Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I visited my mom (a year ago), she had gotten heavily into mah jongg. There's obviously a social element to it for her, but from knowing her, I was thinking that a game which offers a similar type of fun might be a nice gift for her.

So: similar mechanics and/or vibe to mah jongg, relatively approachable for someone who hasn't played modern hobby games.

Big bonus points if it's good for 2 or 3.

Medium bonus points if it has attractive pieces or a gently quirky theme. (Bohnanza is probably too goofy, in addition to wanting more players. Ticket To Ride is too dry.)

Minor bonus points if it's something her Vlaada-and-Dominion-loving gamer son (that's me) would enjoy but would not consistently trounce her at if we play a handful of times while I'm home.

Many thanks for any suggestions you have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Tsuro or Carcassonne.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rummikub. My in-laws who enjoy Mah-Jongg love Rummikub. It's easier to play and has the same tactile pleasure. Note it is best with four but still playable with 2-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jeris
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly off the wall suggestion: Ra.

Mah-jongg, like all other games of the rummy family, is essentially a game of set collection. But in mah-jongg, the sets to be collected and the points you score for them follow rather more complicated rules than in most rummy-type games -- enough so that I don't think the scoring rules for Ra are out of reach. The "press your luck" and competitive valuation aspects of mah-jongg are also there in the tile draw and auction mechanics.

(For what it's worth, my wife's family traditionally plays mah-jongg at family gatherings, and Ra was a big hit with a number of them.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Rummikub We picked it up at Goodwill recently, and we had a blast playing. It's a low key game.....by that I mean you can easily carry on a good conversation while playing......yet it's surprisingly competitive. Because it's similar to Rummy, it's very easy to explain. You don't even need a rules explanation.....just have them draw their tiles and begin. You explain more as you are playing.

Also, consider Sequence To me it has a similar feel to Rummikub in that it facilitates conversation as you play. Both are great family reunion games....although Rummikub is limited to 4.

+1 Carcassonne. If you want to have her broaden her view of board games, this would be a good game to introduce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu...I love Mah Jongg, and Tichu is a good contender.

For outside the normal box...Maybe 7 Wonders,Frank's Zoo,Ingenious,PAX,Raj,Saboteur,Taj Mahal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roni Worley
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite games are Mahjong and Tichu. Another game I love because it feels like a combination of the two is Lectio. It has chunky tiles like Mahjong does and it also uses money chips similar to Mahjong. Maybe she'd like that.

Unfortunately I don't think it's readly available yet, though I think it's supposed to be reprinted soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
The last time I visited my mom (a year ago), she had gotten heavily into mah jongg. There's obviously a social element to it for her, but from knowing her, I was thinking that a game which offers a similar type of fun might be a nice gift for her.

So: similar mechanics and/or vibe to mah jongg, relatively approachable for someone who hasn't played modern hobby games.

Big bonus points if it's good for 2 or 3.

Medium bonus points if it has attractive pieces or a gently quirky theme. (Bohnanza is probably too goofy, in addition to wanting more players. Ticket To Ride is too dry.)

Minor bonus points if it's something her Vlaada-and-Dominion-loving gamer son (that's me) would enjoy but would not consistently trounce her at if we play a handful of times while I'm home.

Many thanks for any suggestions you have!

Like someone else said, the best match to Mahjong would be a set collection game.

+1 to the Sequence suggestion. It's relatively cheap, too; so if nothing else, you have a game that you can bring out during a party and still have a regular conversation while playing.

I was actually going to suggest Ticket To Ride. I'm not sure why you think it's too dry ... I'd say that Mahjong is the same level of "dryness" ... unless your mom plays it with the money and betting aspect.

Now ... the real question is : "Who does your mom play Mahjong with?" More than likely, the enjoyment your mom is going to get out of playing a game will also depend on whether the other player(s) enjoy it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
I was actually going to suggest Ticket To Ride. I'm not sure why you think it's too dry ... I'd say that Mahjong is the same level of "dryness" ... unless your mom plays it with the money and betting aspect.

Fair question! I meant specifically the theme... but even then, I suppose I was thinking more of my mom's particular personality than anything inherent in the game.

Mah Jongg has no real theme as such, but there's dragons and bamboo and the four winds. I suspect these are pleasingly outside of the range of things my mom normally thinks about, while trains are familiar enough that the game would seem kind of bland to her. But I'm kind of guessing here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
My mom loves mah jongg; she might also like _____

The Lifetime channel?

Yes, Rummikub is a good bet. Also, the card game Canasta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Dominion with your mother?

Around here you can sometimes find the members of the Mahjong society playing Dominion with the board gaming society as they wait for the other mahjong society members to show up. Set is also popular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about getting her Mhing which is a card version of mah jong but that plays 2-6.

I realize that you were probably wishing to get her something more 'different' but if she really likes mah jong, but doesn't always have the right player numbers, this might be really appreciated. You can pick up copies on ebay, and I've also seen a few copies in charity shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
entwife wrote:
What about getting her Mhing which is a card version of mah jong but that plays 2-6.

I realize that you were probably wishing to get her something more 'different' but if she really likes mah jong, but doesn't always have the right player numbers, this might be really appreciated. You can pick up copies on ebay, and I've also seen a few copies in charity shops.

Apparently you can play it in bed too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the ideas, everyone! I will be looking into all of these (and Rummikub in particular seems striking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:

No, she lives quite a distance away and the fact that Mah Jongg is in fact a board game only struck me after the last time I was there.

I have a sense that the variable setup would be frustratingly unintuitive to her. "Can I buy a Village? Those were really useful. Why not? Not even if I pay extra?"

Interesting to hear it's such a crossover hit in your experience, though! I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George C.
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be good for light plays but I would suggest Plato 3000. It is basically a rummy/set collection card game so it has a mah jong like feel. I have had three copies and had all three taken by or given to three women I know who are light or non gamers. A coworker for her and her friends "Hen Parties", her words, not mine, A mom who sounds similar to yours and a woman just turning 30. All liked it enough to keep the copy I had at the time .

I like it too and need to get another copy (I also grew up playing mah jong)...that I'll hold onto this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

No, she lives quite a distance away and the fact that Mah Jongg is in fact a board game only struck me after the last time I was there.

I have a sense that the variable setup would be frustratingly unintuitive to her. "Can I buy a Village? Those were really useful. Why not? Not even if I pay extra?"

Interesting to hear it's such a crossover hit in your experience, though! I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.

I would certainly introduce the game with just the "basic" set first. My family and I have played the game about 10 times over the past 2 years, and all 10-or-so games have used just the basic set. They haven't gotten tired of those cards yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu. And a way-out-of-left-field suggestion would be Hive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David S
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Currently listening to: "Infinite Presence in a Violent Universe" by Synodic
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
Tichu. And a way-out-of-left-field suggestion would be Hive.

+1

I was going to suggest Hive as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss out Qwirkle or Qwirkle Cubes. Colorful pieces that are easy to grasp, and simple rules. Despite it's simplicity, every game is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vivienne Raper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Left-field: Taluva or Carcassonne.

I like computer Mahjong because I like puzzling out which bits to remove off a 3D structure. Taluva is 3D. Carcassonne has that 'puzzling an object into place' feeling in spades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
veemonroe wrote:
Left-field: Taluva or Carcassonne.

I like computer Mahjong because I like puzzling out which bits to remove off a 3D structure. Taluva is 3D. Carcassonne has that 'puzzling an object into place' feeling in spades.

I'm not sure what version of Mahjong the OP has, but the traditional version is not the "match up tiles" video version. Best western analog to Mahjong is Rummy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was in a golf club bar in Vermont a couple months ago, and I saw 5 or 6 silver-haired ladies playing a tile game. I asked them what it was and they said it was the Mexican Train Game. They were having a great time playing it. So, for another tile game, you might want to check it out.

Speaking of tile games, Hive is a real good one, but it's just two-person and pretty intense.

Edit: sorry about all the typos above. IPad is a pain in the butt to type on.

2nd edit: I fixed all the IPad typos -- I hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.