Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few java games on my Windows 7 computer, but I haven't played them in a good while.

Today I decided to play "Javaquarius", the java implementation of Looney Labs' game "Aquarius". I've played this many times before, but it's just been a long time.

When I double-clicked on the file, Firefox opened (I've switched to Chrome), and I got a message saying the addon couldn't be installed because it is corrupt. This happened every time I tried the start the game.

I located the file, right-clicked on it, and selected "Open with..." I then selected "Java launcher" and the Java 7 splash screen appeared for a few minutes, then disappeared and then I got a message saying the file couldn't be launched.

So then I right-clicked on the java file and tried opening it with Chrome. All of a sudden, a "Save" dialog box opened and asked where I wanted to save the file!

So, then I went to some other small java games I have on this computer, and each one did the same thing as listed above.

Not at all sure what to do next, but I sure would like to get my games working. Any and all advice appreciated...

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried going to the command line and running it there? What kind of output does that produce?

It sounds like you are using Java 7. I don't think this would be an issue, but perhaps something in the code is using an old deprecated method that may have been removed from Java 7?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Have you tried going to the command line and running it there? What kind of output does that produce?

It sounds like you are using Java 7. I don't think this would be an issue, but perhaps something in the code is using an old deprecated method that may have been removed from Java 7?

I tried the command line and got the same results (Java splash screen, then "Failed to launch" message).

????

Thanks,
jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very odd. No stack trace in the command window?

I haven't used Java in Windows 7 for awhile; I can give it a try next time I'm logged in. Can I find that program here on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:

I haven't used Java in Windows 7 for awhile; I can give it a try next time I'm logged in. Can I find that program here on BGG?

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

The file is not on BGG, but here's where it can be downloaded...

http://www.koryheath.com/games/javaquarius/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrbentley wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

The file is not on BGG, but here's where it can be downloaded...

http://www.koryheath.com/games/javaquarius/

I can report that I had no problems on either Mac OS or Windows 7... both running Java 7. I'd try upgrading / re-installing Java.

To confirm... at the command line you ran: java -jar javaquarius.jar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the delay on my part; I don't boot into Windows very often. I just did, though, and have no problems running it. As the above poster mentions, perhaps it's worth removing and re-installing Java?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.