9 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Repeatedly attacking a spawning ground rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
msg tools
This came up in a game today.

A player moved into a spawning grounds, and happened to flip two worms. He killed one but not the other, and remained in the space.

So he drew a third brown token, placed it face down on the space with the surviving worm, and round we went. In his next turn, he observed that he could just keep doing that for the rest of the game, deliberately only killing one of the enemies for perhaps 5 fame a turn at little risk.

He felt that was a bit cheesy and moved on, but I'm just curious if there's a) something that prevents that, b) if it's even a useful strategy, and c) how would you react in that situation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would be a pretty sure way to lose in a group that knew what they were doing. 5 fame a turn is nowhere near what you need to be competitive in the late game (when Spawning Grounds appear). In fact, you could do the same thing in a Dungeon much earlier in the game, but eventually your opponents would overtake you as their exploration leads to much juicier sources of fame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, why would fighting two brown enemies a turn, and killing only one of them, be a better source of fame than entering a dungeon every turn, to fight one enemy and kill it?

Re-entering a dungeon is occasionally a good idea. (Which just illustrates how great conquering a dungeon is, you get the fame for the enemy plus fame at the end of the game plus an artifact or spell!) But you wouldn't want to do it over and over for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
msg tools
We were decidedly short of good targets at that point. He was too weak to take out a city and wedged in with swamps and other high-cost hexes.

How many turns does an end-game round take? Maybe you have 23-24 cards in your deck, maybe plus some wounds, so perhaps 5-6? That'd be 25-30 fame over the course of the last night, and you have no need to spend cards on expensive move actions around the core tiles. That's about what you get for a city counting end-game points, or perhaps a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's too weak to take out a level 4 city at the end of the game, then he's not going to win. He's also going to have a lot of trouble fighting two brown monsters every round without taking any wounds.

It's a strategy you can try. I don't think anyone has actually seen it be successful. I'm not going to worry about it at least until I see a lot of reports of people actually winning games this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Well it does beat the "Sit in a tower and buy spells every turn" strategy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

Clearly it's beaten by the "sit in a dungeon and kill monsters every turn 'strategy'" since you have one fewer enemy to block each turn (although you need to to conform to night rules). And there are a lot more dungeons on the map than spawning grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike2468 wrote:

How many turns does an end-game round take? Maybe you have 23-24 cards in your deck, maybe plus some wounds, so perhaps 5-6? That'd be 25-30 fame over the course of the last night, and you have no need to spend cards on expensive move actions around the core tiles. That's about what you get for a city counting end-game points, or perhaps a little more.

Right, but you should be able to take out more than just a city over the course of 5-6 turns. 25-30 fame in the last round is insignificant when you consider winning scores are usually well above 120, and you should be getting the majority of your fame in the later rounds of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your basic deck is not going to let you keep whacking brown monsters every turn without cost (Wounds and forgone turns). Adding one or two more Advanced Actions, or Artifacts, or Spells would not improve the profitability by much.

If the other Mage Knights are not playing effectively for a city-clearing end, you might claim victory by clearing browns. If they are, however, they would be clearing a few Draconums along the way, taking Artifacts and Spells (whilst clearing out the defenders), and conquering the cities (and buying Elite Units, Advanced Actions, Artifacts, Spells after doing so).

It is all theory-craft but I would say it (winning on repeatedly killing browns) all depends on the number of other players and the quality of their play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.