1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for a beginner wargame thar isn't card based rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Majin 19
msg tools
mb
So my friend and I are both interested in trying some wargames. At the moment, the only thing we've played is Memoir '44 (no arguments as to its wargame status, ok?) The biggest issue we both have with the game is that what you can do is limited by your cards, and this means that the game is largely based on luck. Resolving the battles with dice doesn't seem to be an issue. What would be a good wargame to get next, that allows you to have far more control over your units?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Majin19 wrote:
So my friend and I are both interested in trying some wargames. At the moment, the only thing we've played is Memoir '44 (no arguments as to its wargame status, ok?) The biggest issue we both have with the game is that what you can do is limited by your cards, and this means that the game is largely based on luck. Resolving the battles with dice doesn't seem to be an issue. What would be a good wargame to get next, that allows you to have far more control over your units?

What period/war are you interested in?

What scale do you prefer: tactical, operational, or strategic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Neff
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps you'd like a beginner block game like Richard III or Hammer of the Scots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Nordstrom
United States
Drums
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard IIIand Hammer are both also card-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadgr
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Arnhem Bridge introduced me to some of the basics of wargaming, though it doesn't deal with zones of control or use a combat result table. Plays fast and can be quite tense. The newest version in the series Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Nijmegen Bridge has much nicer production values. Both are very reasonably priced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm enjoying Space Empires: 4X and A Victory Denied at the moment. Both fairly simple in terms of rules, but great games. And not card-based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up one of the Classic AH games here on the geek or eBay.
Half of us started with Afrika Korps or Stalingrad.

Cheap money and you'll get a sense of the history of war game design as you progress in your wargaming adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider reviewing some of the Geeklists and threads that have been tagged introwargames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoelCFC25 wrote:
Consider reviewing some of the Geeklists and threads that have been tagged introwargames.

Yeah--like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Majin19 wrote:
The biggest issue we both have with the game is that what you can do is limited by your cards, and this means that the game is largely based on luck.

Hmmm.... I wonder why it is then that I keep getting beaten by the same skillful opponent every time at card-driven wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the size and scope of Memoir, but want to get rid of the cards, here are a few:

Hold the Line - It is the American Revolutionary war. You missed a chance to get it for $15 (USD) at Worthington at the Black Friday sale a couple of weeks ago.

Napoleon's War: The 100 Days - It uses the same system for Napoleonic battles. Neither have cards. This one has plastic pieces. Hold the Line does not.

Totensonntag - Fun beginner-level wargame. Easy to learn. Easy to play. Plenty of challenge.

Hope you find what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's WW2 and tactical (and no card-driven) you're after I'd highly recommend Jim Krohn's remarkable Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. I'd argue the best tactical bang-for-the-buck and one of the very best games for focusing on tactics.

Uwe's excellent Conflict of Heroes series is another great easy leap into wargames at that scale and time period, but there are a few cards used in some scenarios to offer a few assets to players (but it's not a card-driven game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A House Divided
Battle for Moscow (second edition) (this can also be found from VPG... not just in the C3i mag)
Any of Paul Koenig's Market Garden series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majin 19
msg tools
mb
Eldard wrote:
What period/war are you interested in?

What scale do you prefer: tactical, operational, or strategic?

Time period doesn't really matter much. We're more interested in playing a fun game than in actual history.

I'm definitely more interested in tactical games, though I'm not opposed to playing the other types if they're good games. I'd have to ask my friend what her preferences are.

(Really, I think I'd love to find something like Command and Conquer: The Board Game. I don't think that's a realistic expectation though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you may want to look at Nuklear Winter '68. That was my first go at non-card based. Also I did a recent review that you check out here: NK '68 Review

Also any of the other references mentioned will give you a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Majin19 wrote:
The biggest issue we both have with the game is that what you can do is limited by your cards, and this means that the game is largely based on luck.

If CDGs aren’t your thing, cool. Everyone has likes and dislikes. But at some point in the future, it might be worth your while revisiting this conclusion.

And I don’t want to spin this off-track in a CDGs vs. non-CDGs direction, but CDGs often serve as excellent entry points to wargaming because the best ones provide tons of narrative, history, and color, with little relative rules heft.

Anyway, for a non-card-driven suggestion, I submit Napoleon's Triumph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Stubner
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I didn’t think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows -- Bart Simpson
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege. Available from MMP and very nice intro.

I like it better than "A Victory Lost" (another similar intro level game that is often mentioned) because the potential downtime for players isn't as bad. In AVL, the chit draw can cause looooong waits (i.e. Russian HQ combo'ed with Stakva) for the German player.

P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert B
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Hold the Line: Affordable price, nice components, simple rules, quick play - activation is by Action Points, so you can prioritize what units you want to activate by points, instead of by cards like in M44.

Columbia's block wargames are excellent for starters and many don't use cards, such as Quebec 1759 or Wizard Kings (depending if you want historical or fantasy based).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These are all good suggestions. Here's another one, a game I bought last summer. It's quick playing, simple to learn, has an intriguing mechanic, is readily available, inexpensive but attractive, and is a game you can return to over and over again, if you later decide to expand to something else: Patton's First Victory: Tunisia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coumbia Games EastFront
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll reinforce Hold the Line and Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 or one of the other games in the series.

I also want to agree with Jason above. My favorite wargames are card-driven in some way, and I started out thinking I hated them. Once the games clicked and I opened my mind a bit, I was blown away by Combat Commander, as well as many other CDGs. Don't dismiss all of them out of hand just because of your feelings toward Memoir is all

Cheers, and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Robinson
United States
Neptune City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Entry Level Wargames
WW1 They Shall Not Pass, Great War at Sea: Pacific Crossroads
WW2 Corps Command: Totensonntag

Low - Moderate
Sci-Fi Space Empires 4X
Middle Ages Men of Iron
Hypothetical Nuklear Winter '68
WW2 Lock n' Load Band of Heroes, Red Winter, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! Russia 1941-1942
American Revolution Hold the Line
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J. Mortimer
United Kingdom
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This block game got me into war games:

Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815

No cards and great fog of war game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Here's an interesting PnP, using some very modern ideas:

Unconditional Surrender! Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Ferrari
United States
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tank on Tank from Lock n Load Publishing is a good intro wargame. It is a bit expensive for what you get in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.