designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Place: High Wycombe
The Time: Tuesday Evening
The Cast: Big Carl, Tony Bee and 'The Beard'

There was a rappetty-tappetty at the door heralding the arrival of Uncles Steve and Alex - so now we were five. In between ordering the supper, there was a delightful little dance around what game would be played for the main course – would it be Snowdonia with the Jungfrau expansion prototype? Not tonight (it’s 4pl max), so would it be Ruhrschifffahrt? No – that name just makes me snigger and, besides, it’s perhaps a bit ‘dry’ for a more mainstream session. How about Ground Floor? Much more of a happy noise reception for this, only Uncle Steve thinks he’s left the sticky board on his dining table or – more accurately – he seems to be blaming Alex for leaving it on the table! Carson City it is then – a trifle long for 5, perhaps, but both Steve and Richard had packed it into their satchels, so that counts as a unanimous vote of some kind I suppose. Carson City it is...but wait! Lo! Did no-one think to take one last look in the Ground Floor box? THERE it is, the board! No longer sticky, phew, and resplendent in it’s mostly-devoid-of-use-in-the game glory! Huzzah! Pack away the Cowboys, buster – it’s time to build things, drink brandy at 11am and mind our own business!

Only Alex and I were new to it, so cue: rules explanation from Richard interspersed with Steve and Carl messing about (Steve picking on Richard, and Carl telling Steve not to pick on Richard then picking on Richard himself). Eventually *sigh* we made it to the point of commencement – and it’s a nice, straightforward (mechanically) worker placement – or should that be “clock-punching, hour-by-hour time-and-motion study placement”? Players have staff (initially 1) that have a number of hours available to ‘do stuff’ in the working day – stuff one can do is:
to produce stuff (a single cube resource)
gain info through meetings
boost one’s popularity (turn order) by networking or exploiting the media (paper and broadcast)
trot off to a consultancy to ‘chat about stuff’ and gain lots of info
sell cubes for money and/or
build an office/entire floor of your ‘HQ’.

The hub of the game is balancing the twin currencies of money and information – you will need both, in varying degrees, to do all of the above and – as long as you’re high up in the turn order – you get to do some of it before everyone else (as per, this is vee important). The ‘floors’ and offices you buy give better (personal) worker placement spaces and victory points with, ultimately, the player on the most VPs winning.

My board at game end: 38 points and well-pleased with everything

It’s not a complicated game to learn from a rules perspective but there is a lot of subtle stuff going on here. It plays a tad long, initially, but I don’t see this as a problem at all – MANY games being released now take a few plays to get to basic grips with, then they speed up and become more rewarding. We just all need to be a little more patient – “you get out what you put in”, always. I was pleased with my “third of five” behind Alex – who kept a low profile and was ignored by the other ‘old hands’ – and Carl, who seems to ‘get it’.

One to explore again, most definitely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long was "a tad long" if I may ask?

My gaming group throws in the towel at 3 hours, so I'm just wondering if we can feasibly finish this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
How long was "a tad long" if I may ask?

My gaming group throws in the towel at 3 hours, so I'm just wondering if we can feasibly finish this game.

First game with rules run-through and parallel scoffing of takeaway was 3 hours...so, realistically, it was 135-150 mins. I can see this coming down to a comfortable 2 hours.

There's always good stuff to think about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
its a 3 player game max though... unless you have 4-5 hours to kill.

And I mean kill.. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.