El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
Unfortunately, though, it took me over half the game to draw either a Special Order or Gordian Blade to complete my rig.

That has been my saving grace this game. While no Enigmas have been rezzed, two were installed, and I knew I could trust them to hold off FileAccess for a short while.

FileAccess wrote:
I did make a few runs beforehand and managed to steal an Astroscript in the process, but it didn't turn out to make much of a difference in the end.

The relevant turn:
FileAccess wrote:
3 Credits
Draw Stimhack
Tinkering, ICE2 RS1
Stimhack RS1
--ICE2: no rez
--ICE1: Data Raven
--Take tag
--Break
--Successful run, access Astroscript, steal
--Brain damage, discard Personal Touch
Magnum

I wanted to smoke a Tinkering and had to decide between Astroscript and PSF. Both had their merits. At the end I reached the conclusion that PSF will apply more pressure than Astroscript as far as tags are concerned, and let FileAccess score Astroscript.

FileAccess wrote:
I was certainly quite concerned to let a couple of Data Raven tags stay on me, but I didn't feel like I had the choice not to. I needed to get Melange out of operation and didn't want to let Iirion score an agenda while I recovered. In the end these tags didn't seem to matter, thankfully.

As I stated before, this deck runs just one Scorched Earth (and just one Closed Accounts). The existence of these cards should be enough to keep a good Runner weary. I trust Aggressive Negotiations to fetch them if they're actually needed.

FileAccess wrote:
I'd been keeping track of my hand size throughout the game having been single Scorched Earth to death in the past. The early Stimhack didn't help with this, and in the end Scorched Earth plus Private Security Forces managed to do me in.

As an Anarch enthusiast, this is a painful point. Can the Runner afford an early game Stimhack vs. a deck with Scorched Earth? I am still not sure. The one Brain Damage makes Flatlining much easier in the presence of PSF. While I do not mind early Stimhacks vs. other Corps, it is a touch decision with Weyland and a Scorched Earth NBN.

An aside question to FileAccess: when you received your Tags I spent two Clicks drawing, hoping for a lucky Scorched Earth (which did not materialize). Right after you removed the tags, I drew a Ghost Branch and exclaimed "NOW I get it...", to which you smiled and said "Scorched Earth?". I nodded (but, again, it was actually a Ghost Branch). Did the bluff work? Did my little show influence your game?

FileAccess wrote:
Something else I've been trying to work on as of late is running HQ more often and not letting the Corp feel that HQ is a safe haven for agendas. I did an HQ run once, but never got around to doing it again. Given the game length it should have been more clear to me that Iirion pretty much had to be holding a significant number of agendas. I'd thought as much given his actions, but I should have taken more effort to run HQ.

I agree, as we discussed I actually finished the game with my two Priority Requisition (plus Snare!). The fact you do not run HQ made my life easier, since both PriReqs were in my hand I knew that there are non in R&D. While running HQ is less relevant vs. HB, it's important against the other Corps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
Good question. I'm honestly not sure that I believed you or not. By the time you'd actually picked it I had to assume you had it in hand anyway, and even though you'd previously said you only run one Closed Accounts I didn't want to rely on that in the event you'd changed your deck since last we'd played.

*laughing* I was actually very truthful when I said there's only one Closed Accounts, for an obvious reason: I wanted you to Magnum rather than ponder the option of running RS1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
It's good to see other people out there running NBN. :) Word on the street is that NBN is the worst corp to play, but I've had a lot of fun and a lot of wins with them.

I think you hit the key when you said that you only need one Scorched Earth and one Closed Accounts, as just the implied threat keeps the runner on his toes. This gives room for other credit making ventures and/or more ICE. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damocles346 wrote:
It's good to see other people out there running NBN. Word on the street is that NBN is the worst corp to play, but I've had a lot of fun and a lot of wins with them.

I wouldn't say it's the WORST Corp to play. The honor is reserved to Jinteki, in my opinion. NBN's in faction ICE suite is half decent and they have a use for Priority Requisition. I wouldn't play NBN in a competitive setting (I would go with HB or Weyland). Fortunately that would change with What Lies Ahead.

As I told FileAccess, I am going to shred my nine copies of Priority Requisition on that fateful day. Dear gods, I hate that Agenda so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
I would be happy to store them in a safe place for you so you don't have to destroy them.

If only I could trust you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey! Thanks for the report, hadn't had a chance to run through it before.

I think the one big mistake was the turn you Femme Fataled that Data Raven on HQ. You should have run HQ 3 times that turn. It's basically the same thing as a late game Sneakdoor. Perfect way to grab some of the agenda backlog on the cheap, and you've got to know that ICE is going down the very next turn, so you want to maximize your use of it.

That's one of my favorite ways to run HQ. Several times early game just to make them rez Ice. Then not at all for the majority of the game. Then 3 times on a single turn with a Sneakdoor, Femme, Parasite etc. something that leaves it wide open for that turn. Often that's all I need from HQ (Just talking Shaper / Anarch here of course)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.