Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

As you may have already seen, the map art for the game is 99% done. It's a striking piece of art!

Currently the game has been priced for a cardstock map. Not a mounted map. We've asked what it would take to get a mounted map and the bottom line is this:

More preorders. About 100 of them. If we could get a bunch of new preorders in the next month, it may be enough to get the upgraded component. So if this game is of interest to you, please preorder today!

Thanks!

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I hadn't already pre-ordered, this probably would have sealed the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, that's one excellent map. I remember playtesting a very early version of the game so it's amazing to see the evolution to this.

I'm wondering whether you need to try and promote this game more widely on BGG to get those extra 100 or so preorders, perhaps with a front page designer's diary. Not sure how you go about that but W Eric Martin is your man.

Unless this image hits the front page then the only exposure it'll get will be to those subscribing to the game updates and those getting the GMT updates. But I'm sure there's an untapped market on BGG for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Martin
United Kingdom
Liverpool
Merseyside
flag msg tools
Sanctify!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, whatever you can do to promote this, please do so! I want this game, and I'd really like it to have a mounted board too. I've already pre-ordered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Thumbing this and the picture will bring it to the front page too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oeolycus wrote:
Thumbing this and the picture will bring it to the front page too.

Well, the image is front page at the moment, so keep those thumbs coming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob White
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered a long time ago. The old board looked cool and this board looks even awesomer (should be a word). Hate to be a form over function kind of guy, but I might pull back my pre-order if it stays a cardstock board. I totally get that mounted board = more money, but for me it's an expense that's worth paying. Big difference. I know I'm not speaking for everyone.

Good luck making it happen Joel. And congrats on all you've done so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Goff
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
joel_m_toppen wrote:
Currently the game has been priced for a cardstock map. Not a mounted map. We've asked what it would take to get a mounted map and the bottom line is this:

More preorders. About 100 of them. If we could get a bunch of new preorders in the next month, it may be enough to get the upgraded component. So if this game is of interest to you, please preorder today!

-Joel

Maybe a Kickstarter for a mounted board??? $5-$10 for a mounted map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, pre-orders are at 687, which is good. So I don't understand, when Andean Abyss went to production it was around that and had a mounted board, so why wouldn't Navajo Wars get a mounted board? Is it because they don't project NW to do that many orders once or after it is initially shipped? I'm fine either way, but if it hits 700 pre-orders, it should get a mounted map in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoah! I just discovered this game thanks to the image's front page status.
I'm always on the look-out for a good solitaire game.
I'm subscribed and considering pre-ordering!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Christmas
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Well, pre-orders are at 687, which is good. So I don't understand, when Andean Abyss went to production it was around that and had a mounted board, so why wouldn't Navajo Wars get a mounted board? Is it because they don't project NW to do that many orders once or after it is initially shipped? I'm fine either way, but if it hits 700 pre-orders, it should get a mounted map in my opinion.

/signed

You're absolutely right. It's too bad that some games are prefered by GMT and get more attention e.g. in production value than other games. I'm fine with cardstock but a mounted map would be gorgeous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Any news on the possibility of a mounted map? If GMT commits to it I will order immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Joel just mentioned in the GMT p500 geeklist that it was probably 900 preorders before a mounted map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT is reluctant to commit to an upgrade unless there are enough preorders at the current price point. That works out to be around 900.

When we first priced the game, a mounted map was going to push the preorder cost up to around $70 if I recall correctly. I felt that was too high and so we opted to go with a cardboard map. It was after seeing the striking artwork for the map that we've returned to see if the board could be upgraded.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any way for the public to track the number? Is it close? Is there still time?

Edit: I found the answer to most of my questions...

This game looks great and it would be a shame not to give it the treatment it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's already got some great treatment (not long on the P500!). I'd love a mounted map too but I understand the business decision. At least with a cardstock map, you can fit a counter tray or two inside the box. The Space Empires box will never sit flush again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a completely unrelated note, some nice fellow has made a couple micro badges for the game! Working on getting them approved. More details when I have them. Thanks for the support!

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice, I'd love the microbadge. Let us know. Any images of the final art work of the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Nice, I'd love the microbadge. Let us know. Any images of the final art work of the cards?

Nothing I can show publicly yet. We're looking at the second drafts at this point.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Bowden
Australia
Fountaindale
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh dear. Am I the only one who actually doesn't like the look of this board?

Not all of it - I'm just not sure about the spaces being represented by the coloured stones. I actually preferred the simpler spaces seen on the earlier version. I guess I would like the spaces to seem more like landscape than artistic representation...

But, hey, I still have my order in, and really look forward to playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem I have is the spaces as stones, otherwise I like how beautiful this board is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Smith
United States
Verona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is how you start a Monday, map will be mounted according to the monthly newsletter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This just in from GMT Games: http://www.gmtgames.com/news.aspx?showarticle=266

As requested, the map will be upgraded to a Mounted Map!

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.