* Alice ascends back to 0', goes south from the start room, discovers a second descent, places a rope, and descends to 25'. Does Alice get a second 25' descent marker for this achievement?

No, she does not; a player never gets duplicates of the same depth value.

Quote:
* Charlie discovers a bunch of tiles on the 25' level, and finally they loop around so that a 25'-deep tile is adjacent to Bob's current 50'-deep tile.
* Can Bob place a rope leading up from his 50' depth to Charlie's 25' depth? (This is sort of a side topic. We played that he could.)
* If so, Bob finally gets his 25' depth marker?

Yes, Bob can do this.
As stated, you get a depth token if you go to that depth by placing a rope. So ... simply apply that rule.

(And you don't get a depth token if you already have one for that depth.)

Note the rule: this seems pretty clear/unambiguous to me:
rules page 8 wrote:
The first time a player moves (up or down) to a new depth by placing rope, the player takes a corresponding depth reached token with depth equal to the depth of the tile just entered. A player may only have 1 depth reached token for a given depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur O'Dwyer
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Russ. We'll definitely have to play it again with the right rules and see how the tactics change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Summers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all

I've just got the game and I'm trying to put together a cheat sheet/player aid card, and I'm stumbling on the depth reached tokens like many before me.

Page 8 of the English rules seems to pretty conclusively say that if you lay 3 ropes to descend 3 levels (let's say from 0 to 75 metres), you should collect a 25, 50 and 75 token. To quote the rules...

'The depth difference is 75 metres (3 levels). Anna is well prepared and has 3 ropes in her backpack. She spends 4 AP and places 3 ropes between the two tiles and moves her team pawn to the descent tile. She takes 3 traverse line exploration tokens and places them near her player board.'

It then shows images of a 25, 50 and 75 token.

The rules seem to then contradict this and say that:

'Depth reached tokens are gained only by entering the new level with the player's own just-placed rope, not by using an opponent's rope.'

So I'm basically as confused as I was before! Can anyone help? This is going against what most people seem to think on the forum, but looking at the printed rules it's night and day.

Hope it's ok to post rules seeing as they are in the Files sections of BGG by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
FruitBatCop wrote:
Page 8 of the English rules seems to pretty conclusively say that if you lay 3 ropes to descend 3 levels (let's say from 0 to 75 metres), you should collect a 25, 50 and 75 token. To quote the rules...

'The depth difference is 75 metres (3 levels). Anna is well prepared and has 3 ropes in her backpack. She spends 4 AP and places 3 ropes between the two tiles and moves her team pawn to the descent tile. She takes 3 traverse line exploration tokens and places them near her player board.'

It then shows images of a 25, 50 and 75 token.

The rules seem to then contradict this and say that:

'Depth reached tokens are gained only by entering the new level with the player's own just-placed rope, not by using an opponent's rope.'

So I'm basically as confused as I was before!

Can you clarify what you're confused about? In the example, Anna used the rope she placed, not an opponent's rope, so what is the contradiction you're referring to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Christian might be mixing up traverse line exploration tokens and depth tokens.

The first are the round rope counters - that's what Anna takes 3 of, for using her 3 ropes.

She then would take ONE depth exploration token, I think, to show she's got to 75m.

The confusion perhaps arises because the 3 depth exploration tokens appear in the rules directly after the section Christian quotes - but they are plainly different things to the traverse exploration tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Summers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Aha!! Thanks guys - Beloch you are exactly right. It mentions the traverse line exploration tokens and then shows picturs of the depth tokens...a little confusing, but now makes sense.

Thanks guys - totally get it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.