Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or is it like comparing Olive Oil and Wine? In any event, I am thinking about getting one of these as my next game. Which do you prefer and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Or is it like comparing Olive Oil and Wine? In any event, I am thinking about getting one of these as my next game. Which do you prefer and why?

Judging by the games you rate highly, I would think Colosseum as having an edge over Kingdom Builder. But then, they're so radically different that it's hard to really say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder is essentially a very fast-playing abstract game of grabbing territory. The board and the end-game scoring conditions are variable and the components are very nice. Everything works well.

Colosseum is much more busy and varied. You could probably play a game of Kingdom Builder in the time it takes to set up and put away Colosseum. Your goal is to perform that "one perfect show" in your colosseum. You've got to manage your assets, your money, and watch the position of the caesar and the other dignitaries. If you choose this game, be sure to play with the official auction variant, which adds a lot to the game.

My opinion is that Colosseum is the better game. Kingdom Builder is just so light and it doesn't have much room for big decisions or planning. Colosseum does suffer a bit from being somewhat predictable after several plays... but not too badly.

I own and continue to play both games.

Hopefully that helps you decide based on what you're most looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colosseum!

http://boardgamegeek.com/video/21232/colosseum/meeples-on-me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wasn't overly fond of Colosseum when I first played it, however, that was a long time ago - should give it another shot.

I haven't looked at the games you own but if you don't have Tribune: Primus Inter Pares I think is a good alternative to either. But if your hell bent on what you have mentioned go for Kindom Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally love Colosseum and see it being a game that will always remain in my collection. I haven't played a game quite like it and mechanically it really fits the theme in a lot of ways.

Also, I hear it is OOP right now, so if you also find that of any worth you may want to snatch up a copy before it gets any more difficult to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
What about these games appeal to you? Personal I find them both pretty wretched.

Edit: Seconding the awesome Tribune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.