Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you have two of the same upgrade in the same server?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why not, as long as you can have more than one of that particular Upgrade in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Cruz
Portugal
Arcozelo - Vila Nova de Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly you can. It will lead to a confusion on the runner's mind, but that what this game's all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two Red Herring, yum!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can't have more than 1 region per server (e.g. SanSan)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrrrmmm wrote:

Very true, and good to point out. It says it on the card, but sometimes pointing it out in a discussion can be helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a remote server:
up to one Agenda OR Asset
up to one Location
any number of non-Location upgrades

In a central server:
up to one Location
any number of non-Location upgrades

You can certainly have multiples of the same title, though it doesn't make sense except for a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
Hrrrmmm wrote:

Very true, and good to point out. It says it on the card, but sometimes pointing it out in a discussion can be helpful.

I am not sure, but I think that you can have more SanSan installed, just not rezzed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Gamer Curator
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Two Red Herring, yum!!

I don't think this actually makes the runner pay 10 credits to steal the agenda. The card doesn't say 5 more credits. I think it would just be 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
I am not sure, but I think that you can have more SanSan installed, just not rezzed.

This is incorrect. You may only have one Region per server, rezzed or unrezzed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lindsay
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vodnyk wrote:
Kengi wrote:
Hrrrmmm wrote:

That's true for unique cards, where you can only have more than 1 copy of a unique card installed as long as only one is rezzed.

Rulebook wrote:
Note: The Corporation can only have one upgrade with the
region subtype installed per server or server root, as listed in
the text box of these cards.

For regions however it creates an illegal game state to even install a 2nd one in a server that already has one, even if the 2nd remains unrezzed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixelpoop wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
Two Red Herring, yum!!

I don't think this actually makes the runner pay 10 credits to steal the agenda. The card doesn't say 5 more credits. I think it would just be 5.

Each Red Herring triggers separately. The Runner must pay an additional 5 Credits for each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heartthrob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Pixelpoop wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
Two Red Herring, yum!!

The card text reads:

"Each time the Runner accesses an agenda from this server, he or she must pay 5 credits as an additional cost in order to steal it..."

Wouldn't the "additional cost" allow 2 herrings to force the runner to pay 10 credits? Each one would make it an individual additional cost of 5 in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milan Mašát
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrrrmmm wrote:
Rulebook wrote:
Note: The Corporation can only have one upgrade with the
region subtype installed per server or server root, as listed in
the text box of these cards.

For regions however it creates an illegal game state to even install a 2nd one in a server that already has one, even if the 2nd remains unrezzed.

Thank you for clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrrrmmm wrote:

Why is this? While the second one is unrezzed its text is inactive, so why would it be illegal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hrrrmmm wrote:

Why is this? While the second one is unrezzed its text is inactive, so why would it be illegal?

Per the rules on page 13, under Installing Cards, Upgrades (as quoted above), you may not have two regions installed on the same server. The rules check for installing, not rezzed, for this stipulation.

Also, what makes you think text of unrezzed cards are inactive? The card itself is inactive (per the box on page 12), but text on the card can still impact the game state. For example, the text of all current ambush cards specify that they can be advanced - their text clearly impacts the card while it is unrezzed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripshawd wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Hrrrmmm wrote:

Per the rules on page 13, under Installing Cards, Upgrades (as quoted above), you may not have two regions installed on the same server. The rules check for installing, not rezzed, for this stipulation.

Fair enough, though it seems like an odd exception to make as inactive cards do not affect the game state. I would not be surprised if this was just an oversight of bad wording on FFG's part; after all, the entry in the rulebook is pretty redundant, as this restriction is already on the cards, and seems to be a clarification more than anything else (it does say "as listed on the card.").

Quote:
Also, what makes you think text of unrezzed cards are inactive? The card itself is inactive (per the box on page 12), but text on the card can still impact the game state. For example, the text of all current ambush cards specify that they can be advanced - their text clearly impacts the card while it is unrezzed.

Pg.5: An inactive card's abilities do not affect the game and cannot be triggered.

An exception is made for cards that can be advanced on pg.14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Pg.5: An inactive card's abilities do not affect the game and cannot be triggered.

An exception is made for cards that can be advanced on pg.14.
This will teach me to do a better search for the word 'inactive'! Thanks!

To boost the exact opposite argument I just made, as the Corp, you may install more than one copy of a Unique card as long as only one copy is active (pg. 11). That does make it seem odd that a server cannot have more than one Region as long as only one is active. Granted, uniqueness are not the same as regions. Just added this for the sake of discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the reason for the different treatment of regions vs. uniques is that installing multiple regions to the same server would allow you to choose the more advantageous region to rez based on the immediate circumstance. With uniques, it's not an issue, because they're the same. But regions can be different effects while retaining the limit of only one of those effects can be active.

Giving that choice was probably deemed too powerful.

(For instance: I install SanSan and ChiLo to the same server. If the runner runs, I rez ChiLo and hit him with the extra trace punishment. If he doesn't, I have pre-installed my fast-advance SanSan into the server with enough ice to protect a Priority Req or Executive Retreat -- this is essentially the situation the one region per server is intended to prevent)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense to me.

Thematically, you can have a sysop managing servers in different places remotely, but not at the same time. You can't have a sever physically located in two different regions ever. It's the location the server is physically located in that gives it the benefit.

Mechanically, region =/= unique, so why would anyone expect the rules to apply to them both the same way?

Quote:
Note: The Corporation can only have one upgrade with the region subtype installed per server or server root, as listed in the text box of these cards.

Quote:
Some cards have a unique symbol (◆) in front of their title. There can be only one unique card of the same title active at a time. If a card with a unique title becomes active, any other card that shares its title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be prevented.

This doesn't sound like FFG wording something incorrectly. This sounds like a design choice to me.

*Edit*

From the original Netrunner

Rez a region when you install it. Install a region only if you can pay to rez it. Only one region may be installed in each fort. Trash older ones.

Same situation back then. You couldn't have two installed at once. Nothing about rezzing here at all. The only difference now is that we don't have to rez it on install. I guess we are on the honor system now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Some cards have a unique symbol (◆) in front of their title. There can be only one unique card of the same title active at a time. If a card with a unique title becomes active, any other card that shares its title is immediately trashed. This trashing cannot be prevented.

IDEA!

In future there could be unique cards that both corp and runner would have, and rezzing one kills the other... Kinda like a double agent type vibe. Hmmmm, imba?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.