Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know I probably sound like I'm starting to shill these things, but they are super useful for Dungeons and Dragons and I'm finding them more and more useful for board games with many figures.

I going through the very nice Super Dungeon Explore Watch it Played series and I noticed they had a confusing way to tell what has acted and what has not and markers cluttering the board for counting wounds on enemies.

In the video, they turn the figure a direction to denote if they've acted and to me at least, it's hard to tell at a glance what monsters have acted and what have not.

Alea Tools to the rescue!

I started using these with SDE because I was using the figures for Dungeons and Dragons (that's actually why I originally bought the game) and then got the idea while watching the above videos. I already have magnetic bases stuck to the bottom of the monsters so why not use them for the actual game too?

I bought a bunch of red markers for counting if they're wounded and I bought some blue ones to show if they've taken an action or not. I was going to go overboard and buy five of a color for each status ailment, but that felt like a little overboard.

I should get to play the game this weekend so hopefully I'll get to see how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them for this.

In fact, I use them for so many games...even the wife and kids are coming up with ideas of how to use them in family games we play. For example; My copy of Lemming Mafia has a dedicated set of grey markers to replace the fiddly concrete boot pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very cool looking accessory, I may grab a few myself! Thanks for sharing.

We don't use extras like this in our play throughs because we try to show a gamer what they get in the box, and how that plays, but this looks like a very good option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan K
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How do you guys mark things like the Smoke field from the flinger?

The smoke is left for an entire round (until the flinger's next activation), and it is easy to forget that it's there or that it blocks line of sight. Especially if you're using two smoke walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Schultz
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zone effects and aura's can be noted with a set of "Multi-color Boundary Tokens" from Litko:

http://www.litko.net/products/Multi%252dcolor-Boundary-Token...

Basically just right angles of color plastic that can adjust to whatever size square you need from 1 square using two, or using four and just move them out the corners to whatever size zone you need marked in a game.

Some time ago somebody was making much cooler looking once that were right angles but sculpted up in translucent plastic to look like fire, smoke, etc., but I cannot remember who made them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
This is a very cool looking accessory, I may grab a few myself! Thanks for sharing.

We don't use extras like this in our play throughs because we try to show a gamer what they get in the box, and how that plays, but this looks like a very good option.

Glad you like them, just a word of warning: the urge to resist fiddling with these during a game is impossible.

Fenton wrote:
Zone effects and aura's can be noted with a set of "Multi-color Boundary Tokens" from Litko:

http://www.litko.net/products/Multi%252dcolor-Boundary-Token...

Basically just right angles of color plastic that can adjust to whatever size square you need from 1 square using two, or using four and just move them out the corners to whatever size zone you need marked in a game.

Some time ago somebody was making much cooler looking once that were right angles but sculpted up in translucent plastic to look like fire, smoke, etc., but I cannot remember who made them.

Those are awesome! I generally just use the little gemstones but those often get in the way but these are pretty cool. Definitely picking some of these up, thanks for the link!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it! Two game enhancement products I was completely unaware of and excellent examples of usage. I'm in for both! Thanks you guys

After doing a bit of measuring, it looks like the 13/16" conversion circles will just fit inside the outer ring of the bases for the SDE minis. Do you all think I'll get good enough grip on just the slot on the bottom of the base as opposed to the 1" conversion that would make contact with the entire circumference of the base, but protrude from the edges a tiny bit?

Edit:added base comment and pic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twesterm
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ZillaGod wrote:
I love it! Two game enhancement products I was completely unaware of and excellent examples of usage. I'm in for both! Thanks you guys

After doing a bit of measuring, it looks like the 13/16" conversion circles will just fit inside the outer ring of the bases for the SDE minis. Do you all think I'll get good enough grip on just the slot on the bottom of the base as opposed to the 1" conversion that would make contact with the entire circumference of the base, but protrude from the edges a tiny bit?

Edit:added base comment and pic

I've been using the standard 1" bases for all mine and it hasn't been a problem. You have to deal with the sticky side, but it doesn't bother me too much. Even though the conversion circles don't have a lot of contact with the base they stay on good and tight and you're never really tugging on those anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just what I needed to know. Thanks Tdub!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also buy those sheets of sticky backed magnet "paper" and cut them to size. thin, light, pretty cheap...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to report back that the Alea bases are awesome for this application. I haven't been able to actually play a game with them yet but they stick well and look great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.