12 Posts

VivaJava: The Coffee Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: can a team blend if a player has NO beans? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
leon LEON LEON

New York
msg tools
Viva Java is a great game, but the rules seem pretty vague in a lot of spots. Thankfully I've clarified some through these forums, but one thing came up that I couldn't find. If you have a team that chooses to blend, but one of the players has NO beans in their roaster, can they still blend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. ALL players involved must be able to provide at least one bean.

page 7. The first paragraph of the blend rules...

Using Beans and Bags
Each team takes the Blend Slate above their region on the World
Map. There are five spaces for beans on each Blend Slate and these
will be filled by randomly pulling beans from each player’s Roaster.
NOTE: Players on a team must be able to contribute a total of five beans
collectively, including using any Abilities, to create a Blend. Players must
truthfully declare the number of beans (but not type) in their Roasters to
ensure a Blend is possible. If not possible, the team must Research.

End of next paragraph...

All players must contribute at least one bean,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. Possible strategy there.

Keep your bag low, then get to no beans and make sure you end up on point leader or closest competitor's team to sabotage brewing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
alxamp21 wrote:

Keep your bag low, then get to no beans and make sure you end up on point leader or closest competitor's team to sabotage brewing.

I almost always keep my bean count low to be able to do this. Also because I like to mooch off other's careful bean collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leon LEON LEON

New York
msg tools
alxamp21 wrote:

Right, so you could keep it a secret that you have zero beans, join with the point leader, and force that team to do Research? Cool.

I've definitely had a lot of players including me have a lot of success playing with 0-2 beans in their bag at all times. A lot of strategy seems to involve mooching as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dérek Boily
Canada
Québec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that you have to take the bean located in your country (at least, that is how I've always played)... If you want to force another player to research by having no bean in your roaster, you'll have to spot the "-1 bean" country token. Or maybe I misunderstood a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrLeRobot wrote:
Don't forget that you have to take the bean located in your country (at least, that is how I've always played)... If you want to force another player to research by having no bean in your roaster, you'll have to spot the "-1 bean" country token. Or maybe I misunderstood a rule?

No, you got it right - you must take the bean in the Country Crop space unless a Country Token action forces you not to. You can also ditch that bean you just took with the Select ability if you Blend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
leyawn wrote:

I've definitely had a lot of players including me have a lot of success playing with 0-2 beans in their bag at all times. A lot of strategy seems to involve mooching as much as possible.

I definitely wouldn't say that - although my favorite strategy is mooching, I often try something different in every game, from all-Research to all-Blend, all with varied (and, sometimes, victorious) results. The only way mooching works well is if the other players aren't paying as much attention - or if they're a little on the gullible side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boom Chakalaka
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ckirkman wrote:

No, you got it right - you must take the bean in the Country Crop space unless a Country Token action forces you not to. You can also ditch that bean you just took with the Select ability if you Blend.

But you can't use the select ability on your one and only bean if your team has decided to blend, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may certainly be wrong, but my recollection is that a player does not have to contribute to a blend, but can't get points for it if they don't. So that if the other player(s) on the team can swing it on their own they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
I may certainly be wrong, but my recollection is that a player does not have to contribute to a blend, but can't get points for it if they don't. So that if the other player(s) on the team can swing it on their own they can.

You are certainly wrong. Except for certain Flavor card, you have to contribute to a blend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
spbtc wrote:

You are certainly wrong. Except for certain Flavor card, you have to contribute to a blend.

A++ would thumb again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.