Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a gift idea for a game for a friend. The game needs to play very well with 2 players but scale up to at least 4 players. Right now he and his wife enjoy San Juan and Ticket to Ride. I'd like something on the same level of complexity. Please list suggestions or point me towards an appropriate geeklist.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recommend:

* Finca
* Louis XIV
* Fresco
* Glen More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison dlr
United States
Belmont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis has some elements they'll be familiar with from Ticket to Ride, and it scales well 2-4 players.

Of course, there's always Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
I second Fresco and Dominion, and would also suggest Oregon, Maharani and Metropolys. (As for Glen More: I absolutely love that game, but is a significant step up from TTR in my eyes, so wouldn't be a natural recommendation for me given this question.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep! Unless the theme is a turn-off, I count this as probably the best "gateway" worker placement game out there (yes, better than Stone Age).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Africana. I'll always pick it over TtR. Works great with 2-4p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko
Notre Dame
Stone Age
+1 Finca
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spielguy wrote:
I'm looking for a gift idea for a game for a friend. The game needs to play very well with 2 players but scale up to at least 4 players. Right now he and his wife enjoy San Juan and Ticket to Ride. I'd like something on the same level of complexity. Please list suggestions or point me towards an appropriate geeklist.

Thanks for your help!

7 Wonders

Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hanging Gardens, Alea Iacta Est, Biblios, Masons, Metropolys, Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age, Sultan, Two by Two and Wasabi! are ones that may work. In my opinion they aren't that much more complex that the ones you've listed, but YMMV.

Good luck with your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis
Forbidden Island
Piece o' Cake
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
Ra: The Dice Game
Zooloretto
Airlines Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
König von Siam
Good with two, best with three, plays well with 4 (two sets of silent partners)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Brent!

+1 Finca
+1 Stone Age
Eminent Domain - Going off his liking for San Juan.
Peloponnes - See the walk-through video HERE.
Navegador - Slightly more complex, but worth it. And not too bad--especially if you'll be teaching/introducing it to them.
Goa - Also a step up in complexity, but still not too bad.

I hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of Finca love, and a lot of great ideas.

I went with Glen More.

Thanks everybody!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cayluster wrote:
Lords of Waterdeep! Unless the theme is a turn-off, I count this as probably the best "gateway" worker placement game out there (yes, better than Stone Age).

+1, I too found it more streamlined than Stone Age. Plays faster than Stone Age as well since there is no dice rolling.

Plus intrigue cards are fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blair46 wrote:
cayluster wrote:

+1, I too found it more streamlined than Stone Age. Plays faster than Stone Age as well since there is no dice rolling.

Plus intrigue cards are fun.

The last is the telling part. Either you get enough fun out of the intrigue cards, or you don't but can ignore them, or you cannot and this is no fun. or you can and wish there were more of them, I suppose....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game sounds heavy but it isn't. This is more fun for us than Dominion, which is admittedly the premiere deck-building game, but we just never wanted to play it because of the emphasis of having to pre-build your deck. In Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, you truly build your deck as you go along in a tactical way, so it feels a lot lighter to play. It is also much faster to play.

If you want to up your complexity a bit in a deck-builder, Thunderstone is pretty interesting and still feels different from Dominion. You might want to check out undeadviking's reviews of all three of these games, of which he is a fan.

Lords of Waterdeep is a questing themed euro - a light to midweight worker placement game in which you ultimately hire others to do your questing for you. It's fun to play with a good sense of game preogression.

Fresco has an unusual theme with a very interesting mechanic having to do with how early your artist gets up in the monring - early means better paints at the paintstore, but also means lousier artistic productivity, and veice versa. Fun and pretty too.

London is a card-driven game about rebuilding London after the terrible fire way back when. It's pretty abstract in feel - we never feel like we're actually rebuilding the city - but there are aspects of the game wihc are quite grounding - for instance, poverty is definitely a plague that you have to manage! Fun and fast playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.