Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually don't post that much to forums, and rarely about myself but I had to brag as I just finished building my family a game table for all of our board gaming goodness. It is made of solid 1 x Oak and all built from lumber except for the legs which I cheated and ordered. The recessed area is 4'x6' with one of Boards & Bits game table covers, and each seating area folds out into an 11" x 24" desk on the ends and 11" x 36" desks on the sides. Personally I'm kinda proud of it due to being the first thing I ever built outside of legos and computers.

• [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

I'm curious about the folding out tables part - any pictures of that in detail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrel Raines
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very nice!

I second the motion to see a detail of the fold-out section/sections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great job and wish I had one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
draines wrote:
Looks very nice!

I second the motion to see a detail of the fold-out section/sections.

Fold out is probably the wrong word, better to say fold-down. I'll get a better picture tonight after work but here is one of it in construction (no clue why it got rotated when uploaded) and you can see basically how I did it. I simply cut the support structures for the top section to 2 and 7/8ths inches which is an 1/8 above the dropped area height and then simply cut those structures in half and placed hinges on each side. This picture isn't the best but it gives some idea.

BTW in case someone is curious, it cost me ~$600-$700 to build, not including cost of tools (which will be used for other things anyways). $250 of that was the legs so you could save some money if you weren't concerned about getting fancy legs. You could save even more if you went with S4S pine and painted it instead of staining it as pine is MUCH cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Homan
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! I would love to have the skill to build something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I'm quite jealous.

I don't have any tools (or any real expertise with woodworking, even if I had the tools) so this is likely out of my skill range.

Maybe I can talk my father-in-law into making one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
Nice! I'm quite jealous.

I don't have any tools (or any real expertise with woodworking, even if I had the tools) so this is likely out of my skill range.

Maybe I can talk my father-in-law into making one...

It's really not that hard. I have zero woodworking skills as well. The way I simply did it was keep everything square, make everything an ACTUAL square/rectangle and try to stay to keeping everything to the dimensions of the wood so I would have to only cut lengths. It's really not that bad. The hardest part was cutting the corners on 45 degrees but I have a cheap compound miter saw for that.

And all in all it's far cheaper than spending like $5k on a geek chic one .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hansen
United States
Savage
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about the idea for the fold-downs. Did they come from another piece of furniture, or do you play specific games that would make them essential?

i haven't seen anything like them. Mostly pull our drawers and such, but i really like the fold down. Great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hadlock
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Job well done. Now we need session reports w/ images so you can continue to show off your handy work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joelddhans wrote:
I'm curious about the idea for the fold-downs. Did they come from another piece of furniture, or do you play specific games that would make them essential?

i haven't seen anything like them. Mostly pull our drawers and such, but i really like the fold down. Great job.

Depends on the game... I mainly built them so you could keep everything separate from the general play area for games like TI-3, Arkham Horror, and the like. Also is handy for say Fury of Dracula to give Drac a little more room to spread out without having to worry about the other players seeing what they are doing. Since building the game though we've primarily been playing games like LotR:LCG, Sentinels of the Multiverse and Mage-wars (which the cubbies are nice for MW, instead of folding them down we just put our selected cards in there each turn so we can glance down quickly and see what we have).

Mostly though since the building they've been used for snacks and to keep drinks away from the table. We usually only play with ~4 people at a time every Saturday night so we'll fold down the ends and put our drinks and snacks there where they are in easy reach of each player but well out of the way of any components. I got the idea from the cheaper geek-chic tables. I figured since I was building it anyways I might as well add the feature since it would be nice to occasionally use. But once I got it built I found the 5.5" of the raised area between you and the lowered play area is actually usually plenty of room for all your gear. At least for the games we've been playing lately.

Like I said, in about an hour when I get home I'll get some more pictures and even setup Arkham Horror on it (and yes the entire Arkham horror and all expansions fit, one of the reasons I made it the size I did) to give you guys a sense of the size and better details. Thanks for everyone's support!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised here are more pictures so you can get an idea of the table. If there are any requests let me know and I will be glad to do what I can to help. If anyone wants to build one GM me and I will be more than happy to share with you my basic plans (have no real plans did it all in my head but it doesn't really require any), tips I picked up, and what I learned so you can make yours even better than mine. And yes I will start doing weekly session reports with pics. Anyways on to what I have, but first I have to apologize, keep in mind 2 things. I have Familial tremors (means my hands shake), and I took these on my iPhone4s because I have zero clue where my wife put the camera I bought her.

First pic is a setup of the full length setup of Arkham Horror. I didn't pull out all of the expansion cards and the tokens because quite frankly I'm lazy, but this should give you an idea of the size and space we have to play with.

Second is a pic of the far end where I have all the misc cards setup and the fold down out for the quick references and tokens. I would probably keep all of the tokens at one end and everything is in easy reach of the players.

Third is a close up of the fold down so you can see how it is done, nothing fancy but it works.

And finally is how the table looks with most of the fold downs out should the players decide to keep their items completely seperate from the general play area.

The table seats 8 with 8 fold downs. The corner pieces with the brass parts on them are going to be drilled out with a hole saw and brass cup holders put in once I get around to getting some. All in all this was a fantastic and enjoyable experience building this and I learned so much by it. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can, and I believe anyone can build one that fits their space. If anyone is interested in building something similar (or heck even not so similar) feel free to GM me and I will happily help where I can (heck if you live around Tulsa, OK I'll gladly come by and help you build it as it was a blast). Far more rewarding than simply buying one of those high end ones, cheaper, and it will still last a life time.

Thank you all for viewing and I am glad you liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Hartman
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is awesome! I really need to get a table saw and mitre saw. Some money of course too, to buy the saws and the wood...lol. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyFlyChicken wrote:
Wow, that is awesome! I really need to get a table saw and mitre saw. Some money of course too, to buy the saws and the wood...lol. Great job!

While you are at it tack on a kreg jig too... That thing is FANTASTIC and makes assembly a breeze. Also allows you to hide all the screws. Best tool investment I've made in awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hatton
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LSU LSU
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That table looks fantastic. Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Al-Tahan
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mltdwn wrote:

While you are at it tack on a kreg jig too... That thing is FANTASTIC and makes assembly a breeze. Also allows you to hide all the screws. Best tool investment I've made in awhile.

The table looks great!! And yes, I definitely can recommend the kreg jig as well, I've built tons of furniture with it, so easy to use. I can't wait to build something like this myself!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nicely done! That looks awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Dijstelbloem
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A job well done and an inspiration to us all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Christie
United Kingdom
Greenhithe
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks great! Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett Dunn
United States
Tulsa
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested I have begun a blog going over the construction of the table and it is located here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/1982/the-building-of-the-famil...

I also did up Google Sketchup plans tonight for the table and posted them to the site. As soon as it is approved I will link it through the blog and begin discussion on the construction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Darby
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as I get a house I am getting my Dad to build one of these! Best house warming present ever!!!!!

Keep posting so I can save the information!

You did an awesome Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
up for this;.... awesome.... very well made.... thanks for posting