Subject: Rune/Weapon Mastery Timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Na
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick question. When do you decide to exhaust rune mastery / weapon mastery? Is it before all dice are rolled? Is it after all dice are rolled?

I googled this and searched the forums and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
After the dice are rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Na
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is this stated anywhere? Just curious but what is your source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Triu Greykith
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dcjoker wrote:

I haven't found anything explicit so far.

Rune Mastery wrote:
When you attack with a Rune weapon, you may exhaust this card to add 1 {Surge} to the results.

The evil overlord devil would prefer to force you to exhaust it before you know if you really need it. Adam Sadler has said that Dash & Frenzy can be played at any time during activation, not just at the start, so this might be similar. D2E generally plays fast & loose (& a bit abstract), unlike the detailed rules in other games (M:tG). The Golden Rules (page 18) leave it up to the current player to decide the order in which abilities are resolved when timing conflicts arise. It could be different every turn ...

Combat wrote:
1. Declare Weapon and Target
2. Roll Dice
3. Check Range
4. Spend Surges
5. Deal Damage

Seems like step 3 & 4 should be swapped, since surges can modify range. Adam has said surges can be spent on non-damage effects like recovering fatigue, even if the range check fails.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Na
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Triu. My friend and I take turns being the overlord equally but either way I'm hoping it is after dice are rolled because that's how we've been playing it and seems more intuitive that way at least to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's unfortunate because a lot of other things specifically state "before rolling dice" or "after rolling dice." I don't know why (it's not explicitly stated anywhere), but I also had assumed that Rune/Weapon/Bow Mastery and Mana Weave were "after rolling dice" effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Triu wrote:
dcjoker wrote:

I haven't found anything explicit so far.

Rune Mastery wrote:
When you attack with a Rune weapon, you may exhaust this card to add 1 {Surge} to the results.

The evil overlord devil would prefer to force you to exhaust it before you know if you really need it. Adam Sadler has said that Dash & Frenzy can be played at any time during activation, not just at the start, so this might be similar. D2E generally plays fast & loose (& a bit abstract), unlike the detailed rules in other games (M:tG). The Golden Rules (page 18) leave it up to the current player to decide the order in which abilities are resolved when timing conflicts arise. It could be different every turn ...

Combat wrote:
1. Declare Weapon and Target
2. Roll Dice
3. Check Range
4. Spend Surges
5. Deal Damage

Seems like step 3 & 4 should be swapped, since surges can modify range. Adam has said surges can be spent on non-damage effects like recovering fatigue, even if the range check fails.

Makes sense that you chek range before you decide if you need to spend a surge to increase it.. so I think its good as it stands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.